SEN-Top 10 Tiger games 2010-2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I tell you what annoys me with this type of article is the backhanded compliment in there. The insertion we were no good before 2017 when we were improving each year and made finals from 2013 to 2015, then 2017 to current. It's been a journey and we have won the 3rd most games in the whole league behind Geelong and Hawthorn. So even then, it's a bit of a nonsense. #rantover

Pretty good list, only debatable one is swapping 17 GF with the qualifying final win v the Cats in 17. The Geelong win was huge though, but we were still underdogs heading into that GF, and in hindsight it might not seem so significant since the Crows have kind of fallen off a cliff but they had a very good year in 2017 and a lot were backing them to account for us.

I tell you what annoys me with this type of article is the backhanded compliment in there. The insertion we were no good before 2017 when we were improving each year and made finals from 2013 to 2015, then 2017 to current. It's been a journey and we have won the 3rd most games in the whole league behind Geelong and Hawthorn. So even then, it's a bit of a nonsense. #rantover
Only replied to you to say nice rant. Would read again :p
Now ... I'll fight anyone who says the '17 GF isn't #1. I'll lose, but I'll fight them boxing.gif
I could actually understand saying either the QF or PF that year are number one. The Geelong game was definitely a drought breaker and a MASSIVE monkey off the back for the club and us supporters. My feelings though are that the Prelim was the better night. The atmosphere was unprecedented and the feeling at the end was unlike anything I've ever experienced.
But come on, that Grand Final ..............
AFL-Grand-Final-Richmond-Tigers-2017.jpg

My personal greatest Richmond game of all time is last years GF. It’s our greatest ever GF triumph and third greatest winning GF margin in history. I can’t top it.

Everyone has their own nuances to est their order. I would have had that surprise W Vs Freo when they opened their season with 8 straight until we belted them on their Home deck , purest footy ever .
The three finals of 2017 would occupy top 3 for mine
Best HA I ever seen was r23 2014 v swans , tbh I was as stoked as any finals win , I could have burst
Last years away W Vs PA and Freo were right up there
And of course the 2019 3 finals games
We sure have been blessed in this era

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. What also annoys me is when people refer to Adelaide as "the dominant team all year". They finished half a game ahead of us - and they had a home game against us but we didn't have one against them (ditto Geelong). We lost seven games for the season and four of them were by a kick. Adelaide won their first six, then just 11 of their remaining 19. Hardly "dominant all year".

And as great as the 2017 qualifying final win was, anyone who doesn't have the GF at 1 is high.

I had goose bumps reading that article. Still remember like yesterday beating Port in 2010 to win first game of the year. Ben Griffith's first game. Thought he was could be anything after handling the wet as well as anyone.

Moving onto more recent times

I rate the win against Geelong in 2017 QF as our best win of the decade. I know its not a flag, but it allowed players and supporters alike to believe. I hate to think how many times Richmond beat Geelong in the 25 years proceeding that win. And to think we were only up a kick or so with a few minutes remaining in 3rd quarter. The Prestia goal after Martin beat Tom Stewart on the bank flank maybe my favourite Tiger moment.

I'm getting all sentimental. I spend the last few weeks watching Richmond play in 67, 69, 72, 73 and 74 Grand Finals. First time I have seen legends of our club play. 80 and 82 next weekend (damn streaker).

The 2017 QF was special, no doubt. Finals gorilla off the back, long-time nemesis vanquished, belief building. The Martin to Jack to Prestia goal instantly as iconic for a new generation as Royce's Mark. The 3/4-time roar shook the stands. It was 80,000 Richmond fans bellowing, "WE'VE GOT YOU, YOU campaignerS! You're not beating us tonight!" It was collective will and a singular message to our lads: "We believe in you. You've got this. Go get it." It was spine-tingling.

It was a huge win, but for me each win that September built on the last. The QF unshackled something in all of us long-suffering Tigers, lifted the oppressive emotional weight from our psychic shoulders. But then the PF, that was a different feeling again. Whereas the QF was an unleashing of rage and frustration, the PF win released joy and hope. And the GF, my God. ALL THE EMOTIONS.

You can't get to the top of a ladder without moving past the first rung, so the 2017 QF is one of our most significant victories in 40 years - in fact, I'd say it's in the top three. It's just the top two came later in the same month.

The 2017 series was just unreal. Hats off RATD on your post. 2019 Geelol prelim right behind them ( I hate Duckwood, Clangerfield, Gawwy, salty Scott and all the other campaigners)
Honorable mention to Demons game Anzac Eve 2017, JR08 effing superb, come from behind, 5-0, crowd went nuts, I was shaking my head in disbelief.

Last edited:
Can't forget that cotchin goal to shove it up all the critics 😍😍
the first time my daughters saw the 'great' Richmond . The buzz walking there from Flinders St , the expectation and the absolute joy walking back with them joy . And of course Cochins spinning goal !!

Gave me so much satisfaction to see them finally see the Great Richmond and know that , well I might be been talking some shite , but all the crap somehow was worth it. It sure has been nice to pay back every prick who made our life's miserable. 34 more years to go !

Instead of Sunderland Til I die , its Richmond til I die !!

The 2017 series was just unreal. Hats off RATD on your post. 2019 Geelol prelim right behind them ( I hate Duckwood, Clangerfield, and sadly Gawwy, salty Scott and all the other campaigners)
Honorable mention to Demons game Anzac Eve 2017, JR08 effing superb, come from behind, 5-0, crowd went nuts, I was shaking my head in disbelief.
Good call. I watched that Melbourne game in the Beach Hotel, Byron Bay. There must have been 30 private school old boys with their popped-collar polos cheering for the "Dees". My mate was elsewhere on a date so I was on my paddy until two Sydney-siders joined the cause. They had no idea who "Jacky-boy" was but they were screaming for him almost as loudly as I was.

The Melbourne fans were lippy in the first half, had vacated the premises well before the final siren.

the first time my daughters saw the 'great' Richmond . The buzz walking there from Flinders St , the expectation and the absolute joy walking back with them joy . And of course Cochins spinning goal !!

Gave me so much satisfaction to see them finally see the Great Richmond and know that , well I might be been talking some shite , but all the crap somehow was worth it. It sure has been nice to pay back every prick who made our life's miserable. 34 more years to go !

Instead of Sunderland Til I die , its Richmond til I die !!
I did the same thing man, I gave it back to all the people who used to hammer me and safe to say, they werent too happy... i told them "it was alright for u to kick us while we're down, now I give it back while we r up"

The round 22 game in 2017 against Freo is one of my favorites. 4 points down at quarter time 104 up at the end .Towner w ith 6 ,Rancey kicking a goal and Dusty destroying Freo .Only very good sides put 108 points on a team in 3 quarters .
that game built true belief as much as the following QF :D

Pre 2017 we couldn't win a final and we found embarrassing ways to lose. Carlton, when they shouldn't have been in the finals, Port: not using the toss properly and North: a horrid performance by us. So for all the good work in the home and away, we couldn't win a final.
Pre 2017 who cared about where Richmond played finals? No-one. Now our fixture is under Cane Cornes' microscope for evidence of vic bias.
Our 3 best games are the 2017 finals wins. Special mention to the Geelong win, breaking a 10 year hoodoo. Next 3 are the 2019 finals. 2019 Port Adelaide win was great. And any of the other 3 that SEN mentioned round out the top 10. Or hoodoo breaking wins

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

SEN-Top 10 Tiger games 2010-2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back