Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 14: Sin City Swamprats v Fighting Furies at The Underground Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

You do realise that I am a Rat now

peter jackson 90s GIF

1 more to go.

Surely we get a public holiday tomorrow?

And in a game where Starc and Abbott took wickets for fun, the Mighty Vics still got up, and somehow exposed the absolute pretender status of the prospective Test bats in both teams.

India's bowlers are licking their lips.

And in a game where Starc and Abbott took wickets for fun, the Mighty Vics still got up, and somehow exposed the absolute pretender status of the prospective Test bats in both teams.

India's bowlers are licking their lips.
I wouldn't be against the idea of Carey and Inglis both playing, meaning Smith or Labuschagne misses out. Both keepers are in brilliant form with the bat, so why not?

I wouldn't be against the idea of Carey and Inglis both playing, meaning Smith or Labuschagne misses out. Both keepers are in brilliant form with the bat, so why not?

Interesting, but I personally think Smith decides when it's over (he's probably in our All Time XI) and Labuschagne will come good again. It would be nice if we had some guns coming through (Pucovski would've been a star, but vulnerabilities to the short ball means he needs to focus on his health). I'm not against Konstantis, as I like getting a long-term player in early (sort of how we played Cyril from day 1 in the seniors), but can understand the argument that with India's quicks being world class it might not be the best series to blood a 19yo.

Interesting, but I personally think Smith decides when it's over (he's probably in our All Time XI) and Labuschagne will come good again. It would be nice if we had some guns coming through (Pucovski would've been a star, but vulnerabilities to the short ball means he needs to focus on his health). I'm not against Konstantis, as I like getting a long-term player in early (sort of how we played Cyril from day 1 in the seniors), but can understand the argument that with India's quicks being world class it might not be the best series to blood a 19yo.
We've got some decisions to make over the next 12-18 months. All the fast bowlers are the wrong side of 30, Lyon and Khawaja are north of 35 - if we're not careful, several players might retire at the same time, and we might have to bring in a number of youngsters at the same time. Do we let our aging stars decide when they want to leave, or will it be necessary to make a few tough calls?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've got some decisions to make over the next 12-18 months. All the fast bowlers are the wrong side of 30, Lyon and Khawaja are north of 35 - if we're not careful, several players might retire at the same time, and we might have to bring in a number of youngsters at the same time. Do we let our aging stars decide when they want to leave, or will it be necessary to make a few tough calls?

Just had a quick read over on the cricket forum, and there's a few who have like yourself mentioned Inglis as a batsman...if he's in the best form, I can see the merit. We did it with Wade a few times, and while Wade was hardly a superstar he knew how to put up a fight.

But I share your concerns over the age of the squad. I'm sure we'll replace the quicks easily enough, but Cummins, Hazlewood, and Starc are all superstars and we had them at once. Lyon can go for a while longer as the demands on his body aren't the same, but I'm not aware of any replacement of anywhere near his calibre.

And a good decision to replace one opener can't be left off, as the other one will be retiring soon, too.

Just had a quick read over on the cricket forum, and there's a few who have like yourself mentioned Inglis as a batsman...if he's in the best form, I can see the merit. We did it with Wade a few times, and while Wade was hardly a superstar he knew how to put up a fight.

But I share your concerns over the age of the squad. I'm sure we'll replace the quicks easily enough, but Cummins, Hazlewood, and Starc are all superstars and we had them at once. Lyon can go for a while longer as the demands on his body aren't the same, but I'm not aware of any replacement of anywhere near his calibre.

And a good decision to replace one opener can't be left off, as the other one will be retiring soon, too.
I just remember Lillee, Marsh and Chappell all retiring at the same time - we were pretty ordinary for several years after that, and it'd be nice to avoid a similar situation this time.

I just remember Lillee, Marsh and Chappell all retiring at the same time - we were pretty ordinary for several years after that, and it'd be nice to avoid a similar situation this time.
How old are you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 14: Sin City Swamprats v Fighting Furies at The Underground Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back