SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Narre Warren has selected its preferred local footy and netball competition for 2025 and beyond​

June 12, 2024 - 12:48PM​

Narre Warren wants to play in the Southern league in 2024. Picture: Valeriu Campan

Narre Warren wants to play in the Southern league in 2024.

Narre Warren has picked the Southern Football Netball League as its target for 2025.

Around 70 people attended a Special General Meeting on Tuesday night, where the club updated members of its plan for the future.

Narre Warren plans to take both its football and netball programs from the Outer East Football Netball League to the Southern league.

The club must inform the Outer East league before June 30 and then will have to apply for the Southern league.

The decision follows a failed attempt to join the Mornington Peninsula league this season.

Narre Warren has played in all three of the Outer East league grand finals and won 42 of its past 45 games.

Narre Warren wants to play in the Southern league. Picture: Valeriu Campan

Narre Warren wants to play in the Southern league.

Club president Peter Lindsay said the SGM “was an update” for members.

“It was pretty straight forward ... we had spoken to both playing groups of what we intended to do,” he said.

“Everyone is comfortable with a move to Southern.

“We’re now at a stage where we’re close to these trigger dates, so we wanted to bring everyone up to speed.

“We’re excited, to be quite honest, we see it as a move that will provide us with greater opportunities.”

Narre Warren celebrate the inaugural Outer East premiership back in 2019. Picture: Josie Hayden

Narre Warren celebrate the inaugural Outer East premiership back in 2019.

Lindsay said the travel involved in the Outer East league was a factor in the decision.

“We’re struggling to keep footballers because of the travel,” he said.

“Footballers would rather play closer to home or closer to town, they see travel as a problem.”

Narre Warren will add sides to the Southern league’s growing netball and under-19s programs.

Speaking of Woori, if you’re a neutral looking for a game to watch next weekend, get to Narre. Pies & Tigers both undefeated, both have equal leading goal kickers, very little separating them both right now….should be a cracker !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Years ago I did a game with him. A behind had been kicked and the player in the goal square handballed to the fullback who was running in from the arc to take the kick. Next thing whistle goes "DIDNT BRING THE BALL INTO PLAY CORRECTLY. BALL UP AT END OF THE SQUARE"... Despite 36 players on the ground telling him he had misread the whole thing he still went ahead balling it up. I just stood outside the 50m arc p'ng myself laughing and trying to count how many of the crowd had grabbed pitchforks...

Why is he even umpiring at all. He should be going to various games each weekend and watching umpires go around. Ridiculous.

He certainly isn’t a a coaches backside. Has been asked to leave many umpiring groups (certainly could name a few and even includes the old Yarra Valley Umpiring Group.) I cannot understand how an individual like him could be appointed to a role where you are teaching umpiring which includes many first timers. A fellow with his attitude and arrogance would not be someone that I would be selecting to lead an umpiring group anywhere.

I know it’s hard to find umpiring coaches as the environment is challenging at best and the remuneration is poor but surely there is someone more qualified to be the coach.

I'd guess nobody else wants the role
Im sure you are right mate. Finding umpire coaches would be like trying to find the Loch Ness Monster. Who would want to do that job? You are never right and I would assume living in a primarily negative environment. The rumeration and time required to do the job would be at polar opposites.

My query is around the quality of the person involved. He has a long history of issues as seen by him being removed from a number of groups. I also understand a number of umpires and coaches also moved on because of him.

My other issue is that instead of coaching he is umpiring some of the better games. I would have thought the coach should be doing lesser games to coach/ mentor more inexperienced umpires if that is needed.

Last edited:
Im sure you are right mate. Finding umpire coaches would be like trying to find the Loch Ness Monster. Who would want to do that job? You are never right and I would assume living in a primarily negative environment. The rumeration and time required to do the job would be at polar opposites.

My query is around the quality of the person involved. He has a long history of issues as seen by him being removed from a number of groups. I also understand a number of umpires and coaches also moved on because of him.

My other issue is that instead of coaching he is umpiring some of the better games. I would have thought the coach should be doing lesser games to coach/ mentor more inexperienced umpires if that is needed.

His attitude is the problem. When the whole crowd is just laughing at the calls its an issue.

I have no doubt you're on the money with all of that - he is painful

I have no doubt you're on the money with all of that - he is painful

If the league has a war chest of cash like what was being reported then surely “buy” the right person in to fix the problem. If you have available funds and you have problems to fix then fix them!
At some point there has to be change with the leadership of this league. The same closed minded, Dads Army, “we’ve always done it this way” approach is having a material impact on our clubs and our ability to be seen as a league to play in.
Not sure there’s too many positives I can think of ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If the league has a war chest of cash like what was being reported then surely “buy” the right person in to fix the problem. If you have available funds and you have problems to fix then fix them!
At some point there has to be change with the leadership of this league. The same closed minded, Dads Army, “we’ve always done it this way” approach is having a material impact on our clubs and our ability to be seen as a league to play in.
Not sure there’s too many positives I can think of ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The league did that a couple of years ago by recruiting a current AFL field umpire as the coach and it didn't work out as he couldn't commit the time needed to successfully fill the role. The issue is there isn't a plethora of suitable umpire coaches available. Many umpire coaches start as very well intentioned but walk away due to the time commitment and continual negative environment due to every club and individual apparently knowing the rules of the game and how umpires should umpire each week despite not having any direct involvement.

It is important to find the right person with good character and experience, but unfortunately it appears to be nigh on impossible. Outer East is not a unique case.

The league did that a couple of years ago by recruiting a current AFL field umpire as the coach and it didn't work out as he couldn't commit the time needed to successfully fill the role. The issue is there isn't a plethora of suitable umpire coaches available. Many umpire coaches start as very well intentioned but walk away due to the time commitment and continual negative environment due to every club and individual apparently knowing the rules of the game and how umpires should umpire each week despite not having any direct involvement.

It is important to find the right person with good character and experience, but unfortunately it appears to be nigh on impossible. Outer East is not a unique case.

So is the answer do nothing?

I'd hope by now the powers above have sat down with the current boss and outlined that what's happening is not tolerable.

Remove this Banner Ad

SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back