SFL DIV3 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see some close results this weekend. I was lucky enough to watch CPL take on BR and it was a really good game to watch. I have watched CPL quite a few times this year and they just manage to be in front when it counts. Now if you look through my posts, I have never mentioned the umpiring standards however the umpiring today by one of the guys (lets say the younger one who has been in a good paddock) was nothing but appalling. I'm not saying he affected the outcome of the game, but he was so obviously bias to CPL it almost became funny. I have seen him umpire CPL a couple of times and when I now think back, opposition teams get nothing from him. Does he have any allegiance to CPL at all and if so he should not be allowed to umpire any more games that CPL are playing in. Anyhow it was a really good game to watch and look forward to mare games like this throughout the year!

I was there - you're being diplomatic. The tubby younger umpire was clearly in favor of CPL in the last. That holding the ball decision when the ball had already been called out of bounds (without prior opportunity too), was such a howler that I struggle to believe it could just be a mistake. I don't say that lightly.

The fact that it was late in the last with 3 points the difference, and resulted in a CPL goal to clinch it just made it worse.

But you are right Melway. Appalling was a kind way to describe that young fella's bias. Was so pro Carrum that questions need to be asked.

Was a strange game re BR and cpl.... BR were all over them in first quarter but fell away.... Umpiring was ordinary for both sides from what I saw but it's not an easy job so easy to write them off from the boundary.... In my opinion the league should be targeting ex players to umpire as they have a feel for the game , the guy umpiring cpl v BR today looked like he had no idea even at one stage he tried to overrule a goal umpires decision??? In saying that when a big game occurs dive 1 or 2 umpires should be assigned in my opinion....

Agree Bigbrother it isn't an easy game to umpire hence why I very rarely mention umpires. Totally agree with getting ex players to umpire games however we must also be careful not to allow them to umpire a game when their ex club is playing. Salty Walrus, I was down the far end when he tried to over rule the goal umpire and call a behind. The set shot was from a tough angle and he was in the centre of the ground. I don't believe I have ever seen a field umpire call a score from that angle as there is no way he could have determined if it had or had not gone through. Well done to the goal umpire for sticking with his decision. As for the holding the ball decision.....I think the umpire had it in for that player throughout the day. It will be interesting to see how he goes the next time he umpires a CPL game.

Good to see some close results this weekend. I was lucky enough to watch CPL take on BR and it was a really good game to watch. I have watched CPL quite a few times this year and they just manage to be in front when it counts. Now if you look through my posts, I have never mentioned the umpiring standards however the umpiring today by one of the guys (lets say the younger one who has been in a good paddock) was nothing but appalling. I'm not saying he affected the outcome of the game, but he was so obviously bias to CPL it almost became funny. I have seen him umpire CPL a couple of times and when I now think back, opposition teams get nothing from him. Does he have any allegiance to CPL at all and if so he should not be allowed to umpire any more games that CPL are playing in. Anyhow it was a really good game to watch and look forward to mare games like this throughout the year!

Completely agree, I wasn't at the game but I was playing in the Mt Waverley v Dandenong game. Both umpires in our game were by far the worst I have seen this year, 2 of our players went down unconscious in the center of the ground and both times the umpires claimed they didn't see it. Surely with 2 umpires you could see someone being knocked out cold in the middle of the ground!?? The first one was behind play so maybe it's understandable but the second incedent our player had his head over the ball and as he picked it up a Dandenong player came through and with no intent to tackle whatsoever ran straight through with his shoulder and made contact only
with our players head. It was that blatant and disgusting I'm not sure how he was not red carded, I was screaming at the umpires as our player was laying flat out unconscious on his back but nothing. Eventually they awarded a free kick against me for abuse. At the end of the quarter I approached the field umpire and he replied, and I quote, "there was no malice in it" which to I replied "so you saw it then?" He said "yes" I asked him why then he didn't pay a free kick for high contact and he replied with "because it was unintentional" ??????????!!!!!!!

So guys the new rules seem to be if you clean take a players head off and knock him out cold BUT you didn't mean it, it's no free kick.

And just to add, they are only 2 examples off a game that was to put it politely, terribly umpired.

Choc Lilly that is shocking, unfortunately the umpires at div three are not great, but they still need to protect the player , it always seems to be the same umpires that seem to have an almost vindictive view towards players who may question a decision or lack of one.... Watching the BR v cpl game yesterday the umpiring really detracted from a great contest and unfortunately they did have an outcome on the result.... It will be interesting finals series as from what I saw yesterday there are 3 legitimate chances with sandown not far behind ...

Was a strange game re BR and cpl.... BR were all over them in first quarter but fell away.... Umpiring was ordinary for both sides from what I saw but it's not an easy job so easy to write them off from the boundary.... In my opinion the league should be targeting ex players to umpire as they have a feel for the game , the guy umpiring cpl v BR today looked like he had no idea even at one stage he tried to overrule a goal umpires decision??? In saying that when a big game occurs dive 1 or 2 umpires should be assigned in my opinion....
The league are. Ilya Fridman ex Bentleigh & Dingley is now umpiring. whilst still wearing the light green he is already a really competent umpire. Will be a fantastic ump for Div 1 next year

That is good to know , it seems like the umpires are trying to copy afl by letting holding the ball decisions go when players have prior opportunity is this something they have been directed to do? It's frustrating being a spectator and seeing a player get run down with ball only for it to be called play on

Obviously we won't be able to get umpires from division one to umpire division three home and away games, as they'll already be umpiring division one games. You tend to notice the umpires more when you're losing anyway. Win a few games and I don't think you will have this issue

I was there - you're being diplomatic. The tubby younger umpire was clearly in favor of CPL in the last. That holding the ball decision when the ball had already been called out of bounds (without prior opportunity too), was such a howler that I struggle to believe it could just be a mistake. I don't say that lightly.

The fact that it was late in the last with 3 points the difference, and resulted in a CPL goal to clinch it just made it worse.

But you are right Melway. Appalling was a kind way to describe that young fella's bias. Was so pro Carrum that questions need to be asked.

You must of missed the free kick given to BR when CPL were starting to gap them in the third, when the CPL player just about knocked the bladder out the ball in a marking contest that resulted in a goal?

BR had 3 goals from direct free kicks inside of 25m.

I wouldn't be crying too foul.

And your wrong anyway, that holding the ball call was with about 5 minutes to go, and I don't think BR got to within 3 points at anytime in the last. It also happened on center wing, hardly a game changing free kick from the goal square is it?

Sphinx, that FK to BR was average however it was the older guy who gave that one. Maybe he was trying to even the game up due his "mates" inability to umpire?? Didn't really notice the other ones you are referring to and agree the holding the ball one didn't impact the result. As I previously mentioned I personally don't believe the umpiring determined the final outcome however the younger one obviously had a hidden agenda! This isn't the first time I have seen him basically favour one side!

Obviously we won't be able to get umpires from division one to umpire division three home and away games, as they'll already be umpiring division one games. You tend to notice the umpires more when you're losing anyway. Win a few games and I don't think you will have this issue
Or maybe you will, as umpires are rotated throughout the divisions. So there's not really such a thing as just an exclusive Division 1 umpire

They are umpiring SFL Div 3...shittest level of football going around.

Having said that umpires at all levels AFL---->Juniors.... are starting to lose the plot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a very poor effort by the Hallam football club with only 2 players coming up for a beer after the game against Sth Yarra. We realize our ground is the worst in suburban football but there in no excuse not to support the home team(apparently the coach stormed off after they gave up a 4 goal half time lead to lose by 4 goals). All clubs need the opposition support at home games it was a p#ss poor performance on and off the ground by Hallam.

That is ordinary by Hallam , even if there is a function on that is no excuse to not sticking around for one drink ... It's funny some clubs are developing a reputation for this and it comes down to it being a team rule that unless a player/official has a decent excuse then they at least show their face because at the end of the day these things generally get reciprocated .

Spot on Big Brother. what comes around goes around!! It s only for half and hour or so, it's part of the culture of footy that we are seeing die...

I can remember growing up at the old man's footy... both sides, every bloke, and most of the supporters and even the netball team would stick around until stumps and get pissed.. what has changed??

Even in the more educated and socially correct society in which we live today where moderation is the key, surely 30 mins after the game sharing a beer or an energy drink with the opposition and umps not to speak of your fellow team mates is not much to ask.
Strong clubs would surely have a coach and Executive that would demand that from every player... sure occasionally a bloke or 2 need to get away but that would be absolutely the exception.

Cpl were pretty good when we played them earlier in the year heap of them hung around , but ur right it shouldn't matter who u play u should always show ur respect as the away team are the guests and have been accommodated by the home club, no matter what happens on the field the volunteers behind the scenes have nothing to do with that and with put them for both sides there would be no games of footy!

2 players is better than the 0 players from CPL that hung around at MW a few weeks back. Entire comp is shocking at it.

Get off your high horse. There was about 8-10 players, and 3-5 officials

I agree this wasn't great, it was far from zero. CPL people were in the social rooms whilst MW players were congragating around the outside bar. Gough came in and talked with all the players and bought a few drinks. As the home team i thought it would have been a little more hospitable of MW to actually make an effort to mingle,

Now that you have retired do you feel comfortable taking pot shots and trying to stir up crap Tigris?

I saw this on a vafa thread a few days ago and thought it might help put what your saying into perspective.

vafa premier a
vafa premier b efl div 1
vafa premier c efl div 2 sfl div 1
vafa division 1 efl div 3 sfl div 2
vafa division 2 efl div 4 sfl div 3

He made a point that maybe some teams in elf div4, sfl div 3, were quite a bit below a vafa div 2 standard, due to the fact its the bottom league and teams can't go any lower. But he said the best teams from those leagues could mix it in div 2 of the vafa.

Do you agree with this?
I saw a div 2 amos game a couple of weeks ago and all top 5 sfl div 3 sides would absolutely destroy them with body pressure and skills!

You must of missed the free kick given to BR when CPL were starting to gap them in the third, when the CPL player just about knocked the bladder out the ball in a marking contest that resulted in a goal?

BR had 3 goals from direct free kicks inside of 25m.

I wouldn't be crying too foul.

And your wrong anyway, that holding the ball call was with about 5 minutes to go, and I don't think BR got to within 3 points at anytime in the last. It also happened on center wing, hardly a game changing free kick from the goal square is it?
That free kick was on the arc, not with in 25 meters. Yes it was a good punch on the ball, but he almost took the players head off with the follow through and that's what the free was for. It was pretty even with bad calls.

Weekend tips...

Hallam vs ENDEAVOUR HILLS- 12 points
SANDOWN vs Carrum Paterson Lakes - 4 points
BLACK ROCK vs South Yarra - 48 points
Ashwood vs MOUNT WAVERLEY- 100+
Dandenong vs LYNDALE - 22 points

Remove this Banner Ad

SFL DIV3 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back