Traded Shane McAdam [Traded to Melbourne for F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide aren’t sending McAdam to the PSD. Let’s face it this only generally has happened with players like Stevens and Martin. Players who held some extra value. McAdam is being overrated here. He’ll be 29 next year and seems we’re expecting he gets a lot better??
He’ll fit well in our forward line but wouldn’t expect he nets more than a late second.
Pretty sure 99% of crows fans are saying it’ll be 32 or your f2.

Very different when Adelaide had the first pick in the PSD and were a certainty to get Hately regardless. If McAdam went into PSD he wouldn’t be getting to Melbourne.
I think he would still get to Melbourne, just like Martin got to Carlton in the PSD despite having a late pick.

But I also wouldn't want to take the gamble if I was Melbourne.

Whatever the pick, it was rltoo much!
I don't agree. I think he had shown more than pick 40 at the time. But obviously in hindsight it has not been successful.

It is a good lesson about not overpaying though. One all clubs should learn.

I don't agree. I think he had shown more than pick 40 at the time. But obviously in hindsight it has not been successful.

It is a good lesson about not overpaying though. One all clubs should learn.
He wasn't in their best side nor ours!

McAdam is in our best side.

Hardly comparable situation!

He wasn't in their best side nor ours!

McAdam is in our best side.

Hardly comparable situation!
Also far younger and with less of an injury history. Different positions and different history as juniors. Not comparable in any sense other than to say both are players you wouldn't want to overpay for.

From my perspective anyhow.

Melbourne might be desperate though. Their window gets much tighter when may and gawn go.

I think he would still get to Melbourne, just like Martin got to Carlton in the PSD despite having a late pick.

But I also wouldn't want to take the gamble if I was Melbourne.
carlton had a “later pick” did they?..

pick 3 seems very early for what you‘re claiming is a “late pick”..

the Blues also had to structure his contract, which saw him get close to $1m in his first year, just to ward of any rivals (potentially the Dees at pick 2 who enquired about him).

do ya reckon west coast or Clarko and North.. two teams that have holes that need filling all over their lists and shitloads of cap space.. would pass up the opportunity for a player like McAdam at no cost?…

do ya reckon west coast or Clarko and North.. two teams that have holes that need filling all over their lists and shitloads of cap space.. would pass up the opportunity for a player like McAdam at no cost?…
i think most clubs aren't interested in a fringe player who wants to go somewhere else, but in this case North might actually take a look.

I think he gets to Melbourne as by far the most likely option, but I wouldn't be shocked if NM (or someone else, maybe even my club?) pounces.

The PSD is so rare our sample size is small, but I am struggling to remember anyone who didn't get where they wanted, including bigger names than mcadam.

(And yes, in answer to your question, 3 comes after 1)

i think most clubs aren't interested in a fringe player who wants to go somewhere else, but in this case North might actually take a look.

I think he gets to Melbourne as by far the most likely option, but I wouldn't be shocked if NM (or someone else, maybe even my club?) pounces.

The PSD is so rare our sample size is small, but I am struggling to remember anyone who didn't get where they wanted, including bigger names than mcadam.

(And yes, in answer to your question, 3 comes after 1)
At some level you'd actually think if it really came down to it, nominating for the ND would be a more likely pathway.

But this is all BS anyway.

They'll get a deal done. We'll probably have to wait until all the clubs have finished trading picks to see what it's going to look like though

At some level you'd actually think if it really came down to it, nominating for the ND would be a more likely pathway.

But this is all BS anyway.

They'll get a deal done. We'll probably have to wait until all the clubs have finished trading picks to see what it's going to look like though
Absolutely. Although I did think the same thing about Martin and Hately.

Surely a deal just gets done, maybe with multiple picks back and forth to obscure the value.

Absolutely. Although I did think the same thing about Martin and Hately.

Surely a deal just gets done, maybe with multiple picks back and forth to obscure the value.
Yes.

PSD was a no brainer for Hately considering Adelaide had the first pick in the PSD. Carlton front ended Martin's contract so heavily and had pick 5 in the PSD I doubt anyone else would've been prepared to take on the contract. And I think Carlton finished up taking him with the first pick in the PSD anyway (assume the clubs below them all passed).

I doubt anything will get done with McAdam prior to any deals over GC pick and other pick trades connected to that, and the end of the FA period.

So it'll probably drag out to the last couple of days of the trade period if the reports that Adelaide and Melbourne are among the small handful of clubs trying to get a pick/s further up the draft order or additional 1st round picks through the bundling of later picks

Edit: I'd guess Melbourne will also be sweating off on what they can get for Grundy via trade and Adelaide what sort of compensation for Doedee via FA as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not worth the gamble for pick 34..just pay it to take away that pathway
That feels like massive overs to me for an older player who hasn't been able to consistently get on the park. I can see Melbourne just paying it to make the problem go away (it is what my club would do for sure) or draw a line in the sand and really force the issue (which is what your club would do in the same situation).

That feels like massive overs to me for an older player who hasn't been able to consistently get on the park. I can see Melbourne just paying it to make the problem go away (it is what my club would do for sure) or draw a line in the sand and really force the issue (which is what your club would do in the same situation).
Oh if it does not involve a pick in that order or maybe even better, i hope my club draws a line in the sand and says try your luck getting to melbourne in the psd as a later pick has no value to us in this draft so we are not losing anything of real value

Oh if it does not involve a pick in that order or maybe even better, i hope my club draws a line in the sand and says try your luck getting to melbourne in the psd as a later pick has no value to us in this draft so we are not losing anything of real value
Adelaide would certainly deserve it after the way they have threatened other clubs.

Adelaide would certainly deserve it after the way they have threatened other clubs.
Deserve?..you are misreading it. We supporters are not expecting the earth for him and i am thinking most are fine if melbourne play stupid here tgey can run the risk 12 other clubs don't take a chance on a free hit in the psd on him

Sydney and GWS. The Dawson trade in particular.
The club didn't threaten GWS with anything.

Adelaide made an offer and GWS chose to walk away. An offer that in hindsight was generous, for a player who managed to play less than 30 games in 5 years after he was drafted (and no major injuries). And around 15 games in 3 years for a club that been in the bottom half of the ladder the entire time.

And has now been delisted.

Blind Freddie could see the PSD was there to be used.

It's not Adelaide's fault GWS felt they deserved more for. player they spent pick 14 on.

What did the club threaten Sydney with?

The club made an offer and stood their ground.

Correct. The Crows take it or we'll just use the PSD attitude likely hasn't endeared them to many other clubs. Now when the shoe is on the other foot and they have had a player's head turned by a rival, they just expect that other club to pay overs. Seems a tad hypocritical to me.

What the hell?

Adelaide tried to trade with GWS, even though they didn't need to. We were literally just giving another club a VERY decent pick, even though we had no need to do so.

Sydney? We got them a first round pick for Dawson, and had to go to a lot of trouble to do it. He was a late pick who had spent a while in the twos and had really started to improve - but he wasn't the player he is now. A first round pick for an uncontracted player is decent.

Meanwhile - we give up a top five pick for an uncontracted small forward at the first possible moment last year, and give up the world to Carlton for an aging mid.

Adelaide plays very fair and is very reasonable.

Correct. The Crows take it or we'll just use the PSD attitude likely hasn't endeared them to many other clubs. Now when the shoe is on the other foot and they have had a player's head turned by a rival, they just expect that other club to pay overs. Seems a tad hypocritical to me.
I just don’t see how a late second for a forward who is wanted by the crows and has averaged 1.6 goals a game over the last 3 seasons is overs. Especially when you factor in that Melbourne are desperate for immediate goal scoring option and they don’t have many alternatives available on the market. Maybe Melb get a f4 back but I can’t see why we’d accept a deal without one of your late seconds.

How did the Crows use the PSD on Sydney?

Completely ridiculous. Adelaide went out of their way to source a first round pick for Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Shane McAdam [Traded to Melbourne for F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back