Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess I should stop myself from umpire bashing but you do really have to wonder .

That red hot htb against Rich early in the game was abysmal . It would've been fine if the 4 or 5 after that ,especially the one where their player was cornered by Bundy in the forward pocket, were paid ,but we got nothing. They were given the benefit of the doubt every time . Likewise don't touch Reiwoldt,two that went to him were pathetic. They got a real leg up from the umps tonight.
After a loss, I hate blaming umpires but it seemed like every blatant error last night directly resulted in a goal to Richmond or cost us a goal.

Yep and as usual handled himself superbly despite his obvious disappointment and frustration. On a side note wasn't it great to see Clarko and Bolton at the game sitting together - probably in part supporting Fages...
I think you’ll find it’s more likely to meet and poach some of our players.

Answerth did that twice where he crashed into a Lions teammate leaving both sprawled on the ground and a swarm of Richmond players bursting away with the ball. He was another, along with most of the back line that were completely overawed for the second week running and whilst you’d have thought they would’ve learnt a bit from the fortnight before; they didn’t, and if anything, regressed further.

Dyl, when things go awry in a critical area (like blowing set shot after set shot and some relatively simple snaps) , I think incidences like team-mates colliding assume much greater import than usual. If we win the match, we'd probably be lauding our guys for their desire and endeavour to compete.

I don't agree with your comments about most of our backline being overawed either. Most of the time, the ball was coming in fast to opponents who seemingly had acres of space to work in, partly due to missed opportunities at the other end, partly due to our mids/ half forwards pushing up too high and also partly due to some amazingly unlucky bounces of the ball around the centre of the ground in broken play.....which inevitably seemed to favour the Tigers. Add into that, the fact that the Tigers had 17 opportunities to kick the ball in and got their transition right from this source so regularly and I believe any backline would have struggled to contain their opponents.

I've been saying this for ages. Why can't we just have a bit of reasonably quiet reflective time at the breaks instead of this non-stop cacophony of noise and "interviews" and frenetic activity ?

Apart from the unpolished and irritating voice, I can't stand the way she never shuts up and absolutely SCREAMS into the microphone.

A few weeks ago, my son brought his girlfriend along to a match , a first time for her.

She told me after the game that she really enjoyed the AFL/Lions experience EXCEPT for that girl that kept screaming into the mic at the breaks.

Says it all really.

EDIT: I probably sound like a grumpy old man, but does anyone else here think that Kiss-cam has passed it's used by date? It was fun for a while but just seems a bit forced and passe to me now.

Kiss-cam is flat out embarrassing shit. All this American style game entertainment is horrible and needs to left out.

Anyone else frustrated by Robbo's game? Not sure if he was injured from the start of the game but kept overcomnitting to contests and going to ground letting them out the back.

His thigh was strapped from the start so gotta figure there was at least a niggle going in. And early during the game he spent a bit of time on the bike during his rotations which isn’t a regular thing and can be a sign of keeping the muscle warm to protect an injury.

Devastated for him - he has repeatedly stated that he wants to repay the club for their support by playing finals footy. He’s not going to feel good watching from the sidelines next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been saying this for ages. Why can't we just have a bit of reasonably quiet reflective time at the breaks instead of this non-stop cacophony of noise and "interviews" and frenetic activity ?

Apart from the unpolished and irritating voice, I can't stand the way she never shuts up and absolutely SCREAMS into the microphone.

A few weeks ago, my son brought his girlfriend along to a match , a first time for her.

She told me after the game that she really enjoyed the AFL/Lions experience EXCEPT for that girl that kept screaming into the mic at the breaks.

Says it all really.

EDIT: I probably sound like a grumpy old man, but does anyone else here think that Kiss-cam has passed it's used by date? It was fun for a while but just seems a bit forced and passe to me now.

Continually putting it on 2 males was ermmm.... Interesting. Think the entire thing is just cringe, charlie motorbike thing, kiss cam the dancers, All rubbish. She is trying to hard and just jumbles her words.

ED3IQLOUEAA1LI9

After a loss, I hate blaming umpires but it seemed like every blatant error last night directly resulted in a goal to Richmond or cost us a goal.
Yes that's the way l saw it l was in lower deck 24 and it was obvious to me Lions lost game and Richmond didn't win it. Everything went Richmond's way and nothing went Lions way.
My favourite part of the night was telling bogan Richmond supporters although they won they ultimately lose because they have to go home to Victoria.

PS And l'm a Victorian.

I know this is only angle, but how anyone can say it definitively it the ground is kidding themselves.

Also, if you watch that stager Grimes eyes before Hipwood makes contact, he was always going to go to ground with the slightest touch:

And more garbage by Richmond's 3 extra players:

I know this is only angle, but how anyone can say it definitively it the ground is kidding themselves.

Also, if you watch that stager Grimes eyes before Hipwood makes contact, he was always going to go to ground with the slightest touch:

And more garbage by Richmond's 3 extra players:

Unfortunately that ridiculous reversal early set the tone for the rest of the night.

50/50 call?.......give it to Richmond.

Can't see it properly/ out of position and have to guess?......guess in favour of Richmond.

Dusty involved in a contest?......rule in favour of Dusty.

That's my last rant about the officiating . Needed to get it out of my system though because you can bet that the AFL won't fess up to any umpiring howlers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Second Qualifying Final, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Back