Selection Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm neither a great supporter nor detractor of Shirley but i must say he has my sympathy this season.

After an uneventful pre season and playing through the NAB cup he was dropped for round 1. At the time NC gave him a clear and public message...he had to be more versatile, more stings to the bow, can no longer be a one dimensional tagger.

He then gets promoted for Geelong to tag Ablett. Once again he would have been promoted this week purely to tag Judd.

Mixed messages. Change your game to get picked...we will only pick you to play your old game. Not well managed IMO.

i'm disappointed for shirely seems a hard worker and does his work for the team now after 7-8 yrs neil has decided his position doesnt exist anymore on the field :eek: Must be hard for him and he seems pretty modest about his career, when hes actually been really good for us.
He would be pretty filthy with himself for carrying out that disgrace of a tackle right about now I would think. Couldn't he have saved his anger for that sniping hack Browne?

He blew a golden opportunity to get back into the AFC 22, at a time when we are out of form and his career is at the crossroads. It was a pretty silly thing to do.

I'm neither a great supporter nor detractor of Shirley but i must say he has my sympathy this season.

After an uneventful pre season and playing through the NAB cup he was dropped for round 1. At the time NC gave him a clear and public message...he had to be more versatile, more stings to the bow, can no longer be a one dimensional tagger.

He then gets promoted for Geelong to tag Ablett. Once again he would have been promoted this week purely to tag Judd.

Mixed messages. Change your game to get picked...we will only pick you to play your old game. Not well managed IMO.

Yes, it's weird. The poor bugger must be more confused than we are. I do wonder, why the tagger is supposedly a dead duck. Just because of zones etc. surely you don't let a player like Ablett, Judd etc, just run around picking up touches at will.
What we have lacked, is a tagger who gets plenty of the ball as well.

But mixed messages to Shirley.

I find it quite surprising that posts relating to Moran are so vitriolic and generally personal.

He earnt his spot playing excellent footy with WAFC, and from all accounts went back there with a very good attitude. He has had 2 games back at AFL level, a good first half againt the Dogs but ran out of puff. I for one thought he was ok last week and certainly not our worst player by any stretch.

I hope he sticks it up all of you on Saturday.

Well said! Totally agree.

You're basically saying "he tries hard so give him a go" sorry but that's probably exactly what's wrong with the AFC. Moran is an average player and for far too long the AFC has been embracing mediocrity when it comes to some of our players. I see no way Moran can turn his career around and become an important player for us. Oh and one good half (I'd debate that actually) against the Dogs and he should be given another go? What about the other 6 quarters he's played?

And FYI I'd love it if he stuck it up me and played a ripper of a game on the weekend. I have nothing against him personally but from what I've seen he's an average player at best and there's no room for him on our list. But by all means I hope he proves me wrong.

And your judging this on his massive career of 3 games for the Roos and 9 for adelaide? The crows are doing the right thing by him. Giving him a few games in a row to show something. If he fails, back to the sanfl for a while. Again, he wasnt the worst in the side the last few weeks.

Yep spot on JunX. The irony of the whole line fryingpan is putting forth of "tolerating mediocrity" is that what Moran offers is the complete opposite of that - he's a bang or bust prospect that will break open games or never make it. Considering where he is at as a footballer, the more game time we can afford to put into him the better.

He would be pretty filthy with himself for carrying out that disgrace of a tackle right about now I would think. Couldn't he have saved his anger for that sniping hack Browne?

He blew a golden opportunity to get back into the AFC 22, at a time when we are out of form and his career is at the crossroads. It was a pretty silly thing to do.

Well, actually the next showdown would have been better - he could use it on Thomas and not be suspended either :)

Sounds very familiar to the message Craigy gave Kenny last year. I think the writing is on the wall for Shirls. Hat's off to him for what he's achieved with the attributes he's had to work with.

Sounds very familiar to the message Craigy gave Kenny last year. I think the writing is on the wall for Shirls. Hat's off to him for what he's achieved with the attributes he's had to work with.
Is Shirley contracted for next season?

Bizarrely, yes. He thought he was a goner at the end of 2008, only to be offered a 2-year contract. 8 rounds into 2009 and he's only been selected once (twice if you count this week).
Hmmm. The McGregor Situation Mk II.

Making quite a habit of this. Is someone from the Redbacks helping us out with our contracts?

Hmmm. The McGregor Situation Mk II.

Making quite a habit of this. Is someone from the Redbacks helping us out with our contracts?

Both Shirley & Doughty were given 2-year contracts. Doughty is almost understandable, given that they promptly promoted him to the leadership group. He's also 10 months older than Shirley. The decision on Shirley is somewhat mystifying. You would have thought they'd learned a lesson after paying out McGregor's contract.

Presumably they are expecting AT LEAST 2 of the big 3 to retire at the end of 2009 and didn't want to be left with a completely inexperienced & physically immature team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Shirley contracted for next season?

lets not forget Kenng G resigned for 2 years and was let go after the 1st year

given the youth on our list and our lack of big names I would say the crows would not have too much salary cap pressures and cutting players 1 year short from their contracts is not out of the question

Both Shirley & Doughty were given 2-year contracts. Doughty is almost understandable, given that they promptly promoted him to the leadership group. He's also 10 months older than Shirley. The decision on Shirley is somewhat mystifying. You would have thought they'd learned a lesson after paying out McGregor's contract.

Presumably they are expecting AT LEAST 2 of the big 3 to retire at the end of 2009 and didn't want to be left with a completely inexperienced & physically immature team.

what if the Big 3 go on one more year :confused: or at least 2 of the big 3

You would hope that we can lock away all of our stars and that Shirley/Doughty are the best that our uncontracted players group has to offer for GC17 next season. Considering games played by each, they'd command something in the vicinity of a second/third round compensation pick and I could live with that.

Furthermore, our midfield stocks would have to be a major worry at the moment. Apart from Shirley, there's nobody running around in the SANFL that we could safely assume would be able to hold down a midfield spot in case of injury. So in saying that, Shirley's being contracted til the end of next year is justified, not just for depth if injuries strike but also retirements as you said.

Think we need to be on the look-out for one or two midfielders during trade week this year in the vein of a Prismal or Thomson last season, they wouldn't be wasted on our list that's for sure.

And your judging this on his massive career of 3 games for the Roos and 9 for adelaide? The crows are doing the right thing by him. Giving him a few games in a row to show something. If he fails, back to the sanfl for a while. Again, he wasnt the worst in the side the last few weeks.

I have been a vocal critic of Morans "softness" this week .........but I have to admit watching the game again he was pretty good

Got first hand to the ball a lot .....took some good marks and setup some good palys

I guess mine and others thoughts on his performance is more based on his intensity at the contest .....that criticism remains

But his skills were good and overall you'd have to rate last games performance a 6-7/10

Think your correct ....it's been a balancing act of bringing the youngsters on as quickly as possible but also surrounding them with experience

The other aspect I am assuming is that neither would be on huge $ so they are low cost contributors to the salary cap

But 2 year contracts???? ..........that's mystifying :confused:

You would hope that we can lock away all of our stars and that Shirley/Doughty are the best that our uncontracted players group has to offer for GC17 next season. Considering games played by each, they'd command something in the vicinity of a second/third round compensation pick and I could live with that.
You have got to be kidding. By the end of 2010, when GC will be on the prowl, Doughty will be 31 and Shirley will be 30. They wouldn't attract a 5th round selection, let alone a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

They might have done if we'd attempted to trade them 2 or 3 years ago, when they still had a few miles left on the clock, but by next year they will have no trade value at all. I doubt they have any trade value as it is now.

GC are on the hunt for players in the 23-27 year range. These are the players who are fully developed both in terms of their playing and their physical development. Players younger than that might attract some attention, but wouldn't be a priority due to the abundance of youth they will have on their list anyway. Players older than that would have to be genuine stars - Riewoldt/Cornes/AA type players - in order to attract their interest.

NB I am well aware that Riewoldt just re-signed with the Saints, but there's no doubt he was one of GC's top priorities prior to this.

You have got to be kidding. By the end of 2010, when GC will be on the prowl, Doughty will be 31 and Shirley will be 30. They wouldn't attract a 5th round selection, let alone a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Hmmm...this is what happens when you're physically at your PC but your brain is already at after work drinks...just terrible :eek:

And to think that I was one of those who gave Danny Frawley shit for calling Doughty one of our "young" midfielders...have brought shame upon myself and my family :eek:

lets not forget Kenng G resigned for 2 years and was let go after the 1st year

given the youth on our list and our lack of big names I would say the crows would not have too much salary cap pressures and cutting players 1 year short from their contracts is not out of the question
But what is the advantage to us of signing them for two years? They were never going to attract better offers from another club surely.

We're fortunate that Ken is a good bloke. He could easily have demanded that he be paid out his 2nd year contract in full but he chose to retire gracefully and save us an embarrassing situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Selection Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back