Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s just about done enough. I’d wanna win 13 games personally. That’d actually be an improvement on last year.

The other big positive is he’s actually progressed the team this year and finally let go of some stale types

With 3 games left D Clarke has played 9 (1 last year)

Francis 14 (5 last year)

Guelfi 17 (15)

Parish 18 (15)

Redman 16 (2)

Snelling and Ham have also debuted

Next year will hopefully be about answering the Langford and Laverde questions (what are they?) and getting a decent run at it with McKernan, Daniher and Fantasia.
I feel as though the Langford question has been answered. He's a forward, clearly, and not the player we need.

Where have I heard that before? We had a pretty full list in the first few weeks of the season and we were shocking.

Only time we've been close to top 4 in the last 15 years is 2013. Anything is else is just pure fantasy.
You mean with Hooker and Daniher out? Plus a couple of our best mids not fit. Smith wasn’t right all year.

I mean what are you talking about. Before this week we were a game out of top 4 without half a dozen of our top 10 out.

Worsfold has responded to the early season criticism well; to have us in 7th at this stage and with our injury list speaks to that. The issue for me is that with early season wins that should have been easily gained we could actually be in a much better position instead of now fretting about winning one or two of our final matches; we shouldn't be in this situation to start with.

That he has improved seems only to be because the writing was on the wall in Round 7 or 8.
He needs to be able to explain why it took so long for him to react. He needs to be able to identify why we began the season seemingly out of condition and unready.

He's very lucky to have Rutten who has improved us defensively (the Port result notwithstanding). If not, he may have been given the boot weeks ago. Round 7 or 8 2020 would be my marker. Not too late to save a season, and a pre-season and third of a season long enough to gauge whether there's been any real improvement.

You mean with Hooker and Daniher out? Plus a couple of our best mids not fit. Smith wasn’t right all year.

I mean what are you talking about. Before this week we were a game out of top 4 without half a dozen of our top 10 out.
I think he means playing like a top 4 side. Brisbane, Geelong and West Coast play like top 4 sides, Richmond scarily is again now and Collingwood were earlier in the year. Our wins have been deceptive. We've been playing like a finals contender, but our margins and percentage speak for the fact that we're middling.

What is the main difference between us and Brisbane? We both had access to early round draft picks in 2015 and 2016 but they have convincingly leap-frogged us since - is it poor recruiting or list management, or game plan and culture? Injuries? All of the above? Just curious...

What is the main difference between us and Brisbane? We both had access to early round draft picks in 2015 and 2016 but they have convincingly leap-frogged us since - is it poor recruiting or list management, or game plan and culture? Injuries? All of the above? Just curious...
Brisbane were getting high draft picks earlier than 2015 and 2016 because they've been crap for years. Since 2010 the highest they've finished is 12th.

By comparison, since 2010 we have only finished lower than 12th three times and lost two years worth of first round picks thanks to Dank. We've never bottomed out for long enough to bring in high end draftees over a number of years, and the years our list should have been at it's peak were ruined by the ASADA shit.

To be fair, Brisbane have leapfrogged most sides. We did beat them though

the years our list should have been at it's peak were ruined by the ASADA s**t.

Our list still didn't enough have enough to be a contender. No small forwards of quality, lacked elite midfield depth after Watson. Overall our list now is better then except for Hurley and Hooker being in their primes.

Pretty sure all 5 teams tried to shut us down but weren’t good enough to do so.

Close to a full list and we’d be sitting in top 4.
Woosha is not to blame for yesterday, but I do believe that the bolded is our doing. We've severely mismanaged injuries this year. You don't have that many injuries and use it as an excuse. Everything from off-season preparation to injury management has been awful this year. When that happens every year, then we're clearly doing something wrong.

Woosha is not to blame for yesterday, but I do believe that the bolded is our doing. We've severely mismanaged injuries this year. You don't have that many injuries and use it as an excuse. Everything from off-season preparation to injury management has been awful this year. When that happens every year, then we're clearly doing something wrong.
Agree. As an outside observer, I do wonder if our volume of injuries has anything to do with our poor pre season form and preparation.

I think he means playing like a top 4 side. Brisbane, Geelong and West Coast play like top 4 sides, Richmond scarily is again now and Collingwood were earlier in the year. Our wins have been deceptive. We've been playing like a finals contender, but our margins and percentage speak for the fact that we're middling.

Brisbane and Cats have been injury free. Tigers were thrashed by North at height of their injuries and have come good when all returned (bar Rance). Pies have struggled since being injury hit.

Charmed run with injury, great draw, tangible home field advantage, access to a feeder academy and no ASADA saga to drain established, mature talent? Is this a serious question?

If you told me at the start of the season that we were neck deep in the hunt for finals but Daniher, Smith, Bellchambers, Heppell, Fantasia, Hurley, Stringer, McKernan and Ambrose would miss significant chunks of the season I wouldn’t even be calling Worsfold a miracle worker (he’s not, he’s just steady) I just wouldn’t believe you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you told me at the start of the season that we were neck deep in the hunt for finals but Daniher, Smith, Bellchambers, Heppell, Fantasia, Hurley, Stringer, McKernan and Ambrose would miss significant chunks of the season I wouldn’t even be calling Worsfold a miracle worker (he’s not, he’s just steady) I just wouldn’t believe you.
Feels like we are neck deep falling out of finals

Their fixture?

There is a reason why West Coast turfed him the bloke is past it as a coach gets easily out coached and couldn't motivate a group of players if it hit him square on the forehead.
Gattuso is available now I think
AC Milan boss Gennaro Gattuso has revealed he let players hit him in the head as it makes them happy

People say I don't like Worsfold because we lose when it's not true.

I wasn't a fan when we appointed him. There is a reason why West Coast turfed him the bloke is past it as a coach gets easily out coached and couldn't motivate a group of players if it hit him square on the forehead.
Yes it is. Any possible negative and you latch onto it.

Easily outcoached? He's outcoached Clarkson, the best tactical coach of the modern era in half the games we've played Hawthorne, he's beaten several premiership coaches in a tactical battle in his time at Essendon (Simpson last year, Clarkson, Chris Scott, John Longmire) and has had a 35-29 record when unaffected by ASADA. If we win the next 2 and then lose to Collingwood in a dead rubber theoretically you'll complain for the two weeks before we play them again and if we win that you'll shut up again.

Unpopular opinion here, but I think John and the team are doing a reasonable job with the list available to them - especially in the last 5-6 weeks or so.

Given our current Win/Loss ratio, id fully expect the club to allow John to see out his contract next year. We'd have to royally s**t the bed (aka full Essington) from here, for that not to be the case.

Personally, I'm more concerned with our health and fitness - predominantly the number of injuries on our list. I'd also like to see us target ball winning mids. Yesterday's loss showed us that we have virtually no depth available in that area, with injuries to Hepp and Parish.

I think you are onto something, what are Collingwood, Richmond and Geelong doing that we are not, unfortunately I don't know of any "blitz" like websites that covers those clubs preseasons but they seem to be better trained, better skilled, and better depth which comes from better list development. Before changing the coach we need to say good bye to the assistants except Rutten and Kelly, and possibly the fitness staff as well then take a look at Woosha.

Yes it is. Any possible negative and you latch onto it.

Easily outcoached? He's outcoached Clarkson, the best tactical coach of the modern era in half the games we've played Hawthorne, he's beaten several premiership coaches in a tactical battle in his time at Essendon (Simpson last year, Clarkson, Chris Scott, John Longmire) and has had a 35-29 record when unaffected by ASADA. If we win the next 2 and then lose to Collingwood in a dead rubber theoretically you'll complain for the two weeks before we play them again and if we win that you'll shut up again.

If he was such a good coach we wouldn't get belted by Port at home he would have had the team fired up but instead the opposite

If he was such a good coach we wouldn't get belted by Port at home he would have had the team fired up but instead the opposite

Woosha would probably point out that WCE were hardly ever belted at home. The coach can only do so much and the way we were playing and with the injuries to key players, it was only time before someone came along and won over this side.

If he was such a good coach we wouldn't get belted by Port at home
Strawman argument. Was anybody calling Clarkson a shit coach when Hawthorne lost to Gold Coast by 86 and St. Kilda by 75 two years ago? Was anybody calling Simpson a shit coach when they lost to bottom 4 Sydney by 45 points this year? These are a couple of examples of very good coaches being beaten by shit sides, not even by a side that is hot and cold like Port, who's hot is up there with the best in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Back