Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2011 or 2012? Nope, that’s not an excuse.

Obviously Hird was a decent enough coach, but his record hardly suggests he was amazing either.

I think Hird would have still been coach if it weren't for the saga. Yes he wasn't the best coach but it's the only time I felt we were a premiership chance under him

There's a reason why I always wanted him gone even when we were winning, in the last few weeks people have been saying how he's a great coach, pulling the right moves and whatever. At no point in the last 5 games did anyone actually attempt to shut us down like West Coast did, and all we could do was barely eek out come from behind wins. When we're allowed to do whatever we want against weak opposition, and almost lose every single time, it shows that our gameplan is no good. Worsfold has to go because he makes the team weak.

I didn’t see the game but I’m guessing that we want to be a great team and we’re working to be a great team but we’re not yet a great team so we lost.

We're learning more about how we want to play together as a team and what that looks like

To be fair, this loss wasn't on Woosha. Some unfortunate circumstances coupled with at least half the squad playing close to their worst game of the year meant that he really couldn't do much to change the tide.

Team structure was messed up, but that was because of Parish and McKernan's injuries.

This loss is entirely on the playing group.

He’d be well within his rights to sit down in a presser and go ‘who the **** knows guys’

So many different variables that aren’t really within his control are threatening to kill this season it’s almost as if they’re all cancelling each other. Three Stooges Syndrome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s just about done enough. I’d wanna win 13 games personally. That’d actually be an improvement on last year.

The other big positive is he’s actually progressed the team this year and finally let go of some stale types

With 3 games left D Clarke has played 9 (1 last year)

Francis 14 (5 last year)

Guelfi 17 (15)

Parish 18 (15)

Redman 16 (2)

Snelling and Ham have also debuted

Next year will hopefully be about answering the Langford and Laverde questions (what are they?) and getting a decent run at it with McKernan, Daniher and Fantasia.

Interesting time for Woosha and the club. We are slowly improving but is that enough ? Also, is this improvement due to natural list maturity and the recruitment of senior players? Or player development and game plan (coaching)?

I think that comes down to where the club sees this list and the answer to that is top 4 - this is not a good sign for Woosha's tenure beyond 2019 IMO.

I think it's a really fine line for John. I'd say if we miss finals he's gone(or should be gone) If he makes them and we lose (lose well-not a Carlton type finals loss - sorry) he most likely stays and if we win one he stays.

I think our current W/L is actually quite flattering to how we've performed as a team. I think our percentage right now truly reflects how we've performed - and that's 100% middle of the road.

We absolutely botch the start of the 2018 season, go 2-6. Sure our run home was great - but that's too little to late. So what would any great coach do? Work OT to ensure we don't repeat ourselves and come into 2019 guns blazing.

Come 2019, what happens? We start 3-5. Great - and we're still embarrassing ourselves against top teams like Geelong, Eagles and Richmond.

We did just come off a win streak and the media heralded this "comeback footy" we're playing, but we shouldn't be in that position to begin with. We nearly lost to the Suns ffs.

Look at what the Lions have achieved since 2017 - and we've just gone backwards.

Time to move on Woosh. Thank u, next.

He’s just about done enough. I’d wanna win 13 games personally. That’d actually be an improvement on last year.

The other big positive is he’s actually progressed the team this year and finally let go of some stale types

With 3 games left D Clarke has played 9 (1 last year)

Francis 14 (5 last year)

Guelfi 17 (15)

Parish 18 (15)

Redman 16 (2)

Snelling and Ham have also debuted

Next year will hopefully be about answering the Langford and Laverde questions (what are they?) and getting a decent run at it with McKernan, Daniher and Fantasia.
He needs to at the very least compete in a final. If we're out of the game by HT again, then there'll be some questions asked. I'd give him next year to see what he can do.

He's certainly shown some improvement in his coaching though. More flexible with position and changes.

There's a reason why I always wanted him gone even when we were winning, in the last few weeks people have been saying how he's a great coach, pulling the right moves and whatever. At no point in the last 5 games did anyone actually attempt to shut us down like West Coast did, and all we could do was barely eek out come from behind wins. When we're allowed to do whatever we want against weak opposition, and almost lose every single time, it shows that our gameplan is no good. Worsfold has to go because he makes the team weak.

Pretty sure all 5 teams tried to shut us down but weren’t good enough to do so.

Close to a full list and we’d be sitting in top 4.

It's the list far more than his coaching. You can really break it down simply; how many elite kicks do we have (both field and at goal)? How many elite decision makers? How many elite ball winners? How many elite runners? How many players with natural defensive traits or aggression? I'd imagine we'd be bottom 6 for most of those categories and not near the top on any of them. I never wanted him as a coach, but I think if anything after the last 10 weeks, he's had us over performing with the injuries we've had this year.

Pretty sure all 5 teams tried to shut us down

And which of the 5 teams shut down Saad and McKenna and stopped us from rebounding into an open forward line? Zero. The Eagles gave everyone a blueprint how to beat us, and I was waiting for one of the last 5 sides to copy it. If anything it speaks to the stupidity of GWS, Sydney, North, Adelaide and Gold Coast.

Unpopular opinion here, but I think John and the team are doing a reasonable job with the list available to them - especially in the last 5-6 weeks or so.

Given our current Win/Loss ratio, id fully expect the club to allow John to see out his contract next year. We'd have to royally shit the bed (aka full Essington) from here, for that not to be the case.

Personally, I'm more concerned with our health and fitness - predominantly the number of injuries on our list. I'd also like to see us target ball winning mids. Yesterday's loss showed us that we have virtually no depth available in that area, with injuries to Hepp and Parish.

And he's been there for 4 drafts and trade periods, if the list is s**t that's his problem too.

That's the role of the list manager. Woosha would tell Dodoro what types to target and it's up to him to get the quality.

Pretty sure all 5 teams tried to shut us down but weren’t good enough to do so.

Close to a full list and we’d be sitting in top 4.

Where have I heard that before? We had a pretty full list in the first few weeks of the season and we were shocking.

Only time we've been close to top 4 in the last 15 years is 2013. Anything is else is just pure fantasy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Back