SEASON 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand final teams from each division are audited every year since 2018 I believe, they go through it all very thoroughly looking for unrecorded payments so yes it does have governance

Relies on the honesty of clubs. Let’s face it if you’re cheating you’re not going to record it anywhere.

Relies on the honesty of clubs. Let’s face it if you’re cheating you’re not going to record it anywhere.

A new one I heard last night was that one club had either a hotel or motel as a sponsor and that if travelling players needed to crash for a night then a free room would be provided and a set amount would be contra'd out of the sponsorship (e.g. club buying a raffle prize and saying it was from the sponsor).

I think I have almost heard it all now.

A new one I heard last night was that one club had either a hotel or motel as a sponsor and that if travelling players needed to crash for a night then a free room would be provided and a set amount would be contra'd out of the sponsorship (e.g. club buying a raffle prize and saying it was from the sponsor).

I think I have almost heard it all now.

Talking to members of a club that said they have a group of supporters that pool together money. They then go to the club and say this is the amount you have each week to spend on players. This is on top of club money. They think this is all good as the club isn’t paying.

Ridiculous obviously but sadly true.

Talking to members of a club that said they have a group of supporters that pool together money. They then go to the club and say this is the amount you have each week to spend on players. This is on top of club money. They think this is all good as the club isn’t paying.

Some clubs will do anything for a premiership
Sadly happens in most leagues

Happens everywhere. If supporters want to tip money in and know that it’s going to be spent on players then what’s the issue??

Still has to be in the salary cap

A premier level club going goalless in a divisional comp is a poor look.
I wasn't at the game on Saturday,but I've heard second hand from a Gembrook supporter that they received injuries during the game and had no bench after halftime and had to put 2 injured players on the ground after halftime...but they are very disappointed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard a few stories where the cricket club pays for a few players. Not sure if the league has the jurisdiction to audit a cricket club though! I think part of the auditing process should not only be who is paying too much, it's who are the players being paid well under market value!

Not sure the focus should be on over payments as apart from a 1 or 2 teams in each division the quality and depth appears to be going south. Assuming they should be paying less. Too many shit footballers getting paid too much for too little output.

It’s pretty annoying MPFNL are doing this now and not when the South East League disbanded.
They could’ve easily got a third division up and running and allocated sides that Hampton Park in the right division when they were struggling.
They could’ve also attracted South Mornington and Frankston Dolphins as well.

Instead it’s completely bottled the YV which was an extremely settled and thriving competition in both divisions.

Point is, they did do it then. Their own clubs told them where to go.

I'd ignore the MPFNL.

Their chieftains in the office can think and talk about a third division all they like, they've been doing it for years and years. They just want to build their empire.

It's not up to them, it's up to their clubs, and whenever given the chance they have shown they're not interested in expansion to the north or east.

There is a core group of strong clubs on the Peninsula who want a local competition and are not interested in expanding and travelling into the suburbs.

While they are in the league it will not change, it's just talk. The clubs don't want it, and to be fair to them they've been consistent about it. Their head office keeps trying to build a multi-division metro league that the country clubs don't want.

The obvious structure has been staring them in the face forever - they need a standalone Peninsula league for those clubs south of Frankston. That's what they want.

Then if they want to expand they can build across the outer south-east with multiple divisions that exclude those clubs.

But they won't do that, because they don't want to lose strong clubs in Dromana, Sorrento, Red Hill, Mt Eliza, Rosebud (and possibly the Frankston clubs if they chose south instead of north) out of their dream super league.

Maybe the clubs in the south could be cut adrift and re-form the Nepean league and let them stagnate in their own little bubble, while at the same time letting a revived MPFL to grow and thrive.
1 division Nepean league and then either a 2 division Peninsula comp or join those teams together with the Southern comp and make 1 bigger league

Maybe the clubs in the south could be cut adrift and re-form the Nepean league and let them stagnate in their own little bubble, while at the same time letting a revived MPFL to grow and thrive.

Everybody would be happy with that I think. A bit like the WGFNL clubs, they see themselves as country clubs and want to play local rivals each week, not be involved in a multi division metro league that spreads up to the eastern suburbs. The MPNFL pulled that one originally (3 divisions incl SE clubs) and got told where to go. They only just got 2 divisions through.

Country clubs are a bit of a different beast, they enjoy the town vs town aspect that includes a strong netball flavour - netball and divisions doesn’t really mix as you can have a strong netball program and weak football program or vice versa, and getting promoted or relegated ruins it for the others.

While the Peninsula is far from “the bush”, a country league is the preferred model for most of them. They’re also acutely aware of what coming up against massive suburban clubs in the outer south-east with sprawling populations could end up looking like. There’s a few people on this forum who’ve lived it and would back their opinion there.

Remove this Banner Ad

SEASON 2023