List Mgmt. Selections 30 + 47

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon the odds of us pulling another Mitch Wilkinsy, from out of nowhere, type pick are pretty high.

Garlett will be gone before our first live pick.

That's a pity because WA players have been fantastic for us over the years. We always get two games in Perth, so Dayle would get home twice during the season playing for NM.

I reckon the odds of us pulling another Mitch Wilkinsy, from out of nowhere, type pick are pretty high.

When is the last time that we pulled someone from no where and it worked out? I'm thinking Corey Jones.

Blokes like Brayden Norris, Chad Jones, Kris Shore were on no one's radar. I'm sure there are more.

When is the last time that we pulled someone from no where and it worked out? I'm thinking Corey Jones.

Blokes like Brayden Norris, Chad Jones, Kris Shore were on no one's radar. I'm sure there are more.

Swallow
Thompson
Thomas
Goldstein
Mullett

They were hardly household draft names before the draft (and with the exception of Mullett) we pulled the trigger quite early.

Swallow
Thompson
Thomas
Goldstein
Mullett

They were hardly household draft names before the draft (and with the exception of Mullett) we pulled the trigger quite early.

Nah disagree with your first 2. Swallow was a gun junior, and Thompson was obviously on the radar of Geelong.

Possibly the other 3. Pykelet?

Dunno.

I can see clubs more and more looking to squeeze every drop our of their recruitment networks in the hope of snatching a hidden gem given that the vast majority of footballers will come through the traditional networks of TAC Cup, U/18's Nationals and private school systems. I think Wilkins was in the SA private school system, played some reserves footy for Norwood and was on the cusp of senior selection before doing his shoulder mid season. There would be a selection of players each year who show real promise but miss exposure due to injury etc. I reckon these guys will attract late picks, unless you are the Bulldogs who used 15 on Christian Howard.

Swallow
Thompson
Thomas
Goldstein
Mullett

Nah disagree with your first 2. Swallow was a gun junior, and Thompson was obviously on the radar of Geelong.

Possibly the other 3. Pykelet?
Thomas played for SA in the Nationals and was invited to draft camp, Mullett played for Vic Metro and Goldy was a late addition to TAC Cup team Oakleigh and led their charge into finals (possible flag too) and was on the radar of many clubs given his sporting pedigree (Rep basketballer).

I'm thinking of those who either fall outside the traditional set ups or flutter around the edges who aren't absorbed for various reasons.

I know its been said before, but can not see us taking Garrett as he doesn't meet the 'good bloke' requirement.

I think this is one of the main reasons we have such a tight group of players willing to hang around. Break that policy and I think it'll damage our culture.

Interesting comparison:

Between 2001 and 2005 North used 23 picks in the National Draft (not PSD or Rookie). Of those 23 we produced only 5 players who have gone on to play good, consistent AFL footy, 2 of whom have since moved on to other clubs. Hale, Wells, McIntosh, Pratt and Swallow.

Between 2006 and 2010 North used 26 picks in the National Draft (not PSD or Rookie). Of those 26 we produced 10 players who have gone on to play good, consistent AFL footy (Hansen, Goldstein, Thomas, Thompson, Ziebell, Cunnington, Bastinac, Black, Macmillan and Atley) 1 who has moved on to another club (Edwards) and 6 others who are still on the list and have played good footy in patches and could still be important going forward (Tarrant, Greenwood, Wright, Anthony, Harper and Cam Delaney). I can see three of this latter group becoming regular players as they develop and mature, giving us 13 out if 26 picks as long term players, indicating a massive upswing in recruiting and development performance.

No wonder we sucked for a period of time given our close to 0.20 strike rate of ND picks from 2001 - 2005. We have that up to 0.50 over the years 2006 - 2010.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this talk of us or other clubs overlooking Garlett because he like a beer or has smoked in his life and scoffing and our 'good bloke' recruitment policy are totally missing the point.

Will he be a good and dedicated clubman? Will he put the work, the extra work and the work on top of that to make it at the elite level? Will he cope with the reviews. meetings and homework the players have to churn out to satisfy the coaches of their game knowledge?

Most of all, if he does all of the above, makes to senior level and has an impact, will he stick around for less money and repay the club its faith in order to stay successful or will he chase the money and burn the club on the way out? That is the consideration with D.G.

And let's not forget Corey Jones was a year or two older by then and has played some senior footy in SA after he wasn't drafted in his U18 year. So he is hardly a Wilkins type example.

I don't get the whole "missing out on Garlett hysteria. He was a top end talent last year who dropped down the pecking order due to off field problems. But surely, if we wanted to take a punt, it had to be done last year, when we could have got him on cheap, as a rookie even, and would know by now if he is coachable or not.

I've just started having a look at these myself and didn't mind the one of James "Jimmy the Greek" Tsitas. The vision reminded me of a blend of various North players, mostly Stevo, but with a bit of Shagga/JZ/Cunners/Schwatta. Weird combo I know, but it might have been the attitude. I know he doesn't have the pace we're after, but looks okay.

Big difference between being under the rader on BF and under the radar of other clubs. Put it this way, I know for a fact that Wilkins wouldn't have got through to our pick 56.

Big difference between being under the rader on BF and under the radar of other clubs. Put it this way, I know for a fact that Wilkins wouldn't have got through to our pick 56.

So wait, is wilkins really good or something? Not much was heard from him last year, but can anyone vouch for his skillset?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Selections 30 + 47

Remove this Banner Ad

Back