Sherman leaves Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Stright to the Reserve Bank with this one. Let it mature a little bit and earn some interest.

Or

Re-invested with the GC for some quick returns, such as bundled with another pick for a draft pick in the early teens.

I like the first idea...i say bank it! Or at least bank a compensation pick for 2012! Either way quite happy with the picks we have and a good resulyt for us considering how much we were going to pay him the next 2 years. Some of the young guns might get a bonus if they perform next year! :):thumbsu:

Thanks for your services and good luck worm.....I'm sure you'll do great at the doggies.

I remember your debut game against the hawks in 2005 at the MCG. We got hammered that day but you were a shining light kicking a few goals.

Agree.

Some of the bagging by our own supporters are also off the mark and a little disappointing.

I can't blame those who haven't met him for holding such views to be honest.

He's a nice bloke when you talk to him, but can not blame others for thinking he is mentally weak and a bit of a primadonna. Dan Collins issues aside, Shermo was given more chances than most this year. He gives the impression of someone who leans towards the easy option, on and off the field.

Still capable of playing some very good football, but the fact that he told his manager he is attracted to all the trappings of being a Melbourne based footballer, I wonder if his head is in the right space.

Better pick aside, Sydney and their culture seemed like the perfect destination for him IMO. He needs to be coddled somewhat. Got help him if he gets on the wrong side of Rocket.

TBH I never thought much of Sherman anyway he was always "gonna" be a star instead of actually being one At the end of the day he didn't want to play with the Lions so really there wasn't much we were going to be able do about it

I still can't believe we got a late first round pick for him :thumbsu: Its good to see that this year we have almost done a complete 360 degree turn in regards to our recruiting last year:thumbsu:

That said, I wonder why we didn't hold out till closer to the deadline just in case.

That is my only concern too, but unless it was obvious we just weren't going to get anything better from from the Dogs, then it is understandable. I am not overly disappointed with the trade at all, as others have said, far too inconsistent, frustrating and just did not contribute enough when the chips were down, however completely agree with your assessment here:

Better pick aside, Sydney and their culture seemed like the perfect destination for him IMO. He needs to be coddled somewhat. Got help him if he gets on the wrong side of Rocket.

I like the first idea...i say bank it! Or at least bank a compensation pick for 2012! Either way quite happy with the picks we have and a good resulyt for us considering how much we were going to pay him the next 2 years. Some of the young guns might get a bonus if they perform next year! :):thumbsu:

Like the idea, but would be good to get Graeme Hadley's thoughts.

If the draft is as deep as what they are suggesting, we may be better off using 5-25-27 and Harbrow compo here and get a bunch of lads who could come through as a group.

Just like Rich, Redden, Banfield, Rockliff and hopefully Cornelius.

EDIT: freed up another $400,000 and got an early second rounder :D.. very nice outcome for us.

Ive supported and supported the Shermanator..but god he was frustrating..

ive got no problem with him going...disappointed with what we got for him though given Sydney's offer...screwed again!

oh well the salary cup releif will be a big help

ive got no problem with him going...disappointed with what we got for him though given Sydney's offer...screwed again!

Sorry to be off topic, but are you from Warrnambool by any chance? :eek:

I could be wrong about Sherman being arrogant, but by the way he handled the trading situation was wrong in my opinion and he came across as arrogant because of it. The Lions could have had a much better deal trading with us, instead of the Bulldogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to be off topic, but are you from Warrnambool by any chance? :eek:

I could be wrong about Sherman being arrogant, but by the way he handled the trading situation was wrong in my opinion and he came across as arrogant because of it. The Lions could have had a much better deal trading with us, instead of the Bulldogs.

Seems obvious to me. Justin Sherman said - I do not want to live in Sydney. Fair enough. What we are forgetting is we are dealing with peoples lives here. All talk is about draft picks & club fortunes, but players ( and family) are people.

Much as I would have loved pick 21, I can live with Justin going where he wanted to. And I applaud all involved at the Lions for recognising this & facilitating the move. A happy family is better for all, in the long run.

Mate, you do realize that the Bulldogs Harbrow pick is a better offer than Sydney's pick 21. Bulldog's pick has a five year warranty attached to it. You do realize that in two years time (should we decide to bank it ) it could potentially be pick 19.

It also provides us with a fairly powerful trading tool for the next five years as well. We now have two picks (Riska's as well) to make a decission what to do.

Personally I was hoping that Shermo would go to the Bulldogs. For the long term benefit it was a better offer. If they also accepted to pay all his salary than it's even better.

However those seeking immediate gratification and lacking a bit of perspective would see this as the Lions caving in. In fact all the Lions did was holding on to see if maybe a third club would come and tramp both Sydney and the Bulldogs. Obviously they made the assessment that there was no other interested party so they decided to settle and move on to other trades.

So far it's been a faultless display by Kerr. Something that we rarely saw in Gubby's era.

My personal belief is that we should bank both picks till next year. Next year's draft is looking even stronger at the top end. However if Hadley has his eye on a specific target I have confidence that he will get it right.

Seems obvious to me. Justin Sherman said - I do not want to live in Sydney. Fair enough. What we are forgetting is we are dealing with peoples lives here. All talk is about draft picks & club fortunes, but players ( and family) are people.

Much as I would have loved pick 21, I can live with Justin going where he wanted to. And I applaud all involved at the Lions for recognising this & facilitating the move. A happy family is better for all, in the long run.

A happy family? Isn't he from Clarence, Tasmania mate? I thought he only left Brisbane, so he can get "real" football exposure down in Melbourne?

A happy family? Isn't he from Clarence, Tasmania mate? I thought he only left Brisbane, so he can get "real" football exposure down in Melbourne?

He's married.

Give it away, mate. What good would have he been to Sydney if he did not want to be there? I doubt if either of us will ever know the real reasons behind his move, but as I have said - it is his life.

What I said about a happy family is about a happy club. If you have people that do not want to be there, optimum performance is not going to happen. And, just as importantly, this spreads to new arrivals. Far better for all that players wishes are paramount in decision making.

IMO the best result all round has happened.

Give it away, mate. What good would have he been to Sydney if he did not want to be there? I doubt if either of us will ever know the real reasons behind his move, but as I have said - it is his life.

Agree, most people in life have a preference for where they want to live, so I don't think it's fair to be persecuting Sherman for it.

Word is not all his wage is being covered by the dogs in 2011

Hope Rob Kerr negotiates well on this bit. We have accomodated his request to go to dogs inspite of getting a better offer, considering he was willing to backend his contract and help out the club.

Would be silly for us to fit in his salary as well. Up to Dogs and Sherman to work it out IMO.

Ex. players Uncle told me earlier this season that the Lions would be getting rif of those enigmatic types who have vastly differing levels of output from week to week (much like his nephew).He was correct (even though it was more the players decision).Happy with our trading so far.....let's not ^%$# it up now by trading pick #5 for a D.Kerr or someone like that!!!So, am I right in thinking that if we used all our "available" picks in this draft, we'd have 5, 25,27,29,30???Hit 50% of the late 20's picks and we'll have done well.GO LIONS!!!!

I liked Sherman and Brennan and Rischa but lets face it - all of these guys had their shortcomings and if this is all we lose and we are able to draft well, with some skilled and pacy mids I'll be happy.

Love Brennan- but even I have to face facts - he was hardly producing what was expected of him on week by week basis especially from a No 3 draft pick.

Thought Sherman could be Akermanis like after 09- but once again bit like the race horse I used to own - inconsistent and unreliable.

Rischa- showed he could win the ball and became consistent- yes he won the B and F in an unsuccesful year- but geez couldn't kick a set shot goal or a running goal from 35 metres out, and if the game was in the balance you would bet on him missing.

In return we get two end of 1st round comp picks , pick 5 and 25 and 27 for Brennana and his comp pick and our pick 10. More than happy to be now rebuilding the midfield, I am also in the camp that thinks we are not as in much peril as the media puts it. The end of year season review is already changing the mood from a perception point of view, I already feel better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sherman leaves Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back