Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring probably cost us 4ish goals. (Rich HTB, Grimes flop, Hipwood mark, Martin throw) - you can argue whether we would've kicked accurately, whatever

16.4 - 100
def
10.17 - 77

For those saying kicking wasn't the difference look at those numbers. No one is saying we dominated every other area - but you take away goal kicking (a huge aspect no doubt), we were the better team. NO we weren't perfect everywhere else, but overall we were better.

Think we honestly demolish GWS at home, won comfortably on their deck a little while back and they just won their GF against their rivals lol.

Just wish we were playing today, going to be a long week but if we win on Saturday, we are on the same level as the other 3. All playing in a prelim at the MCG.

Lots of positives from last night. I view this finals series as a bit of a free hit. It's still a learning year for us and I think the boys would've learned a lot.

On a side note I thought Christensen was fantastic with his pressure and poise and actually though Mcstay had his best game in a few weeks.

Think we honestly demolish GWS at home, won comfortably on their deck a little while back and they just won their GF against their rivals lol.

Just wish we were playing today, going to be a long week but if we win on Saturday, we are on the same level as the other 3. All playing in a prelim at the MCG.
I think you may have blocked me last night but I agree on all points! Loving positive turnaround!!

Majority of our younger players did step up and showed we can play at that level, 3rd quarter and ability to take our chances is what lost us the game. Good to see Rayner take his game to another level though, was not as bad as the scoreline looked.

Good to know the afl thinks its hilarious that the umpires were terrible and were star struck....go tiges hey afl

The wrong call against north that went in our favour had the AFL PUBLICLY APOLOGISE. Had the papers up in outrage at the travesty that 'robbed' some prictorian nothing club of their 'rightful' goal.

The wrong call that goes in favour of some vic club has people busting their sides with the hilarity of it all. I mean, it's just Brisbane innit? Those campaigners can all get ****ed!

ETA: Hodgey's throw under a mountain of players was seen easily but Martin's throw, which was out in the open and could've been seen from the moon, nothing.

I should point out that I don't think the umpiring cost us the game, that was largely our own fault, but that the Martin throw is seen as a funny highlight rankles and shows how disrespected we are by the football world.

Last edited:
The wrong call against north that went in our favour had the AFL PUBLICLY APOLOGISE. Had the papers up in outrage at the travesty that 'robbed' some prictorian nothing club of their 'rightful' goal.

The wrong call that goes in favour of some vic club has people busting their sides with the hilarity of it all. I mean, it's just Brisbane innit? Those campaigners can all get f’ed!
The club should demand these umpires stand down for the remaining finals and a public apology for an afl official twitter account to take the piss out of cheating

I think you may have blocked me last night but I agree on all points! Loving positive turnaround!!
Have never blocked anybody on here. Clearly all your help worked in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a total of 2 rushed behinds. So 15 shots that we missed.

There were 3 or so set shorts from 45-50 right on the boundary.. so sure miss some of those
Another three from Robbo Berry Zorko steaming in to the 50
The close set shots we should have gotten McCarthy McStay McInerny and McCluggage. Maccas Misses.. too much ashes cricket :)
And then the horror story of our wayward snaps... Cameron and Rayner from 20 out waaaay to tight.. 2 of those should have been in
Then Camerons snap 30 out from the boundary.. eh can take that. Robbo from in congestion 40 out... eh. Then Zorko had 2 in play from 50-40 out, pretty in front.
Not to mention Rayners set shot out on the full.

Realistically we should have expected at least 6-7 of those to go in.

The misses in the first quarter were all low range shots tbh. 2 rushed behinds, all except 1 were at least 45+ out and either on the boundary or angle..... It was the 2nd qtr where all 4 behinds should have been . bad misses (would have made the HT score 54-45 to us). 3rd qtr, be more real and say we get 1 of those (75-88 to Richmond). And then in the final qtr get those 2 set shots by McCarthy and Mccluggage. 112-100 to Richmond.

Ahh rewriting history is fun :)

Now that i have had a good sleep (missed out on that awesome over by Cummins ffs) and rewatching that Grimes dive.. Its actually really funny. His eyes go dead from his fear of the rampaging Wood when he notices Hippy coming in, he lowers his shoulders, and in fact a very slight second before Hippy makes the hit he starts to buckle. Quality work all around, round of applause let us laugh it up. HA HA

Bit annoyed by Hippy for doing it, but you see that every game. Credit to him he took it and straight away went sprinting to cover his man.

Lots of positives from last night. I view this finals series as a bit of a free hit. It's still a learning year for us and I think the boys would've learned a lot.

On a side note I thought Christensen was fantastic with his pressure and poise and actually though Mcstay had his best game in a few weeks.
Your first point resonates and that is my thinking out of it as well. In all honesty, as much as I wanted the win, finals is a different beast. A lot of positives are that we won in a lot of areas of the game. However, a lot of our players were 'deer in headlights' and the gap between our best and worst was wide. But a lot will be learnt from it. I remember when Richmond absolutely were smashed by Port in a final about 3/4 years ago. It takes time, it takes experience and our younger players will be better for it. Play more games like that in a big atmosphere and they will be used to it. Patience!

Disappointed in last night though loved the first quarter, and it seems apparent to me that during the off season we may need to reconsider trialling Harris as a forward. Either McStay plays defence or we bring young Jack Payne in to play on the giant forwards. Hipwood of course will get stronger but needs to.

Am rapt in the season we've had but need to find improvement somewhere to keep contending.
Yep. Either Payne or Ballenden need to start the season at full forward. Aaron Naughton at Footscray is only 19 years old and he is miles in front of McStay. We need to give a kid with more upside potential s shot. McStay needs to go back to defence because he had hit his ceiling in attack. He is simply not going to get any better.

Hodge was awesome in tonight's game. I wish he could play on next year.
He is absolute class with so many big games in finals. Let's not forget that we had 14 players out there last night who have NEVER played a final and Richmond had 17 from their premiership side. We will be so much better for that experience but it takes time. Let's not get ahead of ourselves...

We are a real momentum side. If we had kicked 1 or 2 more goals in the first and had stopped their early goals in the second it could have been different.

Should charlie have been moved on the ball? Or a wing? Fagan seems reluctant to make changes til it's too late.
Yep, Charlie needed go further up the ground. Grimes would not have followed him. **** missed a trick there.

So will the blonde sheila on the mic during the breaks. Terrible

I've been saying this for ages. Why can't we just have a bit of reasonably quiet reflective time at the breaks instead of this non-stop cacophony of noise and "interviews" and frenetic activity ?

Apart from the unpolished and irritating voice, I can't stand the way she never shuts up and absolutely SCREAMS into the microphone.

A few weeks ago, my son brought his girlfriend along to a match , a first time for her.

She told me after the game that she really enjoyed the AFL/Lions experience EXCEPT for that girl that kept screaming into the mic at the breaks.

Says it all really.

EDIT: I probably sound like a grumpy old man, but does anyone else here think that Kiss-cam has passed it's used by date? It was fun for a while but just seems a bit forced and passe to me now.

Last edited:
Something I notice that hurts our accuracy is an insistence on taking low-percentage shots from the boundary, rather than finding targets with a better angle on goal. That's partly due to our younger players like Rayner and McCluggage backing themselves, perhaps unwisely, but they will learn from that. The bigger issue is that our players in better positions aren't leading. I noticed against Geelong and again last night that some of them are just standing around disinterested and assuming the set shot will be taken, rather than pushing for the ball.

Think this misses how ball movement/opposition defensive positioning contributes to shot position. Richmond's team defence was superb, blocked up the middle of the 50 and kept us wide all game (unfortunately to the pocket where the ball seemed to blow out of bounds with the wind).

Answerth and Adams colliding will haunt my dreams this week
Answerth did that twice where he crashed into a Lions teammate leaving both sprawled on the ground and a swarm of Richmond players bursting away with the ball. He was another, along with most of the back line that were completely overawed for the second week running and whilst you’d have thought they would’ve learnt a bit from the fortnight before; they didn’t, and if anything, regressed further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Back