Remove this Banner Ad

MC_9

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Has been outstanding since being moved back to the midfield. There is an article on the AFL website talking about how he is Hawthorn's 'Mr Fix it'. However I definitely think that he is being wasted down back, as his bigest strength is his ability to win and use the ball so well in traffic. He also adds speed to our midfield, which we really need.

Heres hoping he plays in the middle for the rest of the year.

Think a few Burgoyne bashers would be surprised how high he would currently be sitting in the HFC best and fairest. Can't think of a game where he has been beaten this year. Performs his role every single week. He might be Mr Fix It, but he is also Mr Reliable.

Never been one to pump my own tyres (;)) but here is a post I made last week.

It amazes me that people still question Burgoyne and his output and recruitment in general. Does he ever get beaten?

I reckon he has been a terrific pick up. Absolutely love watching him play football. Sure - everyone is familiar with the name 'silk' but his decision making, hardness and ability to still beat an opponent compliment his skills beautifully. Criminally under rated IMO.

Perhaps it's because his standard is 18-23 touches, rather than 25+, but he just gets the job done week after week.

Never been one to pump my own tyres (;)) but here is a post I made last week.

Yeah I agree with all of that.

He is such a weapon in the middle. I think when ever we need a spark in the middle of the ground our midfield set up should be Mitchell, Burgoyne and Rioli. All contested ball winning machines.

I believe they have been keeping him in the backline to take the load off his knee to prolong his career.

When Lewis comes back he may return there but I would like him to increase his midfield load close to the finals and then play there for the majority of his time during the finals.

I believe they have been keeping him in the backline to take the load off his knee to prolong his career.

When Lewis comes back he may return there but I would like him to increase his midfield load close to the finals and then play there for the majority of his time during the finals.

That's my impression too. He's had quarters here and there in the midfield though - last year against Freo at the G and North at Aurora and has absolutely killed it. In both those games he was the spark that led to us eventually winning the game.

Certainly he hasn't let anyone down when he's gone in there.

Yeah, he's the guy I want rested for the finals. Play him off half forward rotating into the midfield. He's another gun that opponents have a hard time handling and if you give him a look at the goal's, he'll make you pay.

Let's wait until he does it in the big games against the big boys before we get carried away.

I must admit, he was sexy to watch yesterday. A beast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gets a little out done by some of our other stars like buddy and cyril but hes ability to be versatile across back,mid and forward is amazing. had his best game for a long time against brisbane yesterday. quite underrated

Has been outstanding since being moved back to the midfield. There is an article on the AFL website talking about how he is Hawthorn's 'Mr Fix it'. However I definitely think that he is being wasted down back, as his bigest strength is his ability to win and use the ball so well in traffic. He also adds speed to our midfield, which we really need.

Heres hoping he plays in the middle for the rest of the year.

but i obviously agree with you haha
gets a little out done by some of our other stars like buddy and cyril but hes ability to be versatile across back,mid and forward is amazing. had his best game for a long time against brisbane yesterday. quite underrated

Like last year's PF v Collingwood?

Exactly, was huge in the Prelim last year and in fact has been a very consistent performer for us since coming across from Port. People had extremely high expectations which was fair enough but as far as I'm concerned he has delivered, not as many stand out games as expected but has rarely played a bad one. Has been played out of position for various reasons but always plays his role and has impact with all his possessions. As good as the likes of Rioli and Franklin are to watch live this guy is as smooth as any, a pleasure to watch.

Exactly, was huge in the Prelim last year and in fact has been a very consistent performer for us since coming across from Port. People had extremely high expectations which was fair enough but as far as I'm concerned he has delivered, not as many stand out games as expected but has rarely played a bad one. Has been played out of position for various reasons but always plays his role and has impact with all his possessions. As good as the likes of Rioli and Franklin are to watch live this guy is as smooth as any, a pleasure to watch.

That's the thing about Burgoyne - he's never been a high accumulator of the pill in his career so to think he was going to walk into Hawthorn and start racking up 30's + every week was just fanciful and unrealistic expectation on behalf of the supporter base.

He's only ever done that 5 times in his career and once was with us - the difference is what you get is genuine, first class quality over quantity. Burgs will never get a strained neck from watching the ball going sailing back over his head after he disposes of it.

Agreed......... He has been terrific the last couple of games, and now with a weel earned rest, a big second half of the season is beckoning...

Plus, you can't underestimate how important a leader he is around the club; appears highly respected and genuinely popular. Seems a real student of the game and the indigenous experience therein; great influence on our youngsters, particularly the indigenous kids. Maintains a fairly high media profile and handles it effectively.

All this seems to reflect the pretty special way he plays the game.

He's quick, strong, cool, a good decision-maker ... so flexible, so tough to tackle ... & he really wanted to be a Hawk!

Love 'im!

Love him when he has the ball in hand. Never burns it and always so creative with it.

As soon as Cyril gave him the ball in the Third and he turned with a little bit of room, you just knew he was never going to miss it. So sure and strong. Seriously love the guy. What makes him even better, he is a incredibly humble person! Nothing about him screams out... LOOK AT ME... apart from his amazing smooth moving talent. Always will be one of my favorites.

His tackling is a major highlight... bloody tough and strong!

Easily BOG against the Lions. Didn't do much in the last but excelled when the game was there to be won. Hopefully he can continue this form for the rest of the season because if he does it will go a long way to winning another GF

Love having Bergs at Hawthorn, think he has not lived up to his hype but there are many reasons for that.

Was coming back from that serious knee injury in to a whole new team and setup. Playing him in different positions.

I really wish we chased Jolly in that trade week but we got distracted by Mark Williams when getting Burgoyne. Not sad we got him at all just would have preferred Jolly or even to chase him but then I remember he was pretty much going to Collingwood anyway.

Oh well, I've dragged that whole thing up again.

Go Bergs.

Love having Bergs at Hawthorn, think he has not lived up to his hype but there are many reasons for that.

Was coming back from that serious knee injury in to a whole new team and setup. Playing him in different positions.

I really wish we chased Jolly in that trade week but we got distracted by Mark Williams when getting Burgoyne. Not sad we got him at all just would have preferred Jolly or even to chase him but then I remember he was pretty much going to Collingwood anyway.

Oh well, I've dragged that whole thing up again.

Go Bergs.

He was NEVER going anywhere else.

I will admit that the doubts about #9 started to creep in with me after the Sydney game. I would attribute this to the disappointment of seeing a Kennedy running around in the Red and White. Seeing Shaun strut his stuff on Sunday was a reminder of how brilliant he can actually be.

In the words of Mark Williams (not the Ex-Hawk) "Quietasamouse, YOU WERE WRONG!!!"

I really wish we chased Jolly in that trade week but we got distracted by Mark Williams when getting Burgoyne.

Both the Jolly and Burgoyne trade would have been promised and negotiated player and club long before trade week.

Trade week was just when the clubs talk turkey...

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaun Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back