Sherman leaves Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be against us getting Josh Hill. I reckon he's a very talented young player. I suppose the notion of us trying to cut salary costs might prohibit us from getting him in a trade, though.

Averaged 2 goals a game this year, however drops his head too easily. He isn't on that much with the Dogs.

Quigs,

I think you are a bit harsh on Barlow, i think he has a massive scope for improvement, he is a great runner, we don't have many of them and I have been impressed with him. A young player with an elite engine and size is what we need. Barlow could be an excellent AFL player.

On Hill, he is going to be an excellent footballer, not too sure why he has so many critics. Can drop his head in the marking contest, sure i have seen that but i have seen him take more marks in packs and one on one than many other AFL players. Has a lot of development left in him and is an elite mark.

We shouldn't shy away from the likes of Barlow and Hill, both relatively young and have the potential for improvement, both players have elite traits.

Completely different recruiting philosophy compared to last year. Injured players who athletically are on the way down!

Despite all the salary cap talk, Sherman is a request to be traded rather than a salary cap casualty. If we were going to get a first rounder then I am sure they would be prepared to cover some of his salary next year.

Quigs,

I think you are a bit harsh on Barlow, i think he has a massive scope for improvement, he is a great runner, we don't have many of them and I have been impressed with him. A young player with an elite engine and size is what we need. Barlow could be an excellent AFL player.

On Hill, he is going to be an excellent footballer, not too sure why he has so many critics. Can drop his head in the marking contest, sure i have seen that but i have seen him take more marks in packs and one on one than many other AFL players. Has a lot of development left in him and is an elite mark.

We shouldn't shy away from the likes of Barlow and Hill, both relatively young and have the potential for improvement, both players have elite traits.

Completely different recruiting philosophy compared to last year. Injured players who athletically are on the way down!
Barlow has just played his fifth season and played one game returning 11 disposals. Over his 5 years he has played a grand total of 26 games. He is 196cm and a good runner but that is all he has going for him. He has played a few good games but not for about 18 months and he is the kind of guy most on this board would be jumping up and down about if we recruited him. He is a prime canditate to be delisted and guys let go for nothing by Sydney never amount to anything. At most I would be open to perhaps mature age rookieing him.

Hill I may have been a bit harsh on. He is a 4th year player but he does have quite a lot of talent, his pace is good and he knows where the goals are. A new environment with a team that believes in him might be the answer. He would certainly get a game for us.

Without looking back at the stats, I imagine that Sherman has featured in our Top 5 goal-kickers a few times over the years. We already lack goal-kicking options, particularly amongst the small-medium sized and running players, so although Sherman has been very inconsistent, we'll certainly need to be thinking about a good replacement (particularly with Brennan and Rischitelli also departing, who both also added to the goal tally fairly regularly).

Either we'll need the likes of Polkinghorne, Banfield, Rockliff and a few other young players to step up the goal-kicking output, or we'll need to take a serious look at players like J.Hill who might be available.

Without looking back at the stats, I imagine that Sherman has featured in our Top 5 goal-kickers a few times over the years. We already lack goal-kicking options, particularly amongst the small-medium sized and running players, so although Sherman has been very inconsistent, we'll certainly need to be thinking about a good replacement (particularly with Brennan and Rischitelli also departing, who both also added to the goal tally fairly regularly).

Either we'll need the likes of Polkinghorne, Banfield, Rockliff and a few other young players to step up the goal-kicking output, or we'll need to take a serious look at players like J.Hill who might be available.
Stocka I think we will definately look to address our small forward deficiency in the draft. Maybe someone like Harper if we get a second first rounder for Brennan or a mature aged prospect like Ninyette with one of our latter picks. Also this is another reason to look at Josh Green who is listed as a small forward for the draft combine but is essentially a goal kicking midfielder.

I think Zephi Skinner would also perhaps be a chance to go to us if he slips through the main draft (or if we are picking in the third round on).

I expect us to focus on upping the goal production from our current crop but I also believe we will take at least a couple of guys who will be aimed at supplementing our forward options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess Staker can be added to the list as someone who can get amongst the goals.

I suppose the thing with Sherman though, has been his capability to get multiples on a fairly regular basis and be a real danger up forward. Some of the names that we're coming up with tend to appear more as single-goal types, as opposed to someone who could potentially win a game in the role of a small forward.

I've got hopes for Polkinghorne, but whilst he has the strength and commitment to be a very good small forward (particularly one who can feed other players whilst getting a goal or two himself), he probably lacks the pace and flair that would really make him a dangerous forward option who could win a game with a bag of goals.

I am not saying go after Barlow and Hill but what i am saying is recruiting younger types who haven't reached their potential is a better strategy than older players with fitness and form issues.

Yipeee :thumbsu::D. Now, who was the genius who thought this "fringe" player(i am being kind) was worth 900k over three years???? Fair dinkum i'm gutted, the Brisbane Lions Football Club has been hijacked & ruined by a bunch of w***ers.
I felt physically ill when i read a snippet in the Courier Mail a few weeks ago refering to Adcock as the future Captain. What the f*&% ? Jed is a passenger & the club/team would not miss him one bit.

Adcock is always has an impact when on the field for the Lions, his problem is he is always injured not that he can't play.

$300k a year seems pretty much on par for someone who's often in the top 10 players at a club. It's just that this year has been pretty terrible, so people disregard his previous years - i.e. the years the contract would have actually been based on.

Yipeee :thumbsu::D. Now, who was the genius who thought this "fringe" player(i am being kind) was worth 900k over three years???? Fair dinkum i'm gutted, the Brisbane Lions Football Club has been hijacked & ruined by a bunch of w***ers.
I felt physically ill when i read a snippet in the Courier Mail a few weeks ago refering to Adcock as the future Captain. What the f*&% ? Jed is a passenger & the club/team would not miss him one bit.

300k a year is a pretty average contract, especially for someone who has alot of potential. I wouldnt have thought that there would be such a reported interest from other clubs willing to offer second round picks for such a fringe player either :confused:

I dont get your commnet on Adcock, our defence is greatly improved when ever he is back there, had two bad years with injury but i would certainly consider him a key person in our leadership group....need more players of his ilk at the club.

Yipeee :thumbsu::D. Now, who was the genius who thought this "fringe" player(i am being kind) was worth 900k over three years???? Fair dinkum i'm gutted, the Brisbane Lions Football Club has been hijacked & ruined by a bunch of w***ers..

As has already been said, 300k isnt huge money these days. Sherman re-signed after 2009 which was a career best year. He averaged over 20 possessions and 4 tackles a game, kicked 30 goals and came 5th in our best and fairest.

We've bollocksed up some contracts recently, but I have no problem with the deal we made with Shermo at the time.

I've have to disagree with you 100% on your opinion of Jed Adcock. I have no doubt that Jed will be our next captain. Although his season (as a few others) was affected by injury, he is in our top 5 at the club - when on the field. I'm sure the majority of Lions supporters would agree with me.

As for Sherman's salary (900K over 3 years) - this is approx 80-100K over the average and reflected his form during 2009.

I heard that The Lions are very interested in Richard Tambling and the Tigers will offer Tambling to the Lions in a straight swap for Sherman. Apprently the Tigers have also offered there second round pick for Sherman. Plus the Hawks, Bulldogs and Swans are keen and will offer there first round picks. Also the Hawks are willing to depart with Bateman and there 3rd rounder for Sherman. The Lions are weighing up there options at the moment.

Send me a PM if you would like to know how I know if that makes sense:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Sherman leaves Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back