SEQAFL Division 1 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Ovens and Murray star now a Mayne Tiger

The Mayne Tigers have started 2013 with a bang by signing Albury Tigers star and the 2011 Ovens & Murray League Medalist Shaun Daly as a playing assistant coach. The 27 year old midfielder will bring with him some much needed finals experience to Everton Park as the Tigers look to break a premiership drought dating back to 1982 when the late Mick Nolan led Mayne to victory at Windsor Park.
Daly, an accountant, will relocate to Brisbane with work in late January and identified the challenge of guiding the improving Tigers outfit to finals as his prime motivation for the decision to play for Brisbane's most famous club.
"Albury Tigers were in a similar position when I joined the club and we have enjoyed terrific success the last 4 years. I have been really impressed with the efforts of Mayne in helping us to settle in and can't wait to get into it." Daly Noted.
Daly will add considerable size and strength to the Tigers midfield which will also feature 2011 club champion Adam Stevenson, Tom Falconer and ex Qld representative Nikos Keim. Mitch Ferguson, in his 6th year as senior coach credits an astute recruiting drive as a major reason the Tigers will develop even further in 2013.
"It was extremely important that any player we were talking to fit the criteria for us both on and off the field. We spent a considerable amount of time doing our homework on players and are confident that the boys who join the Tigers this season will be terrific servants to the club" Ferguson Said.
Daly will be joined at Mayne by his former teammate Josh Duffy who played alongside former Brisbane Lions star Daniel Bradshaw at Howlong last season. A tenacious midfield / forward type Duffy will relish the opportunity to again play under Daly where the wide expanses of Everton Park will suit his combination of electric pace and sublime skill. A schoolteacher by day Duffy is also looking forward to working with and developing the younger players at Mayne where he will draw on his finals experience in Victoria.
Tiger G.... Daly is a huge gain for your club, A fantastic player who will carve up at this level. He would be a star at NEAFL level, no doubts.

Kien player senior footy at Zillmere as a teenager, played stat 21's footy I think and is an enourmous talent. I would doubt he would play the first half of the year, similar to this year, which he missed most of due to uni I believe. Mayne starting to put together a good side. Colch played for Aspley last two seasons after playing senior footy at Sandgate as a 17 year old, also played state 21's I think. Plays at fullback. Will be good for Grange. Sandgate Jnr, wonder why he hasnt gone there to play?

Kien player senior footy at Zillmere as a teenager, played stat 21's footy I think and is an enourmous talent. I would doubt he would play the first half of the year, similar to this year, which he missed most of due to uni I believe. Mayne starting to put together a good side. Colch played for Aspley last two seasons after playing senior footy at Sandgate as a 17 year old, also played state 21's I think. Plays at fullback. Will be good for Grange. Sandgate Jnr, wonder why he hasnt gone there to play?

Probably got worried about the genuine pass of the the midfield! Long, etc but now that he has moved on, I'm not sure????

Both blokes were originally touted as Burleigh pick ups weren't they? Can't imagine Mayne spending a mountain of $$ on them but more like finding good employment for both which seems to be the key this year. Probably not a bad thing either - to my mind getting blokes work is much better for the player and club (although I reckon some blokes like the idea of being able to spruik off that they are on good bucks to play) rather than believing that they will survive on $250/wk plus some casual laboring work. You may as well write down "one season only" for these sort of guys.

Spot on smy, I hope for the leagues sake these sorts of guys hang around, they would have come up here under no illusions that the match payments will be significantly less than what they where on. The key to keeping these guys in our company will largely depend on the success of the club! If they ate getting their ass handed to them each week, it would get pretty old quick! Would have to think that both mayne and burleigh will be stronger again this year and finals should be a pass mark for the year! Mayne may have slightly higher expectations after last years position and players picked up. Burleigh have picked up a couple of ex Redlands players combined with Koehler, Pete hay, wade Dickson and a couple of former players coming back, maybe they to will have higher expectations?

Amazing when you get "one of these" I reckon Damo - a gun player, not asking for work and sounds like he might be playing for reasons other than a shit load of cash bc he could have picked this up at half a doz other clubs you would think. To my mind Mayne have probably picked up a couple of quality blokes as well as footballers if this is indeed the case. Good luck to them and it just starts to tighten things up a little more in Div 1 imo.

Spot on smy, I hope for the leagues sake these sorts of guys hang around, they would have come up here under no illusions that the match payments will be significantly less than what they where on. The key to keeping these guys in our company will largely depend on the success of the club! If they ate getting their arse handed to them each week, it would get pretty old quick! Would have to think that both mayne and burleigh will be stronger again this year and finals should be a pass mark for the year! Mayne may have slightly higher expectations after last years position and players picked up. Burleigh have picked up a couple of ex Redlands players combined with Koehler, Pete hay, wade Dickson and a couple of former players coming back, maybe they to will have higher expectations?

Wow, Pete Hay is back playing. Thats great. 18 months ago the bloke was in ICU and they weren't sure if he would walk again. To be training, let alone playing Div 1 seniors is a nothing short of a miracle.

I hope for his sake he can make it back to where he was before his stroke. 10/10 bloke is Pete Hay

Wow, Pete Hay is back playing. Thats great. 18 months ago the bloke was in ICU and they weren't sure if he would walk again. To be training, let alone playing Div 1 seniors is a nothing short of a miracle.

I hope for his sake he can make it back to where he was before his stroke. 10/10 bloke is Pete Hay

Great fella, and will be an enormous effort to get back playing senior footy. From all accounts still has some kinks to iron out but is keen to give it a go. Great story none the less!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vearing was moving to the Sunny Coast, but have heard he has now decided to stay in Bris. Big gets for the Pumas. I presume by now most teams back on the track. Saw Palmies 1st day back is tomorrow at 8am with a 3k Time trial, beep test and 4 x 1 k trials scheduled!

Vearing was moving to the Sunny Coast, but have heard he has now decided to stay in Bris. Big gets for the Pumas. I presume by now most teams back on the track. Saw Palmies 1st day back is tomorrow at 8am with a 3k Time trial, beep test and 4 x 1 k trials scheduled![

It's about now yesterday's festivities are kicking in and the thought of going through that would be right up there with having a second arseh*le inserted! Oh well good luck, will take much enjoyment watching from the sports bar, rip in lads.

Should be a tougher draw for Mayne this year, playing all of the top 5 teams from last year twice. Only play 5 teams twice. I hope Daly is as good as they say he is!

Should be a tougher draw for Mayne this year, playing all of the top 5 teams from last year twice. Only play 5 teams twice. I hope Daly is as good as they say he is!
Pinky951,
rest assured, Daly is as good as they say he is.... will be a gun in this league... but as u know, it takes a team to win games, not just one guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

SEQAFL Division 1 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back