SEN -Tim WATSONS comments on Andrew Johns/Sydney papers

Remove this Banner Ad

Having lived in every Austrlian capital (although somw of them only for a few months) and now on the Gold Coast. AFL gets comparable, if not more coverage in the Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast media compared to Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth.

Flash back a few years to 99 when Tony Lockett broke the AFL/VFL goal scoring record. If someone could locate the Daily Telegraph from that weekend I am sure there was more then 2 pages and maybe even a poster in the Tele that weekend.

The fact is that Andrew Johns is rated as the best player to lace up a boot in either code of rugby (the staunch union fans would argue this, but those who can follow both code without bias would agree). He had the complete game, with his passing, kicking game, strong defence, ability to read a game, breaking the line. Not just the best of his generation, but of all time.

He revolutionalised the way the game was played and acheived so much including:

2 Permierships
3 Dally M (Best and Fairest)
1 Clive Churchill medal (best on ground GF)
Golden Boot (worlds best player)
Captained Newcastle, NSW, Australia
All time point scoring recored
World Cup Winner

Tim Watson, you are an insecure little man. Suffering from the good old little brother syndrome.

Just because Sydney are stuck in their own world, with their one football code, doesn't mean us in Melbourne have to follow the same path.

Here in Melbourne we love sport, in Sydney, they love League.

I see no problem with the coverage NRL gets here, I couldn't care less what Sydney newspapers say about AFL.

Sydney has all the codes.

he captained Australia in rl. about as honourable as captaining NSW against QLD. so much for a national sport. if thats your theory, then Hird, buckley and voss's retirements should be big news in nsw due to them captaining their country too.

But he did captain Australia, against International opposition, in an International sport, not some Hybrid sport made up to give AFL players a chance to represent Australia, i'm no great fan of RL, and until this week wouldn't even know who he played for, but I can acknowledge when someone has represented our country with distinction. The Hird, Buckley and Voss retirements will be/was big news in AFL dominated states.

But he did captain Australia, against International opposition, in an International sport, not some Hybrid sport made up to give AFL players a chance to represent Australia, i'm no great fan of RL, and until this week wouldn't even know who he played for, but I can acknowledge when someone has represented our country with distinction. The Hird, Buckley and Voss retirements will be/was big news in AFL dominated states.

is representing your country in rl anymore important than representing your country in badminton, lawn bowls, chess etc? Nope. Even though I.R is a hybrid, it is still game and been around for a couple of decades. still just as important.

is representing your country in rl anymore important than representing your country in badminton, lawn bowls, chess etc? Nope. Even though I.R is a hybrid, it is still game and been around for a couple of decades. still just as important.
Now you're starting to struggle...

This morning on SEN 1116, Tim Watson blasted the Melbourne media stating it was rubbish that melbourne papers had a few pages dedicated to the retirement of NRL legend Andrew Johns. Timmy stated that if a player of similar ilk in AFL retired, Sydney papers wouldnt even write a column dedicated to their retirement, let alone a few pages.

What do you reckon. If Hirdy, Bucks etc retired, do you think it would even rate a mention. I strongly doubt it. Us Melbournians are so accepting of other sports, unlike Sydney.

Good post mate. There are people in here disagreeing with you but the simple fact remains that the company that owns most of Australia's newspapers also owns NSWRL teams and has a big interest in the NSWRL. Same with Nine and Foxtel. Sadly the same can't be said for AFL, so we don't get that free ride.

The coverage of the NSWRL in Melbourne is FAR better and more open minded than AFL coverage in Sydney. The fact is that these media companys simply don't want AFL to be popular in NSWRL heartlands, because they think it will diminish their product

Absolute rubbish. IR is an excuse to go on an expenses paid boozing trip and belt the crap out of defenceless Irishmen. It does nothing to advance the cause of Aussie Rules internationally. In fact it does more harm than good.

thanks pal. People automatically came to the conclusion it was a nrl vs afl thread. it didnt start that way and i didnt intend it to go that way either. i meant it as you put it. pretty clear i reckon. :)

And their sport may be played in second rate stadiums, but at least most of their clubs haven't sold their soul for the dollar. I'd rather see sport played at Kogarah, Shark Park or Penrith where home ground advantage means something than a half-full soulless Docklands.

I can only laugh - you label me blinkered when your post is one of the most one-eyed things people could read.

I'd put your age at about 15, ie. you were too young to remember the Super League fiasco that the RL brought upon itself.

The fact is that half of the clubs did sell their souls for the almighty dollar, which is the reason so many of them are now merged ie. Wests/Tigers.

RL is the epitome of an artificially manufactured stage-managed competition, in fact I reckon it is only one step away from WWF.

Not for the people playing it, but RL is far more supported than those other sports mentioned, which is why it gets National coverage.

IThe sporting capital of the world doesn't even have a player in 2 of the country's biggest teams - the Wallabies or the Australian Kangaroos. In fact, make that 3 teams - the Australian test cricket team. :thumbsu: Go Vics!

Haha, that's gold, I reckon crowds have been bigger at IR games than the Kangaroos could ever hope for.

International Rugby League is a second rate competition played by little men who can't hack it on the international stage of Rugby Union, and who effectively have their large pay packets subsidised by Channel 9 and Fairfax media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

International Rugby League is a second rate competition played by little men who can't hack it on the international stage of Rugby Union, and who effectively have their large pay packets subsidised by Channel 9 and Fairfax media.

There is far more talent the Australian League pools then Union

I'd put your age at about 15, ie. you were too young to remember the Super League fiasco that the RL brought upon itself.

The fact is that half of the clubs did sell their souls for the almighty dollar, which is the reason so many of them are now merged ie. Wests/Tigers.

RL is the epitome of an artificially manufactured stage-managed competition, in fact I reckon it is only one step away from WWF.

I am very familiar with the Super League debacle - the fact that rugby league survived that let alone grow in the last ten years is a credit to its fan base.

My point was regarding ground rationalisation, a policy in the AFL that has paved the way for the current divide we see between rich and poor in Victoria. I love the fact that cubs like Parramatta, Manly, Cronulla, etc. still have that great attachment to their homes - the only club that can boast that here is Geelong.

Haha, that's gold, I reckon crowds have been bigger at IR games than the Kangaroos could ever hope for.

I'm not much of a fan of rugby league but at least I have some knowledge of the game. Something which is sadly lacking in a lot of these posts.

I guess the fact that Rugby is trying to poach League players may actually prove the talent is there. :confused:

It's funny how all the 'open minded' Victorians are so 'accepting' of RL, yet sink the boot into it at every opportunity, when most of you have probably not watched a game in your life. I'm no RL sympathiser, but acknowledge it to be a tough and quite often enjoyable spectator sport.

For those of you having a dig, it's time to wake up and realise you are no better than the so called narrow minded lot from NSW or QLD.

BTW, those of you placing so much importance on who and what the media reports on are the biggest fools of the lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

SEN -Tim WATSONS comments on Andrew Johns/Sydney papers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back