SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

More worrying is the future of D1 where 3 or 4 sides are just not up to competing with the top teams in D1 and will the Outer East be left with only 16 sides in 2025.

Meanwhile the EFNL has 47 senior men’s clubs competing, many which fall within traditional YVMDFL territory, some of which appear to be struggling. Excluding the weekend just gone results, would any be worth the league approaching?

Premier
N/A

Div 1
South Belgrave 10 wins ✅
Montrose 8 wins ✅

Div 2
Boronia 13 wins ✅
Lilydale 5 wins ❌
The Basin 0 wins ❌

Div 3
Coldstream 11 wins ✅
Upper Gully 5 wins ❌
Ferntree Gully 5 wins ❌
Silvan 4 wins ❌

Div 4
Chirnside Park 10 wins ✅
Kilsyth 8 wins ✅
Croydon Nth 2 wins ❌

Meanwhile the EFNL has 47 senior men’s clubs competing, many which fall within traditional YVMDFL territory, some of which appear to be struggling. Excluding the weekend just gone results, would any be worth the league approaching?

Premier
N/A

Div 1
South Belgrave 10 wins ✅
Montrose 8 wins ✅

Div 2
Boronia 13 wins ✅
Lilydale 5 wins ❌
The Basin 0 wins ❌

Div 3
Coldstream 11 wins ✅
Upper Gully 5 wins ❌
Ferntree Gully 5 wins ❌
Silvan 4 wins ❌

Div 4
Chirnside Park 10 wins ✅
Kilsyth 8 wins ✅
Croydon Nth 2 wins ❌
Can’t pick and choose who you take as the past decade has shown they will take any club. I wouldn’t think many would consider it if any. Perhaps Silvan belong back there as they have no junior clubs and have to recruit from outside. 😊

Can’t pick and choose who you take as the past decade has shown they will take any club. I wouldn’t think many would consider it if any. Perhaps Silvan belong back there as they have no junior clubs and have to recruit from outside. 😊

I don’t think any would actively look to move to be honest (but I can’t see their bank balances) but they are all better fits than the south east clubs.

The professionalism at EFNL and standard of footy is way higher than what OE has become. I think any club would be dragged to OE against their will.

That could be the appeal though, a club such as upper gully might think they are a better chance at achieving regular success etc

That could be the appeal though, a club such as upper gully might think they are a better chance at achieving regular success etc
I can't imagine any EFNL club would want to subject themselves to the clown fiesta over at Outer East. The appeal of potentially more regular success just won't outweigh the shambles that club administrators would have to deal with.

I can't imagine any EFNL club would want to subject themselves to the clown fiesta over at Outer East. The appeal of potentially more regular success just won't outweigh the shambles that club administrators would have to deal with.

Fair point. It’s an interesting exercise nonetheless to highlight the flaws in the current comp.

I've actually maintained that the opposite could apply. If OE got rid of Alex and Yea - Narre and Berwick Springs are leaving and Pakky are thinking about it. EFNL has 3 spots to bring it up to a 50 team comp. Maybe have the 2 comps merge with Wandin, Woori and Olinda slot into D2 or 3 and have a standalone Div 5 for legacy OE teams to keep the travel amongst themselves. Then you only need 1 head office, 1 marketing team, 1 media team, leverage through numbers for sponsorship. Clubs can move around through promotion / relegation and not having to apply for permits to change comps. Also means that Silvan / Coldstream could move to the OE division if they wanted less travel. The 2 umpire groups could combine and have 2 training venues which is what is wanted.

I've actually maintained that the opposite could apply. If OE got rid of Alex and Yea - Narre and Berwick Springs are leaving and Pakky are thinking about it. EFNL has 3 spots to bring it up to a 50 team comp. Maybe have the 2 comps merge with Wandin, Woori and Olinda slot into D2 or 3 and have a standalone Div 5 for legacy OE teams to keep the travel amongst themselves. Then you only need 1 head office, 1 marketing team, 1 media team, leverage through numbers for sponsorship. Clubs can move around through promotion / relegation and not having to apply for permits to change comps. Also means that Silvan / Coldstream could move to the OE division if they wanted less travel. The 2 umpire groups could combine and have 2 training venues which is what is wanted.

EFL would have to change their netball to Saturday

Where are they going to play netball,nearly all EFNL clubs do not have outside netball courts at their grounds.Perhaps the other way round if these OE clubs join EFNL,play indoor Friday nights.

MIW’s proposal will never happen then. Netball is now such a huge fabric of football clubs and playing on the same day/location is so important. It’s one of the main benefits that separate country football from metropolitan.

I reckon you could keep both netball comps going.
I’m guessing that clubs on the boarder like Coldstream silvan etc would have ladies playing netball for an efnl and yvmdfl clubs.

Satday netball comp you try to as much as possible to have the home footy and netball together and the away games will be split up.

It could work but depends if people want it to work.

Where are they going to play netball,nearly all EFNL clubs do not have outside netball courts at their grounds.Perhaps the other way round if these OE clubs join EFNL,play indoor Friday nights.
It’s what always made our competition so unique and so attractive….the connection between football and netball groups by having both sports side by side on Saturday, it can’t be replicated in any form ! Friday night netball just isn’t the same !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s what always made our competition so unique and so attractive….the connection between football and netball groups by having both sports side by side on Saturday, it can’t be replicated in any form ! Friday night netball just isn’t the same !
Agree Tim, firstly no ENFL clubs are going to move and the league just needs stability at this time. The league needs to focus on its heartland after a few years of instability. Whilst the EFNL may be put on a pedestal at times, it has many clubs that are really struggling currently and some of their futures are questionable. Trust me the EFNL suffers the same issues as most leagues and is certainly not perfect.

Netball has become so important for the league and this is a real point of difference. Is so good to see women in the clubs each Saturday along with their families. Netball has really flourished and made the league and clubs stronger.

MIW’s proposal will never happen then. Netball is now such a huge fabric of football clubs and playing on the same day/location is so important. It’s one of the main benefits that separate country football from metropolitan.

Metro netball in footy comps is a wank and always has been - it was set up for political reasons so that AFL Vic and the leagues could tick the diversity box when it came to funding. It actually added absolutely nothing, there were already heaps of netball comps across Melbourne on weekends and every night of the week. All it did was drag players away from them.

About two years later women’s footy arrived and the whole reason for the netball disappeared anyway.

Clubs don’t have netball courts and it’s played on one of the only nights (Friday) that footy clubs don’t gather.

Totally pointless and illogical.

But it’s all about labels and optics.

Metro netball in footy comps is a wank and always has been - it was set up for political reasons so that AFL Vic and the leagues could tick the diversity box when it came to funding. It actually added absolutely nothing, there were already heaps of netball comps across Melbourne on weekends and every night of the week. All it did was drag players away from them.

About two years later women’s footy arrived and the whole reason for the netball disappeared anyway.

Clubs don’t have netball courts and it’s played on one of the only nights (Friday) that footy clubs don’t gather.

But it’s all about labels and optics.
Well said Bunk, the creation of netball as part of metropolitan leagues has been a disgrace as it has pillaged well established netball clubs and long standing competitions. The pessimist in me would tell you leagues established netball competitions in order to get funding for new facilities and infrastructure as clubs would now be considered to be catering to a wider section of the community.

I know people who tried being part of netball in these metropolitan clubs and really didn’t have too much positive to say. Most of them returned to original clubs or into competitions such as Outer East where the relationship between football and netball is strong and genuine. That couldn’t be said about happenings in many metropolitan clubs where netball is literally a box ticking exercise and being on a Friday night seeing most players have nothing to do with the football club in question.

Yeah possibly but I think they’ve shown they aren’t at that level. Not sure they’re any more threatening than say Tooradin.

They were very happy with a settled 12-club comp (and fair enough too) but with Bunyip wanting out it leaves them with 11, unless they have an Ellinbank club wanting to come the other way.
If pakky got back into west gippy w(won’t happen) they would be a 10 goal better team straight away,they have a heap of players that went elsewhere as they didn’t want to play outer east,they would get a heap come back to play in that league,same thing for drouin as most hate playing in gippsland league

Right on the mark, there.

If pakky got back into west gippy w(won’t happen) they would be a 10 goal better team straight away,they have a heap of players that went elsewhere as they didn’t want to play outer east,they would get a heap come back to play in that league,same thing for drouin as most hate playing in gippsland league
pakenham where struggling in the old SEFNL before they joined the outer east....you would think a club like paky with such a proud history would be better than what they are at the moment....60000 thousand plus town and there the only team in pakenham...hopefully they return to there glory days...weather its in the outer east or another league.

Dropped in to see Wandin V Narre for a couple of quarters and it astounds me that this game is 1 V 2 in our premier division and they allocate the quality of umpires they did. Surely it’s a perfect opportunity to have your best umpires tested, build familiarity with likely finals teams and present a marquee game the best way possible. Appalling effort from whoever allocates these umpires and for putting them in an unwinable position.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Watched the head honcho give a red card to firritto for "inciting a melee" at halftime yesterday..

Didn't realise that's a reportable offence but I guess we learn something new every day

There's been a whole bunch of embarrassing decisions made by the comp over the journey but his appointment has to be a medal contender...

As arrogant a human as I've ever had the displeasure of meeting

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watched the head honcho give a red card to firritto for "inciting a melee" at halftime yesterday..

Didn't realise that's a reportable offence but I guess we learn something new every day

There's been a whole bunch of embarrassing decisions made by the comp over the journey but his appointment has to be a medal contender...

As arrogant a human as I've ever had the displeasure of meeting

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good umpiring coaches are hard to find as the remuneration isn’t good considering the time involved and you seem to be never right. Also hard in finals to deal with umpires who have over inflated egos of their ability and believe they should be umpiring premier games when in reality they are only good enough to be doing junior football.

Unfortunately the current coach isn’t a good appointment for many reasons. He may be trying his best but his demeanour and history elsewhere would make him someone I would never choose to lead a group, especially younger ones who need a positive influence. Why he is umpiring premier division football has me miffed as he should be supporting younger less experienced umpires.

At the end of the year I think a review of his appointment should be undertaken to see if there are better credentialed candidates available which I don’t believe will be easy to source.

Remove this Banner Ad

SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back