SFL DIV3 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet in my experience most lower level ammo's sides are VERY SOFT compared to any division of SFL, and would be bullied and pushed around like anyone's business.

It's easy to see free flowing footy as better footy, but I have no doubt if you put any of the mid range SFL div 3 sides in div 2, 3 or 4 of the ammo's, they would own their opposition without being dirty, but by being far harder with and without the pill than their opponents.

100% agree with this...
In the preseason we played Richmond central with a very undermanned side (I'm sure they weren't at full strength either), and whilst they moved the ball well, we completely destroyed them in contested footy. That game was one of the easiest games on the body that I have ever played, cause they simply did not put there bodies in... I think we won by about 9 goals and they played div 3 ammo finals in the previous year.

Having said that, there are 2 sides that we have played this year that play a similar bruise free / high skilled style of play...

100% agree with this...
In the preseason we played Richmond central with a very undermanned side (I'm sure they weren't at full strength either), and whilst they moved the ball well, we completely destroyed them in contested footy. That game was one of the easiest games on the body that I have ever played, cause they simply did not put there bodies in... I think we won by about 9 goals and they played div 3 ammo finals in the previous year.

Having said that, there are 2 sides that we have played this year that play a similar bruise free / high skilled style of play.

You can't say that without naming the clubs which i know you wont....silly statement.

You can't say that without naming the clubs which i know you wont....silly statement.

You know he is probably talking about Mt Waverley, the general conception is they are soft. But I dont think that's the case, they just play there best footy on the outside where they move it faster than anyone. When they have to crack in they will and they have a few hard nuts which do a lot of the grunt work on the inside but as soon as they get it clear, game over.

You can call it soft if you like but if the team I was coaching had that ability I wouldnt be too worried about contested footy, seems to be working for them.

Agree
You know he is probably talking about Mt Waverley, the general conception is they are soft. But I dont think that's the case, they just play there best footy on the outside where they move it faster than anyone. When they have to crack in they will and they have a few hard nuts which do a lot of the grunt work on the inside but as soon as they get it clear, game over.

I agree I think the better sides are often referred to as soft because they focus on the footy and moving the ball quickly .... A hard side is a side that hits it's kpi in tackles and contested ball which is what these so called soft sides often do.... The three to four top sides seem to also be the sides that actually play the footy and not the man from what I've seen .

You can call it soft if you like but if the team I was coaching had that ability I wouldnt be too worried about contested footy, seems to be working for them.

Wasn't actually talking about mount... Mount do play an outside running style, but justify it with players like cafiso & Dennis who aren't afraid to put there bodies in the contest.
Wilkin and Gough never deviate or flinch for a contested mark either.
I was more talking about a couple of teams who have recently dropped down from divy 2 if you must know...

Wasn't actually talking about mount... Mount do play an outside running style, but justify it with players like cafiso & Dennis who aren't afraid to put there bodies in the contest.
Wilkin and Gough never deviate or flinch for a contested mark either.
I was more talking about a couple of teams who have recently dropped down from divy 2 if you must know...

South Yarra & Black Rock ? I would rank them 1st & 2nd for hard at it... All South Yarra has going for it is contested footy, they have no skill what so ever.

South Yarra & Black Rock ? I would rank them 1st & 2nd for hard at it... All South Yarra has going for it is contested footy, they have no skill what so ever.
I can only gauge on the games I've been involved in... Against sth yarra, they moved the ball quite well, but were easily pushed off the ball.

I agree.

I think the standard line for a lot of people who don't see a range of divisions within different leagues, is to assume the SFL is far inferior to the ammo's. Apart from the top couple of divisions in the ammo's, this is not the case.

The top 2 divisions in the ammo's are awesome. Premier is the best non state league going around, and Prem B would be a better standard than almost every single metro div 1, possibly the EDFL Div 1 being the only exception (and MPNFL Peninsula although technically not a metro league, we all know that Frankston YCW, Chelsea, Edi/Asp etc are in the Melb metro area).

I've played MPNFL Premier division (when it still existed - was ranked the 7th best non state div in the country at the time), most of my years in SFL div 2 & 3 after a couple in div 1, played lower level ammo's in a couple of years back and currently play div 3 - I don't think there's much question that div 3 is a more difficult standard than lower level ammo's.

Whilst it's easy to look at ammo's and notice that it's more open and fast and slightly more skillful, it's common place for people to miss the fact that the defensive pressure is just rubbish.

Hardness at the footy and the ability to win the contested ball are somewhat important qualities to say the least. As is the ability to apply defensive pressure. In fact in terms of good sides that win flags, it's a non negotiable.

Yet in my experience most lower level ammo's sides are VERY SOFT compared to any division of SFL, and would be bullied and pushed around like anyone's business.

I'm not a hard man by any stretch (in fact i'm a pacifist if anything), yet during my year in the ammo's i was the hard man of my side and weekly had blokes putting both hands up saying "hey mate, take it easy" (no, i'm not joking - it happened a fair few times).

It's easy to see free flowing footy as better footy, but I have no doubt if you put any of the mid range SFL div 3 sides in div 2, 3 or 4 of the ammo's, they would own their opposition without being dirty, but by being far harder with and without the pill than their opponents.

I saw this on a vafa thread a few days ago and thought it might help put what your saying into perspective.

vafa premier a
vafa premier b efl div 1
vafa premier c efl div 2 sfl div 1
vafa division 1 efl div 3 sfl div 2
vafa division 2 efl div 4 sfl div 3

He made a point that maybe some teams in elf div4, sfl div 3, were quite a bit below a vafa div 2 standard, due to the fact its the bottom league and teams can't go any lower. But he said the best teams from those leagues could mix it in div 2 of the vafa.

Do you agree with this?

Thanks Jono, I reckon he is nearly on the money although the one thing that I would say is that there have been times when SFL Div 1 teams would be at least in top 6 of VAFA Premier b. I also think that teams like Vermont a few years ago and St Kilda City when money bags was around that both those teams would have been as good as the bottom 4 at least in Premier a.
I also think that if the ground is the slightest bit heavy the " less fancy" SFL teams would cause a few headaches for any VAFA teams..
Finally from what I saw on the week end the standard of Premier C ( Peninsula v Ormond - wet ground)) was inferior to CPL form. CPL would have both Peninsula and Orm covered well and truly on Saturdays form.

I would have said Black Rock were one of the harder teams as well

Ashwood would have been my guess. But as I don't see much, Couldn't gauge for sure

Agree ashwood def have a decent crack, but in my opinion the three top sides are still the best at winning contested ball which is what I deem hardness..... The fact these sides move the ball quickly is irrelevant as to win the game somebody needs to be giving the ball to the outside runners as well as putting up defensive pressure such as tackling.... Belting someone behind play is not hardness in a game of footy....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree ashwood def have a decent crack, but in my opinion the three top sides are still the best at winning contested ball which is what I deem hardness..... The fact these sides move the ball quickly is irrelevant as to win the game somebody needs to be giving the ball to the outside runners as well as putting up defensive pressure such as tackling.... Belting someone behind play is not hardness in a game of footy....

Agreed, if belting someone behind play meant hardness I'd rank Lyndale 1st.

Weekend tips..

Sandown - 8 points
Black Rock - 2 points
South Yarra - 14 points
Endeavour Hills - 10 points
Mount Waverley - 100+

100% agree with this...

Having said that, there are 2 sides that we have played this year that play a similar bruise free / high skilled style of play...

Daniel. Just to clarify - you do understand that 3rd division in the VAFA is actually 6th grade. Premier A, B, C then Div 1 – 4. On current positions RCFC are the 58th ranked club in VAFA. How good did you expect them to be?

Daniel. Just to clarify - you do understand that 3rd division in the VAFA is actually 6th grade. Premier A, B, C then Div 1 – 4. On current positions RCFC are the 58th ranked club in VAFA. How good did you expect them to be?

Champ. I didn't say anything about their skill etc, I just said they play bruise free footy. It's still a senior footy side... But it felt like we were playing against U19's...
I expected them to play like a senior side...

Big weekend of footy, almost like a finals preview.
2nd vs 3rd / 4th vs 5th & 1st basically have the week off "Dandenong"

Can anyone see Black Rock beating CPL??? I think they have a chance! And will Sandown continue there good form and give Lyndale back to back home game losses and there 3rd straight loss after being 6-1. Sandown have a massive opportunity to step up and take 3rd spot! Wouldn't of picked that a month ago..

Big weekend of footy, almost like a finals preview.
2nd vs 3rd / 4th vs 5th & 1st basically have the week off "Dandenong"

Can anyone see Black Rock beating CPL??? I think they have a chance! And will Sandown continue there good form and give Lyndale back to back home game losses and there 3rd straight loss after being 6-1. Sandown have a massive opportunity to step up and take 3rd spot! Wouldn't of picked that a month ago..

CPL wont lose at home. If Lyndale lose to Sandown I would just about write off Lyndales chances of taking 3rd spot. If they lose the only way they will take 3rd spot is if they beat either Black Rock, CPL or Mount in the 2nd half of the season...which probably wont happen if they cant beat Sandown on their own turf.

Sandown by 18pts
Hallam by 15pts
Mount by 80pts
CPL by 31pts
EH by 24pts

Should be a great game Lyndale v sandown, from what I've seen I'd say sandown prob have a little bit of a class edge. Cpl v BR... Should be a great game if its anything like round 1, very contrasting styles with CPL having bigger more experienced bodies while BR have the ability to move the ball quicker than any team in the compe so the big ground could suit the run they possess. The fact BR lost to Sandown last week possible points to them being that 3-4 goals off the two top sides in my opinion.

CPL wont lose at home. If Lyndale lose to Sandown I would just about write off Lyndales chances of taking 3rd spot. If they lose the only way they will take 3rd spot is if they beat either Black Rock, CPL or Mount in the 2nd half of the season...which probably wont happen if they cant beat Sandown on their own turf.

Sandown by 18pts
Hallam by 15pts
Mount by 80pts
CPL by 31pts
EH by 24pts

I wrote off Lyndale 2 weeks ago after they fell in against Hallam and Endeavour Hills, top sides should be beating them by 100+. They only managed a combined 24 points for both games, where as Mount Waverley for example managed
over 240 combined. Fair difference.

I think Black Rock could go well on CPL's ground, saying that though CPL should get the chockies.
The top 5 could look like this..

Mt Waverley - 10 - 0
CPL. - 9 - 1
Sandown. - 7 - 3
Black Rock. - 6 - 3
Lyndale. - 6 - 3

That loss to Sandown could really cost Black Rock but I think with there %, come round 18 they will be back up there.

Champ. I didn't say anything about their skill etc, I just said they play bruise free footy. It's still a senior footy side... But it felt like we were playing against U19's...
I expected them to play like a senior side...

Thanks ‘Champ’. We are taking about a practice game right?

Again I'm not sure how physical you would expect a pre-season match against a 6th division VAFA side to be. Maybe next year go all out and play a 5th division team;).

Pretty much the results everyone expected todday... Lyndale were in control against Sandown, kept them goalless in the first and had just the 1 to half time. with 3rd spot up for grabs that is a massive choke! Black Rock similar situation, lead the first half and let it slip.

Also good to see Hallams 2's doing well again..
HAHAHAHAHahahahahahahaahhHaHhHahahaa

Good to see some close results this weekend. I was lucky enough to watch CPL take on BR and it was a really good game to watch. I have watched CPL quite a few times this year and they just manage to be in front when it counts. Now if you look through my posts, I have never mentioned the umpiring standards however the umpiring today by one of the guys (lets say the younger one who has been in a good paddock) was nothing but appalling. I'm not saying he affected the outcome of the game, but he was so obviously bias to CPL it almost became funny. I have seen him umpire CPL a couple of times and when I now think back, opposition teams get nothing from him. Does he have any allegiance to CPL at all and if so he should not be allowed to umpire any more games that CPL are playing in. Anyhow it was a really good game to watch and look forward to mare games like this throughout the year!

Remove this Banner Ad

SFL DIV3 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back