SFNL Division 1 2024 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

There must have been a rethink, as some clubs were already told back in May that its 2 down at the conclusion of this season, with the intention of Narre coming in & now Berwick Springs voting to come across - rumoured to be into Div 3.

I can't see how it can work with fixturing without having a 2 down this season, for a competition that has a 10/10/8/8 divisional competition.

11 teams in 2025 will see a 20 week H/A fixture that has everyone playing each other twice
Add into fixturing:
• Round 1: April 5th (earliest possible start)
• Easter Saturday April 19
• Intended Interleague: May 10 (will have to be canned)
• King's birthday weekend
• Top 5 = 4 weeks of finals
• Grand final 20/21 September as AFL Grand final will be 27th September

Food for thought here

2 down in div 1 & 2 will see a 10/10/10/8 comp

12/10/8/8 next year - two up from D2, plus Narre, and one down.

D2 loses an extra club to D1, but gains Berwick Springs - still 10 clubs.

10/10/10/8 following year - three relegations from D1 and D2

Think that is fairest, everybody gets plenty of notice of what is coming.

12/10/8/8 next year - two up from D2, plus Narre, and one down.

D2 loses an extra club to D1, but gains Berwick Springs - still 10 clubs.

10/10/10/8 following year - three relegations from D1 and D2

Think that is fairest, everybody gets plenty of notice of what is coming.
3 relegations! that will give the divisions a shake up!

Let the bidding wars for players begin!

3 relegations! that will give the divisions a shake up!

Let the bidding wars for players begin!

It’d be 3 of 12 in D1, so it’s still only 10th and downwards.

It actually just happened in Eastern, except they elected to go two relegations and no promotion instead.

Not a fan of that system, you can get a situation like Boronia who walked the league last year and are doing so again this season.

I think the premiers should always go up.

Yuck.
Narre, Paki, Officer and Berwick. Hampton Park, Doveton and Cranbourne too.
Where to Next?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Lot more travel in the country (1hr max with these sides from most northern tip of the league). Only strengthens the comp and adds further depth. Let’s be honest Southern Bayside FL is never happening! Should be seen as a good thing these clubs see the SFNL as a destination league.

Lot more travel in the country (1hr max with these sides from most northern tip of the league). Only strengthens the comp and adds further depth. Let’s be honest Southern Bayside FL is never happening! Should be seen as a good thing these clubs see the SFNL as a destination league.
Not in my lifetime

Of course you’d be happy, don’t you live in Botanic Ridge?

Of course you’d be happy, don’t you live in Botanic Ridge?

Negative. Where I live shouldn’t matter in this discussion anyway. Not sure why that is relevant Peta? Southern League was on its knees around 2007 / 2008 (barely 3 divisions and quality was putrid) slowly got Dingley on board then Keysy and the rest started to follow. It’s in its best position for 30 odd years….back when Noble, Balwyn, EB, Sth Districts, Parkdale, Mt Waverley were all powerhouses….sadly only 1 of these teams remain. I like the idea of Southern Bayside but will never eventuate, so time to move on.

Negative. Where I live shouldn’t matter in this discussion anyway. Not sure why that is relevant Peta? Southern League was on its knees around 2007 / 2008 (barely 3 divisions and quality was putrid) slowly got Dingley on board then Keysy and the rest started to follow. It’s in its best position for 30 odd years….back when Noble, Balwyn, EB, Sth Districts, Parkdale, Mt Waverley were all powerhouses….sadly only 1 of these teams remain. I like the idea of Southern Bayside but will never eventuate, so time to move on.

Ironically I wonder if the influx of the remaining old south west gippy teams may actually be the catalyst for bayside fl? As the remaining ‘southern’ or ‘south east’ would still have strength and depth plus a bayside comp of say

Colts
Chelt
Hampton rovers
Beauy
St. Paul’s
Parkdale
Edi asp
Chelsea
East Brighton
Seaford

And say Div 2

Highett
Ormond
Bentleigh
Chelsea heights
Mordy
City
Black rock
CPL
Caulfield
Hampton hammers

While your south east would be

Cranny
Narre
Berwick
Beacy (potentially)
Springy district
Dingley
Beena
Doveton doves
Hampton park
Keysy

And sort out the rest!

Ironically I wonder if the influx of the remaining old south west gippy teams may actually be the catalyst for bayside fl? As the remaining ‘southern’ or ‘south east’ would still have strength and depth plus a bayside comp of say

Colts
Chelt
Hampton rovers
Beauy
St. Paul’s
Parkdale
Edi asp
Chelsea
East Brighton
Seaford

And say Div 2

Highett
Ormond
Bentleigh
Chelsea heights
Mordy
City
Black rock
CPL
Caulfield
Hampton hammers

While your south east would be

Cranny
Narre
Berwick
Beacy (potentially)
Springy district
Dingley
Beena
Doveton doves
Hampton park
Keysy

And sort out the rest!

Best model I’ve seen floated on face value

But will never eventuate. Do agree with a previous post that this is the strongest I’ve seen the competition for some time.

There must have been a rethink, as some clubs were already told back in May that its 2 down at the conclusion of this season, with the intention of Narre coming in & now Berwick Springs voting to come across - rumoured to be into Div 3.

I can't see how it can work with fixturing without having a 2 down this season, for a competition that has a 10/10/8/8 divisional competition.

11 teams in 2025 will see a 20 week H/A fixture that has everyone playing each other twice
Add into fixturing:
• Round 1: April 5th (earliest possible start)
• Easter Saturday April 19
• Intended Interleague: May 10 (will have to be canned)
• King's birthday weekend
• Top 5 = 4 weeks of finals
• Grand final 20/21 September as AFL Grand final will be 27th September

Food for thought here

2 down in div 1 & 2 will see a 10/10/10/8 comp

Final 4 and only 3 weeks of finals.

Final 5 is a waste of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Final 4 and only 3 weeks of finals.

Final 5 is a waste of time.
Kind of agree, but finals is where HQ make their income & rely on maximising finals attendance to keep the doors open.

Finals gates & clubs tendering for those games is how a league can stay viable & pay staff outside club affiliation fees.

I remember not so long ago the SFNL renting some upstairs office space corner block on Keys Rd which consisted of 4 staff in charge of the whole league. Now the league has expanded & sit in a pretty prime position office space which rent cannot be cheap.

With the loss of finals income in 2020 & 2021, final 5 is here to stay indefinitely for the 10 team comps & I don't think many are that opposed to it

Last edited:
Kind of agree, but finals is where HQ make their income & reply on maximising finals attendance to keep the doors open.

Finals gates & clubs tendering for those games is how a league can stay viable & pay staff outside club affiliation fees.

I remember not so long ago the SFNL renting some upstairs office space corner block on Keys Rd which consisted of 4 staff in charge of the whole league. Now the league has expanded & sit in a pretty prime position office space which rent cannot be cheap.

With the loss of finals income in 2020 & 2021, final 5 is here to stay indefinitely for the 10 team comps & I don't many are that opposed to it
Wasn’t that long ago (2019?) that highett won the Div 2 flag from 5th.
Port Colts made the Prelim from 5th last year too.

I enjoy it as it gives more games purpose towards the back end of the year as the best of the rest fight for the last spot.

Wasn’t that long ago (2019?) that highett won the Div 2 flag from 5th.
Port Colts made the Prelim from 5th last year too.

I enjoy it as it gives more games purpose towards the back end of the year as the best of the rest fight for the last spot.
Highett won from 3rd. 14-4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back