Season Launch Video is here

Remove this Banner Ad

You are all noticing the players looking like they are running slower than normal in the horses, and cars and bull scenes, because obviously all of those things go a lot faster than any human can run.

I think they did the right thing by not artificially speeding up the players' in those scenes. The ad is far enough away from reality as it is, if you saw Juddy running in front of those horses faster than his legs were actually moving it would've looked stupid.

Thats true, but the handballs, marks etc could of been a smidgen slicker and quicker maybe, and it just seem a bit too staged...

But considering there were big **** off cars, raging bulls and a pack of horses amongst other things, I cant complain.

That kind of graphic work was done by the NRL the last few seasons. They had that promo ad where the grass would grow under their feet as players ran down the streets side-stepping cars and tackling each other across the streets.

And then a more recent one where they superimpose current day stars into old footage of legends playing the game. So you see Mark Gasnier in color playing in his uncle Reg's 1950's St George team, etc, like Forrest Gump way.

As far as ideas go about promoting the game, i think that latter angle the NRL took was a lot better than the current AFL ad, which is too self-presumptuous. Whereas the League one was more about connecting the past and the future together.

If I find it on youtube i'll post it because it's a lot better without all the over the top nonsense in the AFL one.

That kind of graphic work was done by the NRL the last few seasons. They had that promo ad where the grass would grow under their feet as players ran down the streets side-stepping cars and tackling each other across the streets.

And then a more recent one where they superimpose current day stars into old footage of legends playing the game. So you see Mark Gasnier in color playing in his uncle Reg's 1950's St George team, etc, like Forrest Gump way.

As far as ideas go about promoting the game, i think that latter angle the NRL took was a lot better than the current AFL ad, which is too self-presumptuous. Whereas the League one was more about connecting the past and the future together.

If I find it on youtube i'll post it because it's a lot better without all the over the top nonsense in the AFL one.

Appropriate.

Of course they are going to Rabbitohs on about the past, it's all they have got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've done well but it couldve ended with a bit of celebration from Buddy.

Liking the choice of the Dropkick Murphys instrumental too.

Certainly a worldwide commercial aim.

dear, oh dear, oh dear.

how about solidifying the game within australia's borders 1st before writing off other sports with the so-called superiority of Australian Rules Football......shit, i mean AFL. this ad is not going to attract more aussies to the game which should be the goal. interestingly, there's no direct comparison to the rugby codes.....that would have been ballsy. seems to be the aussie go though......everything we do is better than the rest of the world..............its a bit like that red rooster ad shot with that annoying bloodnut in manhattan's times square.

and i thought the NRL ad music was bad.......this obsession with all things Irish in AFL is getting out of hand.

dear, oh dear, oh dear.

how about solidifying the game within australia's borders 1st before writing off other sports with the so-called superiority of Australian Rules Football......shit, i mean AFL. this ad is not going to attract more aussies to the game which should be the goal. interestingly, there's no direct comparison to the rugby codes.....that would have been ballsy. seems to be the aussie go though......everything we do is better than the rest of the world..............its a bit like that red rooster ad shot with that annoying bloodnut in manhattan's times square.

and i thought the NRL ad music was bad.......this obsession with all things Irish in AFL is getting out of hand.

I agree. Its pretty sad when a ball sport compares itself to horse racing, motorsports and bull fighting.

As a NSW, now QLD who likes a wide variety of sports which includes AFL (though I probably dont like it as much as most people on this forum) I think the ad is crap.

It seems arrogant, full of self importance and completely rubbishing other sports, not to mention the matching of of the players with their supposed tacklers in other sport seems like its done by a kid doing graphics at high school (to me anyway, maybe I have higher standards when it comes to these things). And I hate the tag line too 'a league of their own' makes me think two things: the AFL is full of pompous pricks, and that madonna movie... neither of these are good things btw.

I dont think a scene better sums up my sentiments than the soccer bit, it reminded me of those times when you were playing a friendly game at school lunch or something and some douche bag comes along and picks the ball up and starts running around with it (it seems a bit out of place with the rest of the ad too, just goes to show its rediculous how freaked out the AFL and its community are about soccer).

I like AFL, I even like it after they got rid of tackling and close in contests that made me really start to enjoy the game (I know pretty much every AFL fan hated the swans style of play in 05 but hey it was the first season I actually really got into it with intense close games and some hard hitting stuff) but as an ad this just shits me something feirce, I cant see it winning over any new supporters to the game either, if you thought NSW and QLDers were hard to crack I reckon you'd put off any international person who saw this ad and was their first introduction to AFL.

Just my two cents though.

I don't know why people are complaining about the music. I love that song. It was in The Departed, when the cars were driving to the drop off point towards the end of that film. Great song.

The ad looks expensive, and pretty slick. Good work, by the people who produced it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Season Launch Video is here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back