SFNL Division 3 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have zero issue with HP as the pts system is a joke anyway, surely the issue should be with HQ putting HP in Div 3 this year and Port Melb in Div 2 two years ago.. bunch of muppets

Have zero issue with HP as the pts system is a joke anyway, surely the issue should be with HQ putting HP in Div 3 this year and Port Melb in Div 2 two years ago.. bunch of muppets
The sfnl did the right thing,by putting HP in division 3...but like all clubs that go from a big pond into a very little pond...players come from everywhere too get an easy flag.

Agree, HP applied for div 2 but were told had to start in 3 because other clubs thought they'd earnt the right for to be in div before is which is fair enough imo.

Port Melbourne didn't come close to losing a game the other year.... Easy flags definitely exist.

If there was a market for that, they wouldve payed out halfway through preseason.

But port came in with the same side as they had in the WRFL , it was because they came from 1st division, players didn’t flock there in order to win an easy flag as you earlier suggested.if HP went into 2nd division we would have people on here pissed off that they were dropped to 3rd division, and they would be well within their rights .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

But port came in with the same side as they had in the WRFL , it was because they came from 1st division, players didn’t flock there in order to win an easy flag as you earlier suggested.if HP went into 2nd division we would have people on here pissed off that they were dropped to 3rd division, and they would be well within their rights .

Yeah I wasn't really talking about the player flocking as much as certain teams coming into a division rom a different league and being far too dominant and ruining an otherwise balanced table.

If HP went into 2nd division we would have people on here pissed off that they were dropped to 3rd division, and they would be well within their rights.
Div 2 had 11 teams in it last year. HP could have been slotted into a 12-team comp without dropping anyone. 12 teams isn't the ideal draw, but it's better than so many floggings.

Div 2 had 11 teams in it last year. HP could have been slotted into a 12-team comp without dropping anyone. 12 teams isn't the ideal draw, but it's better than so many floggings.

I think the results in 4th division on the weekend would suggest the league got that right, I’m not sure there is a perfect setup but that is the beauty of divisional football, it will generally work itself out .

Agree, HP applied for div 2 but were told had to start in 3 because other clubs thought they'd earnt the right for to be in div before is which is fair enough imo.
Think about it...if HP had the same team as last season...they wouldn't play finals in division 3..they have recruited very well...there probably a 10 too 15 goal better side than last year...maybe even 20 goals better...they will be in division 2 next year....they have had the guts kicked out of them for so long...let there supporters enjoy it.

They also said to the league that they were not going to go out and spend up big (so the league said to other clubs at the time). Had they flagged that they were going to be very active in recruiting the league may have taken a different path.

Anyway, good luck to them. End hills will try and push them this week and we will see how far in front of their flag rivals they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They also said to the league that they were not going to go out and spend up big (so the league said to other clubs at the time). Had they flagged that they were going to be very active in recruiting the league may have taken a different path.

Anyway, good luck to them. End hills will try and push them this week and we will see how far in front of their flag rivals they are.

the above post is one of the problems HP faces right now. they have come from a "semi professional" environment to an "amateur" environment. I don't mean that in a negative way by any means but it is obvious with the attitudes out there plus with what I saw and experienced during my time in division 2. I constantly read that HP have spent up big yet all they have done as far as i'm aware is spent what is allowed in the salary cap which is what happens in most leagues across the state. how is that spending big if within the salary cap?

the above post is one of the problems HP faces right now. they have come from a "semi professional" environment to an "amateur" environment. I don't mean that in a negative way by any means but it is obvious with the attitudes out there plus with what I saw and experienced during my time in division 2. I constantly read that HP have spent up big yet all they have done as far as i'm aware is spent what is allowed in the salary cap which is what happens in most leagues across the state. how is that spending big if within the salary cap?
The cap is irrelevant to this Comp. And your right,HP have simply brought the approach taken by sefnl clubs to recruitng into this Comp. It’s not what any of the existing clubs wanted.
Anyway that topic has been done to death.
They are in, they have bought a few guns and are paying a few spuds well overs as well.

Is the Comp better off?
Have HP opened the door to a spending culture not wanted in the sfl?
Time will tell.

Hopefully End Hills are competitive this week and breath life into the season.

Last edited:
The cap is irrelevant to this Comp. And your right,HP have simply brought the approach taken by sefnl clubs to recruitng into this Comp. It’s not what any of the existing clubs wanted.
They are in, they have bought a few guns and are paying a few spuds well overs as well.

Is the Comp better off?
Time will tell.

End/Hills not paying the Narre boys who came over ? Who would be the spuds getting paid overs at H/P ? And what would be overs ?

Is the Comp better off?
Time will tell.

Surely the comp is better off with stable well run clubs with good facilities coming in.

I wouldn't be conceding the flag yet either, springy impressed me as did ashwood , i would think from what i saw they could both make up the margins.

Surely the comp is better off with stable well run clubs with good facilities coming in.

I wouldn't be conceding the flag yet either, springy impressed me as did ashwood , i would think from what i saw they could both make up the margins.
The reputation of HP is not that they are stable and well run. You clearly have inside knowledge of the current set up though so I won’t dispute your opinion.
I wouldn’t say their facilities are better than average. That does put them ahead of half of div 3 clubs.

Having the luxury of a large supporter base and bank account because of their history isn’t a sign that they are well run. If anything it would help cover for poor management ( not saying that’s happening)
I’d say running clubs that don’t have the luxury of that background and building a good list and club from a much smaller foundation is a far more difficult task. Clubs like endeavour hills for example are well run ( and I have no link there).

Before this year you could win a flag in div 3 for 20k or even much less. The sooner they go up and restore balance to div 3 the better.

That said, HP are doing exactly what any club in their position would do. No point in not recruiting heavily if you have the means and want to go up quickly! The league should have read the signs better.

It would have been interesting to see them in div 2. HP vs Keysie, murrumbeena or even this years Doveton would be good to see.

We might not have to wait long.

Think about it...if HP had the same team as last season...they wouldn't play finals in division 3..they have recruited very well...there probably a 10 too 15 goal better side than last year...maybe even 20 goals better...they will be in division 2 next year....they have had the guts kicked out of them for so long...let there supporters enjoy it.

Oh we're enjoying it... we know what its like to be on the receiving end.. I've seen enough 30-40 goal floggings the last few years to last me a lifetime.

Oh we're enjoying it... we know what its like to be on the receiving end.. I've seen enough 30-40 goal floggings the last few years to last me a lifetime.

I know they tried hard to attract players so no slight on the club here but it’s a shame that HP was unable to lure some of these quality players across when they were getting belted in the SEFL. All well and good to jump on board now and rack up some easy kills but I’m sure the boys who stuck fat and copped hidings each week would have appreciated some help in those dark days. Suggests something of a flat track bully mentality and you must wonder if they will be around when they inevitably find themselves in Div. 1. I guess only time will tell.

On another note everyone this side of the Yarra knew that HP had accumulated something of a war chest and with good support and facilities were simply not suited to Div. 3. Not their fault and they can only compete in the grade they were placed in, but blind Freddy could see what was going to happen. They won’t lose a game and some other legitimate Div. 3 clubs will cop some fearful hidings along the way which defeats the whole purpose of divisional football.

I know they tried hard to attract players so no slight on the club here but it’s a shame that HP was unable to lure some of these quality players across when they were getting belted in the SEFL. All well and good to jump on board now and rack up some easy kills but I’m sure the boys who stuck fat and copped hidings each week would have appreciated some help in those dark days. Suggests something of a flat track bully mentality and you must wonder if they will be around when they inevitably find themselves in Div. 1. I guess only time will tell.

On another note everyone this side of the Yarra knew that HP had accumulated something of a war chest and with good support and facilities were simply not suited to Div. 3. Not their fault and they can only compete in the grade they were placed in, but blind Freddy could see what was going to happen. They won’t lose a game and some other legitimate Div. 3 clubs will cop some fearful hidings along the way which defeats the whole purpose of divisional football.
Moving to a diff comp has enabled the recruitment of players from sefnl, you cant get em to come over and play against their old clubs.
As for war chest, the club has had one bad financial year in the last 25 so they have always been stable financially.

Moving to a diff comp has enabled the recruitment of players from sefnl, you cant get em to come over and play against their old clubs.
As for war chest, the club has had one bad financial year in the last 25 so they have always been stable financially.

My comment about having a war chest was not meant in derogatory terms. It is well known that HP have been financially sound and that the inability to attract players was due to poor on-field results rather than not having the finances available.

Again not the fault of the club but with all that was known I think it is a farce they were placed in Div 3.

My comment about having a war chest was not meant in derogatory terms. It is well known that HP have been financially sound and that the inability to attract players was due to poor on-field results rather than not having the finances available.

Again not the fault of the club but with all that was known I think it is a farce they were placed in Div 3.

In defence of the league, they needed to make the call based on HPs recent win loss record, not based on who they may recruit, so in hindsight you could say wrong call , however I think at the time they made the right call , a fair bit of footy to be played yet .

In defence of the league, they needed to make the call based on HPs recent win loss record, not based on who they may recruit, so in hindsight you could say wrong call , however I think at the time they made the right call , a fair bit of footy to be played yet .

I tend to agree toey however I think the standard of league they came from should have also been considered. it would be easy to look at HP's results over the last few years and just assume they were crap. SEFNL footy is a very good standard especially at the top end so in hindsight maybe a move to div 2 would have been better suited.

also stalwart is right above when talking about this season's recruits. the better recruits have come from doveton doves and they would not have come over if HP was still in SEFNL...... we all know different leagues have different standards but to go from 130+ pt defeats to 160+ pt wins is a very dramatic swing......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back