Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Premier division (Valley v Sth east on the weekend)

Scoring shots

42 v 9 (Crandbourne v Wandin) Cranbourne 17 in the last quarter

31 v 12 (Narre v Woori)

30 v 7 (Beaconsfield v Olinda) Olinda had scored 3 points @ 3 quarter time

103 v 28 (total scoring shots)

Definitely sustainable ;);)
Just need to embrace the challenge though........
With the above sort of showcases on display, crowd numbers will definitely continue to swell......

spare me.

Scoring shots

31 v 12 (Narre v Woori)

Hey but look a the crowds

Games cancelled on the weekend (as they should be) however who does this help and who doesn’t it help.

Seems strange that you can’t just move this cancelled round to end of the year and drop of last round. To have some teams play one team once and others 3 times doesn’t seem fair and equitable.

Let’s hope it’s only one week of footy we miss out on, stay safe everyone.

Games cancelled on the weekend (as they should be) however who does this help and who doesn’t it help.

Seems strange that you can’t just move this cancelled round to end of the year and drop of last round. To have some teams play one team once and others 3 times doesn’t seem fair and equitable.

First thing I thought of with how the draws done. Just move this game back a week than drop the triple up games.

Assuming the lockdown doesn't get extended beyond 7 days, this round could just be pushed back 2 weeks to the Bye Round on June 12 which was set aside for interleague. Could be some logistical issues for clubs involved and the League with that but the League Rules don't allow for that anyway.

The current rules are here:

Assuming the lockdown doesn't get extended beyond 7 days, this round could just be pushed back 2 weeks to the Bye Round on June 12 which was set aside for interleague. Could be some logistical issues for clubs involved and the League with that but the League Rules don't allow for that anyway.

The current rules are here:

Ridiculous if they don't modify the fixture to suit the remaining games.

Seeing as the clubs and the league sat down at start of the year and agreed what should be done should any scenario play out and documented it in an organised fashion, I can't see them changing because someone on BigFooty wanted it done differently! I'm sure that if it was an issue then clubs would have spoken up earlier in the season. I'm inclined to think that most people are just happy to have any sort of footy happening!

Seeing as the clubs and the league sat down at start of the year and agreed what should be done should any scenario play out and documented it in an organised fashion, I can't see them changing because someone on BigFooty wanted it done differently! I'm sure that if it was an issue then clubs would have spoken up earlier in the season. I'm inclined to think that most people are just happy to have any sort of footy happening!

With the draw already compromised dropping one game makes it a joke . Very easy fix and makes the draw fair for all.

Scoring shots

31 v 12 (Narre v Woori)

Ugly stuff

Can't believe the Outer South East is still a problem after decades and decades.

The area grew an enormous amount and footy simply didn't change with it.

These are not just suburbs... they're some of the biggest suburbs in Melbourne and indeed Australia.

They have been a problem for so long... the MPNFL didn't want them, their own comp didn't work, now they've been put in probably the most mismatched competition in the YVMDFL.

It's not like there is a lack of options either.

Been saying for a long time, as have many people, that AFL Vic need to step in a fix this problem once and for all. It's embarrassing that it's been going on for so long.

All of the South East clubs need to nominate which comp they want to go into and subject to it being competitive (which the YVMDFL move wasn't), AFL Vic need to push it through.

Whether that's EFL, SFL, MPNFL, WGFNL, whatever. There's lot of options.

We're MPNFL we can't have Cranbourne... bad luck, one slightly longer away trip won't kill you

We can't play on the same day and place as our netball team... that's not really a reason to destroy a whole football comp

These aren't country footy clubs and haven't been for a long, long, long time. Just fix it ffs. It's about participation and for that you need competitive games, divisions and leagues.

All of the South East clubs need to nominate which comp they want to go into and subject to it being competitive (which the YVMDFL move wasn't), AFL Vic need to push it through.

Whether that's EFL, SFL, MPNFL, WGFNL, whatever. There's lot of options.
But that's the whole problem, none of these comps are much of a better fit. In regards to competitiveness, Narre Warren, Cranbourne & Beaconsfield would only be suited to EFL or MPNFL, but existing clubs don't want them mainly due to geography.

Would you be happy to keep Doveton, Pakenham & Officer who seem to have found their level?

But that's the whole problem, none of these comps are much of a better fit. In regards to competitiveness, Narre Warren, Cranbourne & Beaconsfield would only be suited to EFL or MPNFL, but existing clubs don't want them mainly due to geography.

Would you be happy to keep Doveton, Pakenham & Officer who seem to have found their level?

The EFL let Berwick in so I doubt they'd have much of an issue with these others

The MPNFL need to suck it up.

That's where AFL Vic need to step in and fix it. The most important thing is competitive footy.

----------

My own thoughts - IMO it should have been fixed years ago by splitting the MPNFL which has become this strange half country / half city arrangement.

All the MPNFL clubs south of Frankston (genuine Peninsula clubs) should have their own comp - that's what they all want anyway from a geographic perspective.

The MPNFL clubs in Frankston and North of Frankston in another comp with the South East clubs. A proper South-East metro league.

Two divisions of Edi-Asp, Chelsea, Bonbeach, Seaford, Pines, YCW, Bombers, Karingal, Langwarrin, Devon Meadows, Cranbourne, Berwick, Berwick Springs, Pakenham, Officer, Beacy, Narre and Doveton.

If there's any clubs really mismatched then you have the SFL right there too which is another option.

The strange thing about the MPNFL is none of the clubs down the Peninsula even wanted it. They were happy playing among themselves. Yet it exists for... what reason? And it has stopped there being this logical South-East metro league.

The EFL let Berwick in so I doubt they'd have much of an issue with these others

That's where AFL Vic need to step in and fix it. The most important thing is competitive footy.

----------

My own thoughts - IMO it should have been fixed years ago by splitting the MPNFL which has become this strange half country / half city arrangement.

All the MPNFL clubs south of Frankston (genuine Peninsula clubs) should have their own comp - that's what they all want anyway from a geographic perspective.

The MPNFL clubs in Frankston and North of Frankston in another comp with the South East clubs. A proper South-East metro league.

Two divisions of Edi-Asp, Chelsea, Bonbeach, Seaford, Pines, YCW, Bombers, Karingal, Langwarrin, Devon Meadows, Cranbourne, Berwick, Berwick Springs, Pakenham, Officer, Beacy, Narre and Doveton.

If there's any clubs really mismatched then you have the SFL right there too which is another option.

The strange thing about the MPNFL is none of the clubs down the Peninsula even wanted it. They were happy playing among themselves. Yet it exists for... what reason? And it has stopped there being this logical South-East metro league.
You do realise they pretty much had this arrangement 20+ years ago?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be. You're a nice guy, and handsome too.
You must admit that AFL Vic doesn't have a terrific record in recent times though. The accidental release from AFL Vic's Wuhan laboratory in 2019 was a prime example.
Yeah we've made a few monumental stuff ups and we haven't a clue how to fix them.

----------

This. And had it happened at the right time you could potentially throw noble into that mix as well...can’t see it happening at least in the form outlined there...as I think Berwick happy in efl, but a league of say edi asp Chelsea bonbeach seaford pines ycw bombers karingal langy cranny is a solid 10. If they want decent competition and travel not the issue they can have beacy and narre as well.

Then go the peninsula - 2 divs with mt Eliza morno dromana rosebud rye sorrento Somerville pearcedale Devon meadows hastings say in 1 (pearcedale May not be up to this standard). Div 2 could be crib point and a heap of southern sides like CPL, Frankston dolphins, south mornington, even Chelsea heights potentially

And then the yvmdl goes back to what it was - they can keep officer dovey and pakky if they want

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This. And had it happened at the right time you could potentially throw noble into that mix as well...can’t see it happening at least in the form outlined there...as I think Berwick happy in efl, but a league of say edi asp Chelsea bonbeach seaford pines ycw bombers karingal langy cranny is a solid 10. If they want decent competition and travel not the issue they can have beacy and narre as well.

Then go the peninsula - 2 divs with mt Eliza morno dromana rosebud rye sorrento Somerville pearcedale Devon meadows hastings say in 1 (pearcedale May not be up to this standard). Div 2 could be crib point and a heap of southern sides like CPL, Frankston dolphins, south mornington, even Chelsea heights potentially

And then the yvmdl goes back to what it was - they can keep officer dovey and pakky if they want

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There was a review into South-East footy some years ago which recommended - for what reasons I dunno, it's no longer online - that the Peninsula, Nepean and Casey-Cardinia divisions be replaced with three promotion / relegation divisions.

The Southern peninsula clubs immediately said no as they didn't want to travel to the Casey-Cardinia clubs. So they ended up merging just the two, Peninsula and Nepean. The Southern Peninsula clubs didn't even want that.

I would've thought the logical path was to instead exclude the Southern clubs who never wanted to merge. But no...

Yeah, the problem hasn't been the reviews or recommendations, it's what's been done after Plan A doesn't work, they just make up a Plan B on the spot and implement it.

It's my first time being involved in the YVMDFL, having been involved in Ellinbank league before. They had to ship off the big teams out of Ellinbank, but they weren't big enough to play Pakenham etc so went to West Gippy which was refreshed.

Well, many of the YVMDFL sides are more akin to Ellinbank teams than to West Gippy teams. Watching these SE teams against the YVMDFL teams is ridiculous.

Upwey's population is 6,600 people and stagnant Pakenham's population is 46,000 and growing exponentially.

The grounds in the SE are big open paddocks, the YV grounds are almost all small and intimate. It's not just the towns which are different, it's the football and the townspeople.

It's just like watching an idiot mixing oil and water and just thinking that a bit more mixing will see the water "rise to the challenge".

People who live in the hills aren't gonna drive over the hill to the flats of Pakenham/Cranbourne to watch footy which is basically foreign to them and vice versa.

Mt Evelyn still doesn't have their electricity switched back on.

Thoughts on starting this weekend?????

i'm going to say they'll play.

There's been talk about playing for free "for the love of the game" for a round by AFL Vic and multiple leagues on social media to negate an inability to have a crowd/canteen/bar.

Obviously the covid protocols will be ridden harder but it seems AFL Vic are keen for the restart button to get pushed

The 25km rule was the only thing that would have put a hard stop on this comp based on it "uniqueness" :sick::sick::sick: .....

i'm going to say they'll play.

There's been talk about playing for free "for the love of the game" for a round by AFL Vic and multiple leagues on social media to negate an inability to have a crowd/canteen/bar.

Obviously the covid protocols will be ridden harder but it seems AFL Vic are keen for the restart button to get pushed

The 25km rule was the only thing that would have put a hard stop on this comp based on it "uniqueness" :sick::sick::sick: .....

Can see a few forfeits coming up if they are asked to play for free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back