SFNL Division 1 2024 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoke to one of the dads while doing the timekeeping earlier in the season. They only had 20 at the start of the year and were struggling for numbers which was the reason why they started in Div 2. They had younger players fill in during the year to make up numbers so that may make up the 30 qualified. There's some big bodies in U19's so it may be a bit daunting for some of the younger boys
Might have been able to get away with it in Div 2, sometimes the rules need to be a bit flexible to keep U19's going. The forfeit reflects more on the league than the club itself in my opinion
That's a pretty big cop out. Not everything is the league's fault, especially injuries to players. Fact over the matter is Cheltenham 19s in the first 4 weeks:
• drew with Heatherton (Div 2 grand finalist - ranked 1st)
• won by 129 points v Ashwood (finished 5th)
• won by 42 points v Lyndhurst (prelim finalist - ranked 2nd)
• won by 96 points v CPL (prelim finalist - ranked 3rd)

Quite rightly they were elevated to Division 1, where they won a further 4 games! A trip down memory lane will tell you that Murrumbeena won the U/19s grand final in 2013 with 18 players only, so sometimes less is more.

Maybe Cheltenham should put more resources into the U/19s program & links with junior clubs in the area, rather than their seniors playing at 46 points every week

That's a pretty big cop out. Not everything is the league's fault, especially injuries to players. Fact over the matter is Cheltenham 19s in the first 4 weeks:

Quite rightly they were elevated to Division 1, where they won a further 4 games! A trip down memory lane will tell you that Murrumbeena won the U/19s grand final in 2013 with 18 players only, so sometimes less is more.

Maybe Cheltenham should put more resources into the U/19s program & links with junior clubs in the area, rather than their seniors playing at 46 points every week

How is it a cop out?

Won the first 4 games with a healthy list, then won 4 from 14 in div 1 finishing 5th with a top 5 of 8 and finished in the finals with a lack of players due to injury? Heatherton did the same demolition on those sides, which is basically the luck of the draw first four rounds. The grading system is outdated and nonsensical but that is footy admin to a "tee"

Brilliant effort by Murrumbeena in 2013, bit of luck and management to keep the list healthy, obviously a talented list in a single division system giving a more balanced view of final position.

Cheltenham tried to field a side but couldn't for the finals for obviously having a lack of fit players and the SFNL have every right to say bad luck, but as a football person, I feel it is a detriment to the game when Under 19's must be the hardest team to fill for most clubs.

As to what they do in the seniors, that's their prerogative and if it's within the rules of the league to bring players in to strengthen what you have, good luck to them. If you don't like the fact clubs bring players in and financially reward players, maybe you should pay more attention to the amateur league where they don't pay anyone :rolleyes:

Do you know the work they put into the 19’s to put together in a side each year in a region dominated by the 2 amateur clubs in Beaumaris and Stbedes.

They had these sessions for the 19’s players this year where they had Dylan Shiels, Rowan Marshall Alex Woodward and Billy Gowers take training and talk to the group.

How many clubs have done that?

By having developed young players over the years and pushing many to vfl allows those players to be 1 pointers and now being able to bring in “top end talent “ who wanted to go to their club.

Moran , mccomb , Lai , Lai are just some young kids they have played over the years and developed them .
Young players that are worth watching .

There are many clubs who would love to have Cheltenham’s young talent and attracting , developing and retaining is not easy these days .

Look at EB , Mordialloc and East Malvern and the juniors there , yet still no 19’s.

Not a criticism of them and I am sure they have put work in to try and make it happen , but it is very hard to get kids these days .

We all know the league has challenges with the 19’s and even the VAFA has divisions within each division.

My interest is I follow Cheltenham in recent years as my son used to play there and I know a couple of players, so above might not be 100% correct but I am sure is fairly accurate.

Been to a couple of games this season and as a local football follower the standard of the seniors is very good for that level .

Watched some 19’s and not great but to be fair neither has been some of the VAFA 19’s.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bit of a chicken and the egg really. No aligned juniors so they need to recruit from elsewhere. Recent seasons suggests they have done that well. As I am sure you know the Panthers are a different club that play at a different ground and are even in a different council area. Traditionally juniors moving into seniors have joined their school affiliate, primarily St Bedes, or other suburban clubs in the area, primarily Beaumaris. No shortage of options in the Kingston/Bayside area for clubs. I know Cheltenham have tried very hard over the years to form some sort of alliance with the Panthers with varying success. At least give them credit for having an U19s team. Only 5 of the 10 Division 1 clubs entered U19s this year and that’s another story altogether.

On another note – a final 5 in an 8-team comp is ridiculous anyway.

Do you know the work they put into the 19’s to put together in a side each year in a region dominated by the 2 amateur clubs in Beaumaris and Stbedes.

They had these sessions for the 19’s players this year where they had Dylan Shiels, Rowan Marshall Alex Woodward and Billy Gowers take training and talk to the group.

How many clubs have done that?

By having developed young players over the years and pushing many to vfl allows those players to be 1 pointers and now being able to bring in “top end talent “ who wanted to go to their club.

Moran , mccomb , Lai , Lai are just some young kids they have played over the years and developed them .
Young players that are worth watching .

There are many clubs who would love to have Cheltenham’s young talent and attracting , developing and retaining is not easy these days .

Look at EB , Mordialloc and East Malvern and the juniors there , yet still no 19’s.

Not a criticism of them and I am sure they have put work in to try and make it happen , but it is very hard to get kids these days .

We all know the league has challenges with the 19’s and even the VAFA has divisions within each division.

My interest is I follow Cheltenham in recent years as my son used to play there and I know a couple of players, so above might not be 100% correct but I am sure is fairly accurate.

Been to a couple of games this season and as a local football follower the standard of the seniors is very good for that level .

Watched some 19’s and not great but to be fair neither has been some of the VAFA 19’s.

East Malvern will never get an Unders team. No relationship with the existing junior club.

Majority of those kids that play for the knights (if they do continue to play football) end up at Old Xavs, St Kevins, De La or Old Scotch.

I applaud any club that tries to grow from within and create a feeder system, GL to Chelt and their on-going pursuit of this.

East Malvern will never get an Unders team. No relationship with the existing junior club.

Majority of those kids that play for the knights (if they do continue to play football) end up at Old Xavs, St Kevins, De La or Old Scotch.

I applaud any club that tries to grow from within and create a feeder system, GL to Chelt and their on-going pursuit of this.
You would probably be talking about Dingley here, Seniors play at 27 - 29 player points and finish 3rd, Reserves top of the ladder and a strong Under 19's. Credit to the club on their long term thinking!

You would probably be talking about Dingley here, Seniors play at 27 - 29 player points and finish 3rd, Reserves top of the ladder and a strong Under 19's. Credit to the club on their long term thinking!

Chelt 19s finished 2nd last year things can happen good chance they bounce back

Cheltenham Panthers Juniors spread their wings a bit after their junior days are over….some head to the Rosellas, others to St Bedes, Beauy had their foot in the door at one stage and now Heatherton have attempted to align themselves with the junior club.
Chelt Rosellas have worked hard to align themselves with Chelt Panthers ever since Des Ryan started coaching there and plenty of Juniors have come across, Beaumaris have more than enough of their own juniors to worry about having been involved there , same as St Bedes especially with their School system, no idea about Heatherton

No existing relationship at East Malvern between seniors and juniors? How do you know that. I think your backing the horse called self interest around one of ammo clubs you mention.

Dingley unlucky yesterday. I thought they were better on the day .

Crowd was average and the ground lacks atmosphere.
They need to go back to a proper suburban ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure that’s the point GY was raising.

My point was that I can't see East Malvern ever having an U/19 team. No relationship has ever existed (attempts have been made over the years) and the exodus of players to the VAFA clubs named was happening before they were all in the top grades and achieving the success they currently do.

The VAFA clubs mentioned do have a strong influence amongst the junior club.

It was only 12 months ago 5K packed out RSEA for the Grand Final which was lauded for it's incredible atmosphere....
Double chance games never have the same gusto or feel as elimination or GF's I think

Did think the same walking the outer yesterday trying to gauge the best spot to watch and enjoy. I mentioned this in an earlier post in the year yet some jumped down the throat and mentioned the grand final … yes of course GF is good but for the other 5 games the atmosphere and joint is useless. Ben Kavanagh Reserve for mine should be division 1 host.

Onto the game , Dingley the better side most of the day and would be confident if they can get over st.pauls next week. Thought Chelt looked quite lethargic yesterday but still good enough to get across the line, dingley played superbly.

Side note - good to see some finals passion in the game yesterday but the overflow after the game yesterday in the crowd … how embarrassing for the Dingley parents acting like that. Please this is senior football not u15s, leave the stoushes to the players on field and not carry on off field.

Did think the same walking the outer yesterday trying to gauge the best spot to watch and enjoy. I mentioned this in an earlier post in the year yet some jumped down the throat and mentioned the grand final … yes of course GF is good but for the other 5 games the atmosphere and joint is useless. Ben Kavanagh Reserve for mine should be division 1 host.

Onto the game , Dingley the better side most of the day and would be confident if they can get over st.pauls next week. Thought Chelt looked quite lethargic yesterday but still good enough to get across the line, dingley played superbly.

Side note - good to see some finals passion in the game yesterday but the overflow after the game yesterday in the crowd … how embarrassing for the Dingley parents acting like that. Please this is senior football not u15s, leave the stoushes to the players on field and not carry on off field.

Can you expand on your side note ??
Was there issues in the crowd after ??

Stoushes becoming more consistent across all divisions. You can normally work out the regular culprits / clubs etc. SFNL not doing too much about it though ? This weeks game should be a ripper, lets hope everyone gets through it without getting involved in verbal and physical stuff.

I've seen enough games at RSEA now to form an opinion. I don't like it, lacks atmosphere and the games are painfully low scoring. Take it back to the clubs.
to make a change, you have to have an alternative solution. Send Div 1 back to Springvale?

Weather was ordinary which would have kept many away & most would've sat under the grandstand rather than spread out around the ground

Remove this Banner Ad

SFNL Division 1 2024 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back