Review Semi Final, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna (sub)

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

• [46] Oscar McInerney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

44 down - meh, whatever, ah well season's over, did well considering (and silver lining realising that my scheduling conflict during the GF would be moot after all)

Kicking goals and watching them miss - this is fun, too bad it is a bit late but technically we can still do this, interest starting to return

8 down - so close, can we actually do this, GWS has form, edge of seat, texts from multiple friends

5 up - PLEASE hold on, waiting for a dodgy forward 50 free that never came

5 up - Joe kicks it forward with 16 secs left - finally sure we would win.

Never in doubt (said no Lion last night)

Watched the whole post match coverage for the first time

When Taylor out marked Joe with about 30 seconds left and quickly moved it on to Idun; I actually thought “ah yeah standard, they’ll get a shot out of this”.

Immense defence on that last entry

It really was quite remarkable what the boys did......and I have watched Fages and the celebrations after, many many times..
..not sick of seeing them yet! Particularly Fages, seeing him so emotional with the boys brought tears to the eyes and big
smiles.....and concern for his ticker!

No wonder he is so loved around the club.
Let the good times roll on!:brisbane:

What I loved seeing was how genuinely involved and excited our three emergencies were in celebrating the win. You could be forgiven for thinking guys would be disappointed in not getting a game but Sharp, Fort and Darragh were all just pumped. Loved it.

I was thinking the same thing; I think Fagan would be great at creating a "squads win premierships" culture. It's always going to tough for fringe players who don't get be on the field but they have a vital role to play.

Yes. Joe seems to be judged by whole different criteria to the rest.
Even by the AA selectors. I'm sick of hearing that they're picking a team that would run out, yet they don't pick one player who could play back up ruck. Sure Hogan picks himself, but then the selectors pick Jeremy Cameron and Jake Waterman who literally never play there and then four mids in the team.

I know Joe has made the team before but he was ripe to be picked this year and it was actually pretty easy and reasonable for them to pick Joe this year particulary in place of Waterman.

I've watched the 2nd half three times now and I still don't know how we did it. Oh well I'll have to watch it again I suppose 😀. Go Lions!
I'm up to three too and plan on watching from when Giants were 44 points up in the third to the end again tonight :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane​

Jarrod Berry: A+

Influential in the second half. Seemed to have a say in every passage. Eight intercepts to spark the Lions from the back half, inspiring play. 27 disposals and five tackles.

Joe Daniher: A+

You really never know what you're gonna get with Joe. Always dangerous, kicked one of the great set shot goals and slotted the go-ahead for his fourth. A genuine wildcard, and when he fires he is as good as anyone.

Will Ashcroft: A

Flipped the game on its head for the Lions. Thrown into the middle of the ground when it seemed all but over in the third and willed the contest back in their favour. Scary to think how good this kid will be. 10 score involvements, nine clearances and 27 touches.

Callum Ah Chee: A-

Played a role on Whitfield and had plenty of involvement in the front half. A game-high 11 score involvements, a great performance.

Dayne Zorko: B+

A difficult night early on for Zorko. Had plenty of attention from James Peatling, was able to find the footy but wasn't able to use it well, but as all champions do, he turned it around with class. Finished with 25 and two massive goals, his passion played as important a role as any in the final half.

Josh Dunkley: B+

Lachie Neale: B

Under the close provision of Toby Bedford all night, couldn’t quite break free to have his usual say on the contest. Despite that, still a strong seven clearances.

Hugh McCluggage: B

Harris Andrews: B

A strange decision to avoid manning Hogan, still played an imposing role but Cadman took him out of several contests which permitted a Hogan v Payne one on one. Regardless, seven intercepts and six marks.

Oscar McInerney: B

Huge as always.

Noah Answerth: B-

Worked as hard as anyone in the back half. Game-high 11 tackles.

Brandon Starcevich: B-

Charlie Cameron: C+

Was able to impose himself late in the game but was noticeably quiet in the teething stages of the game.

Kai Lohmann: C+

Ryan Lester: C

Zac Bailey: C

Incredibly capable but just unable to leave a mark on the game. Some big moments late, just 11 touches.

Jaspa Fletcher: C

Stepped up to kick a massive goal late.

Darcy Wilmot: C

Cam Rayner: C-

A very quiet afternoon for Rayner.

Jack Payne: C-

Brave to get on the park following a knee concern but was simply no contest for Jesse Hogan.

Eric Hipwood: D+

Couldn't get into the game. Beaten comfortably by Jack Buckley, missed a sitter.

Logan Morris: N/A

Only managed two touches in two and a half quarters before being tactically withdrawn.

Conor McKenna: N/A

Brought into the contest in the third term.

A Preliminary Final against the Cats awaits for the Lions, while the Giants drop two massive leads to see their season collapse in straight sets.

Yep. Said this a few weeks ago. No other player in the league gets this type of treatment. Where he wins us a game but then they show all the negatives, being....giving away 1 free, a missed shot at goal and a bad kick lol. Its crazy. He is treated so unfairly. No wonder he wanted out of Melbourne and Essendon. Must have been unbearable.
And even the free wasn’t a really terrible one either.

I've kept receipts on those who wish for my boi Ah Chee to be out of the 22 next season. Let this be a warning to you. Never doubt my boi.
When I questioned who comes out for Linc, the answer almost always is Cal on this board but personally I was never sure. I would drop Morris and run with two talls before dropping Cal for linc.

When I questioned who comes out for Linc, the answer almost always is Cal on this board but personally I was never sure. I would drop Morris and run with two talls before dropping Cal for linc.
I just don't think Fagan will move away from his beloved three talls because if you're trying to force Gardiner into that role you'll try anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Semi Final, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Back