Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright did some research. heres a list of guys that would be in the mix IF Woosha gets cut.

1. James Hird. Media seems to be pushing it and not entirely against it given the players played for him and he had us playing some decent footy in 2012 and 2013, all be it under questionable circumstances. Would say its long odds.

2. Brett Ratten. Coached before, spent years at the Hawthorn Coaching school of excellence. Already can see improvements in St Kilda in 2 weeks with him as part of the coaching group.

3. Scott Burns. Has done multiple apprenticeships. Was close on a number of occasions for other roles. Currently at the Hawthorn coaching school of excellence.

4. John Barker. Forgotten commodity like Burns. Close on a number of occasions for the Carlton, Gold Coast, Adelaide and Brisbane roles. Issue is he hasn't been part of a successful environment at the Blue Baggers.

5. Blake Caracella. Success is following him so could be a left field choice.

6. Ben Rutten. Only issue is although he is viewed as a senior coach in waiting he is currently in the environment that is stinking it up in the first two weeks.

7. Dean Solomon. Essendon person, known as a players coach at Gold Coast.
Might be out there, but matt Clarke from the crows aflw side has fostered a winning culture. Clearly has a clue

I worry a bit for Worsfold. The players and club were smashed from pillar to post last week, and the first half they responded with against St Kilda was just as bad.

There’s very little - if any - basic motivation happening.
I think it's largely confidence and not motivation. The guys just look completely out of confidence, hence the really really dumb errors we've made in the first two rounds. If we start well, I can see things turning this Friday night.

I think it's largely confidence and not motivation. The guys just look completely out of confidence, hence the really really dumb errors we've made in the first two rounds. If we start well, I can see things turning this Friday night.

im with you, its not far away, I can see it.

the pressure returned in the second half - with that will come confidence, then instinctive ball movement, then reward for effort.

It wont take much from here

anyone have a link to his press conference this morning?
Summary
534a26b53e375900e7811e8cb7668c09.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do not agree with at all as far as midfield goes. You either have the instinct or you do not and it is not running patterns I am talking specifically about although it can be hard to get players heads around them if it is not natural. The big issue for players trying to learn midfield is not rushing into the ball or a contest you can not effect. Sides with genuine midfielders do not have this issue. Their players know how to evaluate the situation instinctively and will sit on the 3m rim or 5m rim of a contest if the numbers inside are even where as we just charge in thinking we are doing the right thing and putting pressure on and that is how sides easily clear the ball. You can only evolve this in players who have that instinct.

So as far as selection goes the theory you put out is okay but we do have to have the players who can play the roles and our genuine midfielders are not under developed because we do not have them, particularly the inside ball winners. We have Clarke and despite all efforts his kicking is woeful and not up to AFL standard. Who do we have after that ? who has not been developed well enough ? Much is one who may have got more senior games but has also had some injury and health problems. Mynot may be okay but is a rookie who needed some time. Parish gets games. Laverde has been injured 3 or 4 times a year so has not been fit enough to play a lot of VFL midfield let alone senior midfield. Begly injured. There are no other midfield types who have not been given a go.

To be really blunt we have 4 midfielders who player all midfield as juniors ,Shiel , Much , Clarke and Mynot and three players who where flankers who can play a midfield role pretty well in Heppell , McGrath and Dev Smith. Zaharakis has always been a winger/ half forward which is why he is not effective in the middle.
It is a list problem the coach has been stuck with.

You are right in questioning selection as some players seem to get a free ride but even then the coach alone does not select the side and it is not an issue that is common to only Essendon. I still say the issue is Dodoro and his belief he can look smart turning flankers into midfielders.
Maybe it's something I don't understand about the football department, but I don't get the idea that Dodoro would turn flankers, or any other position player, into a mid. Dodoro doesn't coach. How would he ever do that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Back