Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, good luck with that one.

I’m just commenting on what is being shared by the media and that is 9 and 16 are forming the base of our expectation. Have you not read or listened at all? Doesn’t mean it will be accepted.
Outlandish, isn't it?

All I've seen is one media pundit assume that 9 & 16 was Freo's starting point but that the Tigers would be aiming for 9 & 10. Possibly the same bloke that said 9-10-16 would form the offer for Bolton and Baker, his assumption was that 10 would be the Baker component.

I have no idea of how the trade will pan out, what I'm confident about is that Hartley will want overs in what is compared to a fair trade.

Wouldn’t have thought Bolton would even want to go to Freo if they don’t think he’s worth enough to give up a couple of mid first round picks for him.

When you consider Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako, Battle and Perryman, that pick 16 automatically becomes pick 21 which pretty certainly not going to satisfy Tigers value.

It will be picks 10&11 or Freo can bring in a couple of 18 year olds and probably lose Brayshaw in 12 months and the chance of a flag.

COMPO COMPLICATIONS FOR DEALS

GEELONG'S chase for Bailey Smith and Fremantle's pursuit of Shai Bolton are among a host of deals that could be complicated by the suite of compensation picks dished out by the AFL on Friday.

St Kilda and Greater Western Sydney both received 'Band One' compensation following free agency deals for Josh Battle and Harry Perryman, respectively, leading to a series of picks inside the draft's first round being pushed out.

The Cats' No.15 pick had loomed as a pivotal piece in trade talks with the Western Bulldogs over Smith's future, though that selection has since ballooned out to No.17 after the Saints and the Giants each snagged additional first-round compensation picks.

The Dockers had also been looking to use a combination of their first-round selections in trade talks with the Tigers for Bolton, but saw those picks move from No.9, 10 and 16 to No.10, 11 and 18 following Friday's deals.

David Walls appears quite happy to have a take it or leave it approach with Bolton, content to walk to the draft with our picks if Richmond would prefer to keep Bolton.

I think that's probably a good position for all parties involved, except Bolton.
I think the main takeaway from that article is it's all going along pretty amicably though. No one being silly...yet

David Walls appears quite happy to have a take it or leave it approach with Bolton, content to walk to the draft with our picks if Richmond would prefer to keep Bolton.

I think that's probably a good position for all parties involved, except Bolton.
Fremantle list boss David Walls says they won’t overpay to bring Richmond star Shai Bolton but conceded two first-round picks was a fair asking price for the dual premiership star.
The Dockers are set to be one of the biggest players in this year’s trade period when it opens on Monday because of their strong draft hand which includes picks No.10, No.11 and No.18.
Bolton has requested a trade back to WA with Fremantle in best position to get the South Fremantle product home despite his four years still to run on his contract at the Tigers.
Walls said they had begun conversations around bringing Bolton home and conceded they had to give up two picks to land the top-end talent.
“We’ve caught up a few times and we’ve talked so it’s step-by-step … they’ve got a fair idea where we sit with it all. And Shai’s pretty keen to come, it’s just being able to work it out with Richmond,”
“It’s expensive but he’s got four years to run on his contract and he’s a top-end player. He was leading their best and fairest at round 16 this year, he’s always finished in the top five.
“When you look historically that lines up. There are first-rounders and then there’s first rounders as well. If you’re talking the top 10 or around that mark or if you’re talking pick 16 through to 18 or 19 there’s a bit of a difference with that. But it wouldn’t be too far off the mark.”

Fremantle list boss David Walls says they won’t overpay to bring Richmond star Shai Bolton but conceded two first-round picks was a fair asking price for the dual premiership star.
The Dockers are set to be one of the biggest players in this year’s trade period when it opens on Monday because of their strong draft hand which includes picks No.10, No.11 and No.18.
Bolton has requested a trade back to WA with Fremantle in best position to get the South Fremantle product home despite his four years still to run on his contract at the Tigers.
Walls said they had begun conversations around bringing Bolton home and conceded they had to give up two picks to land the top-end talent.
“We’ve caught up a few times and we’ve talked so it’s step-by-step … they’ve got a fair idea where we sit with it all. And Shai’s pretty keen to come, it’s just being able to work it out with Richmond,”
“It’s expensive but he’s got four years to run on his contract and he’s a top-end player. He was leading their best and fairest at round 16 this year, he’s always finished in the top five.
“When you look historically that lines up. There are first-rounders and then there’s first rounders as well. If you’re talking the top 10 or around that mark or if you’re talking pick 16 through to 18 or 19 there’s a bit of a difference with that. But it wouldn’t be too far off the mark.”
Dockers fans: Haha see, we'll walk way at 10 and 11
Richmond fans: Haha see, he admits it will be expensive and late firsts dont count

Everyone make sure you apply your bias on interpreting list manager doublespeak

Dockers fans: Haha see, we'll walk way at 10 and 11
Richmond fans: Haha see, he admits it will expensive and late firsts dont count

Everyone make sure you apply your bias on interpreting list manager doublespeak
Reads like he didn't want to give up 2 x top 10s but 10 & 11 would be fine

secret smell GIF

I don't see the world where, on either side, the gap btwn 11 and 18 puts the deal at an impasse and it doesn't get done. If both sides agree that 2 firsts is the basis of the trade and that's the main point of contention, it gets done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Fremantle are prepared to give up their 10,11 and I think 16-18 + 10 or whatever was a starting point. they know him having 4 years what it was going to take.

I don't see the world where, on either side, the gap btwn 11 and 18 puts the deal at an impasse and it doesn't get done. If both sides agree that 2 firsts is the basis of the trade and that's the main point of contention, it gets done.
It’ll just be the salary component & maybe a late pick involved. Who ever caves on the higher or lower of the two firsts will get some cream back.

Last edited:
I think Fremantle are prepared to give up their 10,11 and I think 16-18 + 10 or whatever was a starting point. they know him having 4 years what it was going to take.

I think Richmond are hungry to buy Fremantle's first round picks and are pleased to push Bolton onto the table to get them.

The end result might just dictate who wanted each component more - it sure looks like Freo are happy to spend the picks at the draft instead.

I'm expecting Freo to make the same offer to Melbourne for Pickett before the end of the draft period. Freo effectively have two picks around #10 and two later firsts, including that F1 pick.

My opinion is it will end up 10&11 with a pick going back around 22,23.
If the Tigers get pick 14 from WC for Baker & 6,22 for Rioli
Then pick swaps with the Lions for pick 20
The Tigers would have 1,6,10,11,14,20 in the 1st round then picks 22&23 not including Graham Compo pick

Wouldn’t have thought Bolton would even want to go to Freo if they don’t think he’s worth enough to give up a couple of mid first round picks for him.

When you consider Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako, Battle and Perryman, that pick 16 automatically becomes pick 21 which pretty certainly not going to satisfy Tigers value.

It will be picks 10&11 or Freo can bring in a couple of 18 year olds and probably lose Brayshaw in 12 months and the chance of a flag.
If you honestly think that Bolton will be at all concerned about the negotiations between Richmond and Fremantle as to what it will take to secure his services I think you misjudge him.

He will only be concerned that his contract is honoured/paid - the rest of the discussions are above his pay grade or care factor.

If you also continue to count draftees that are always going to be matched by their Academy clubs such as Ashcroft and Kako and Lombard as affecting the value of picks you're not really on the ball. Battle and Perryman yes. So our picks move a couple of spaces. Still a deep draft. You're still going to get excellent options with most of the draft class quality still available at our 10 and 18.

On another note would you accept 10 and our F1? That way you can bring in extra talent over two years and build a foundation

If you honestly think that Bolton will be at all concerned about the negotiations between Richmond and Fremantle as to what it will take to secure his services I think you misjudge him.

He will only be concerned that his contract is honoured/paid - the rest of the discussions are above his pay grade or care factor.

If you also continue to count draftees that are always going to be matched by their Academy clubs such as Ashcroft and Kako and Lombard as affecting the value of picks you're not really on the ball. Battle and Perryman yes. So our picks move a couple of spaces. Still a deep draft. You're still going to get excellent options with most of the draft class quality still available at our 10 and 18.

On another note would you accept 9 and our F1? That way you can bring in extra talent over two years and build a foundation

No to the F1, with the rort that is the AFL and your increased likelihood of going deep in finals, I’ll pass on a potential pick 25 in a weaker draft.

Absolute best offer I would give you is pick 10, 11 and 30 for Bolton and pick 23 (assuming we get it from GC) - no salary contribution. Apparently you could apply for an exemption for the two firsts in 4 years due to Luke Jackson trade (another bogus AFL rule) but this would make it a certainty you’ve met it allowing you to trade 2025 and 2026 firsts for Warner.

No to the F1, with the rort that is the AFL and your increased likelihood of going deep in finals, I’ll pass on a potential pick 25 in a weaker draft.

Absolute best offer I would give you is pick 10, 11 and 30 for Bolton and pick 23 (assuming we get it from GC) - no salary contribution. Apparently you could apply for an exemption for the two firsts in 4 years due to Luke Jackson trade (another bogus AFL rule) but this would make it a certainty you’ve met it allowing you to trade 2025 and 2026 firsts for Warner.
Think that's a bit spensy docker911

Bolton's family is already back here in WA from what I understand. #10 and #18 will be enough, and Richmond will pay a chunk of his salary, walking out with a smile that they managed to get great value for a guy who was about to put in the most phoned in season of football they've seen since that Richmond player eating a cheeseburger at the break mid game.

Maybe not so good for your coach who is out of contract next year and probably needs to win a final ? Not sure what his pass mark is for 2025

Maybe not so good for your coach who is out of contract next year and probably needs to win a final ? Not sure what his pass mark is for 2025

Our small forwards are so absent that a small forward drafted at pick #11 will probably be our best small forward, not as good as Bolton, but good enough to push us that one extra goal to a goal and a half a game that would have seen us finish top four this year.

Not even close to good as Bolton, never going to rotate through the middle in 2025 but if it's a matter of picking him and his mate one pick after the other around #11/#12 then another at #16 I think we have that position covered enough.

But if Richmond would rather cash in now on Bolton before he is traded home next year with the serious personal reasons discount attached then our best and last first round pick, #10 and #18 is fair to me.

Again, I think Richmond will walk out of that deal paying $400,000 a year for four years, smiling with their #10 and #18 in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back