Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still on the train its done week 1. It has a completely different narrative to the other trades. Bolton and his manager seem to have done right by Richmond bringing it up real early in the year (cough Neale cough) knowing the hand Freo have.

And honestly, despite the angst, pretty much both sides in here are mostly on the same page, even despite the compo pushback. The top two picks with a decent amount back or the other package with basically nothing (or even a sweetener at this stage).

I'd really really like to take 11 to the draft at this stage but I'm pretty fine either way.

This is the part I think is being understated in the deal. There would've been a lot of discussions early in the year, the Freo sales pitch would also include that they have a draft hand to be able to get the deal done.

It's quite rare that after speaking to a player and their agent all year, that the club lets that deal fall over (moreso in a difference of 6 picks).

the leverage is rightly with Richmond given he's got 4 years at over $1m/year remaining on the contract and freo have been in his ear most of the year.

10&11 is the crux of the deal and it will be done

This is the part I think is being understated in the deal. There would've been a lot of discussions early in the year, the Freo sales pitch would also include that they have a draft hand to be able to get the deal done.

It's quite rare that after speaking to a player and their agent all year, that the club lets that deal fall over (moreso in a difference of 6 picks).

the leverage is rightly with Richmond given he's got 4 years at over $1m/year remaining on the contract and freo have been in his ear most of the year.

10&11 is the crux of the deal and it will be done
I disagree on who reached out to who but I do agree our hand played a large part of it.

Richmond definitely have the leverage here, it's well known how performance of AFL players maintains and improves when their family has moved to the other side of the country. It never leads to "mental health issue" long stints back with the family during the season and then the following offseason the trade value is even higher.

Richmond definitely have the leverage here, it's well known how performance of AFL players maintains and improves when their family has moved to the other side of the country. It never leads to "mental health issue" long stints back with the family during the season and then the following offseason the trade value is even higher.

Bolton has said if a deal can't get done he'll return to the club... not sure why you think him and his family have just walked out and are in WA forever. Pretty sure he's spent offseason there every year for the past 8 years

Bolton for Darcy
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Bolton has said if a deal can't get done he'll return to the club... not sure why you think him and his family have just walked out and are in WA forever. Pretty sure he's spent offseason there every year for the past 8 years

Not much else he can say.

Can’t say ‘If a deal isn’t done I’m going to quit football’

He's been mentioned in here but I think there is a decent chance Knobel is involved. Just odd absolutely no mention of him by Freo or west media and he's out of contract and makes sense from a Tigers perspective

Why does it make sense? The Tigers want draft picks not players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think 10 & 11 is honestly a fair deal for Bolton & I personally think we are probably losing the trade slightly, I would prefer at least one of the picks to be inside the Top 10.

It's wishful thinking that we going to draft someone as good as Shai Bolton with those picks sure you can get lucky, but my only hope is that the two players that are decent enough as a combination that match up to Shai.

We might get someone better at pick 1, but they will have a completely different skill-set to Bolton.

He's been mentioned in here but I think there is a decent chance Knobel is involved. Just odd absolutely no mention of him by Freo or west media and he's out of contract and makes sense from a Tigers perspective

I'd be interested but issue is we already have Samson Ryan and the club stupidly extended that potato for 3 years.

Why does it make sense? The Tigers want draft picks not players
Do you even know who Knobel is?

Knobel was drafted 2 years ago and has played very well in the WAFL in his limited opportunity to be the #1 ruck, hes 20 this year. Hes the ideal type of player you should be targeting.
Id love it if he could somehow end up at the Eagles

It just seems wild for us to lose Knobel, who do the Tigers have developing in the VFL as a ruck? Colina?

I think Ryan is more of a forward
Ryan is a spud, nothing more

I don’t think Knobel adds much value though even if he’s rated internally. 3rd choice rucks aren’t going for anything more than a 3rd rounder at best (So pick in the 40s/50s)

With battle comp and obviously an Ashcroft bid, 9 will be 11 at least. Deal probably has to be freo’s first two picks if it’s to happen
Ashcroft was never available to Richmond, and Battle chose Hawthorn, so the players available to Richmond hasn't changed.
How do people not get this?

That was when it looked like Pies, Port and Freo all looked like top 4 contenders to be fair. Not pick 10 and 11
I understand your point, but why would Freo care about what quality picks they are giving up, when they are essentially turning the Lachie Schultz trade + where they finished into Shai Bolton... especially since you have already said this isn't a strong draft about wanting more than pick 13 for Tom Barrass from Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back