SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Good umpiring coaches are hard to find as the remuneration isn’t good considering the time involved and you seem to be never right. Also hard in finals to deal with umpires who have over inflated egos of their ability and believe they should be umpiring premier games when in reality they are only good enough to be doing junior football.

Unfortunately the current coach isn’t a good appointment for many reasons. He may be trying his best but his demeanour and history elsewhere would make him someone I would never choose to lead a group, especially younger ones who need a positive influence. Why he is umpiring premier division football has me miffed as he should be supporting younger less experienced umpires.

At the end of the year I think a review of his appointment should be undertaken to see if there are better credentialed candidates available which I don’t believe will be easy to source.
I’ve witnessed him dressing down young umpires because they weren’t wearing their sweat bands. Absolute fact. He really is not fit for the role.

About 15 umpires went elsewhere at start of last season knowing how it would pan out.

Can’t blame the umpires. This is again another example of the quality of the overall leadership we have running this competition and then the lack of accountability or reflection on how poor their decisions have been. Undoubtedly they probably think they are going well but when they’re all cut from the same cloth what else would you expect.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What is more telling is that those who have moved on were regular premier umpires. Those who went to EFNL (aside from one field / one boundary) have not been doing premier but floating around div 2 & 3 and at a reasonable pay cut. It shows that environment, coaching and camaraderie are often more important than status or pay rate and shows what they were prepared to give up rather than hang around.

New coach at Pakenham is a ripper. Paul Carbis is an excellent appointment.
Things obviously didn't work out there - I have seen him first hand and found him an extremely impressive coach, didn't work out with Garfield either after success with Leongatha and as a VFL development coach. Anyone know why it didn't work out at Pakenham?

Is it a battle of three in both Divisions? Wandin squandered the chance to secure the double chance after leading Narre early. The unevenness of the Fixture also playing a role in condemning them to third. Odd to think last years prelim finalist in Woori don't face Narre twice.

Where will the finals be, will Prem be sent down to the wind swept flat lands again and will Div 1 be sent over the divide?

The majority of pakenham wouldn’t be from an afl backgroun
Things obviously didn't work out there - I have seen him first hand and found him an extremely impressive coach, didn't work out with Garfield either after success with Leongatha and as a VFL development coach. Anyone know why it didn't work out at Pakenham?
Both Pakenham and Garfield play the local kids and don’t spend a fortune on players,officer on the weekend used 46 player points to Pakenham 26,plenty of juniors coming through but need to attract some quality to add to them,you hear nothing but good things about coach though

woori must be paying someone at the league
I can't understand the thought process behind half of this this. 5 finals at Woori in 4 weeks? No games at Officer for a month, then two in 6 days? Emerald is good enough to host finals but just the one? All Division 1 finals before the Grand Final on Sundays, but then the Grand Final is Saturday? The Premier prelim shifted to Sunday to accommodate that with everything else on Saturdays? It's as if the league tries to make decisions that leave people confused.

In fairness though, for the last how many years the Prem / D1 finals have been Sat / Sun and then swapped for the GF. Not a new thing this year. If both GF's are on a Saturday, then someone has to swap their day at some stage. Only other option is to have D1 on 4 Saturdays. Then Prem could be 3 x Sunday and 1 x Sat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullen are looking to move across from the VAFA into EFL Div 4.

The EFL would like a futher 2 more side to even out the whole competition and have quietly approached YV clubs who they know are disgruntled with the state of the competition.

Bullen are looking to move across from the VAFA into EFL Div 4.

The EFL would like a futher 2 more side to even out the whole competition and have quietly approached YV clubs who they know are disgruntled with the state of the competition.

Won't be long until the EFL takes over the Outer East.

Bayliss stepped down from Coldstream coaching job. What a shit show. Hope they're ready to lose all there recruits that came with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back