Shiel signs with GWS, so who is the new doozy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus give Benny a break, the war chest is real, we know this. I suppose we could have had a lash at any of the likes of:
Adam Cooney (lol), Chapman (lol), Higgins (meh) but I'm glad we showed significant restraint there.
Maybe we're not delusional like the Kangas or the Bombers, thinking we're one mid-tier upgrade away from serious contention.
Every supporter has their own opinions but I'm ok with the keep developing your own, and pull the trigger if/when it is appropriate.
Seriously, would you rather we had a pudgy Paul Chapman running around at half forward and Corey Ellis cooling his heels in the 2's?

At this stage it looks like Shiel is staying put, Geelong are going to throw the kitchen sink at Dangerfield,
I don't really know why he'd go from a team that might be on the rise to a team that is sinking down the ladder, albeit slowly. But once
Stevie J, Kelly, Bartel, Mackie and Enright all pull up stumps they're going to be light on the ground I think,
Horlin-Smith looks good for them but he's a reduction in class from what they've been used to.

Anyway stay strong gang only a few months to go..;)

Biggest concern is the clubs ability to close a deal. The best deal we have done in recent years is Hampson. We couldnt close the deal on Greenwood or Armitage last year and i recall we were into Hannebery too. All playing somewhere else. No good having available salary space if we cant get the signature.

Unless the player is a free agent or it's trade period the benefit always goes to the club they're at
This is what happens when you invest too much into something that you won't know about for another 6 months (when this all started)

Biggest concern is the clubs ability to close a deal. The best deal we have done in recent years is Hampson. We couldnt close the deal on Greenwood or Armitage last year and i recall we were into Hannebery too. All playing somewhere else. No good having available salary space if we cant get the signature.

You wanted to pay more than $450k for greenwood??

Stupid would be the club paying more than it wants, can afford, or can justify just so it can win the bidding war

Unless the player is a free agent or it's trade period the benefit always goes to the club they're at
This is what happens when you invest too much into something that you won't know about for another 6 months (when this all started)

Remember someone in the field once told me we only hear a fraction of the trade discussion that goes on, and we would probably freak at some of the names mentioned.

Issue is most trades don't occur, players are reluctant to leave, and the incumbent club is best placed to retain.

Still laugh at the poster who complained about the club because we were not into the cooney trade. That's a sure sign it's about getting a "win" than actually getting a good deal

Motlop would be jizz , we need a clever forward like him , then get a tough inside mid , too bad shiel is gone , if Sloane is on the market get him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield and Slone are a bridge too far for us i think.

Motlop or Scott Selwood are possibilities but we would need to pay overs to get them

Expect someone like Robbie Tarrent as a FA :$

Dangerfield and Slone are a bridge too far for us i think.

Motlop or Scott Selwood are possibilities but we would need to pay overs to get them

Expect someone like Robbie Tarrent as a FA :$

There was an article last week that stated Robbie Tarrant was worth 500k a season. Get ****ed.

Greenwood we were outbid for & Collingwood paid overs for him, Armitage we were told 5 seconds into the convo that he's off limits & Hannebery was contracted & Swans refused to trade him.

My 2 cents worth at end of year:

Free Agency:

Get Trossman signed.

Unless we have a viable option in our ruck stocks (we don't btw) get Kreuzer as Maric is 30 during the 2016 season.

Get Scott Selwood from West Coast, provides excellent midfield depth and is an extractor which would allow players like Cotch to hurt opposition sides from the outside. Also capable of providing a hard tag on an opposition star.

Dangerfield. If Geelong are offering the $ quoted in the HUN. one of 3 things is true. Firstly, there are a lot of veterans retiring end of 2015, secondly they are planning on releasing Hawkins to free agency this year or Joel Selwood at end of 2016 or finally the story is made up BS.

Trading:

Adam Treloar. GWS have consistently shown during their formative years they want nothing but overs for their players. Therefore we leave them alone on this one. Yes I would like him in a tiger jumper but they demand overs.

Dan Hanneberry. Yes please. He is out of contract this year and if he is to stay he will have to take a biggish pay cut. For a player that has gone to another level this year that is criminal. Word is he could definitely be on the trade table come seasons end.

Steven Motlop, see posting re Dangerfield. Geelong are supposedly calling Motlop off limits, I doubt that this is a final word on the matter as there are serious doubts, imo, how Geelong can afford Dangerfield whilst keeping Hawkins, Selwood and Motlop et al happy, dollars wise.

Steven Motlop, see posting re Dangerfield. Geelong are supposedly calling Motlop off limits, I doubt that this is a final word on the matter as there are serious doubts, imo, how Geelong can afford Dangerfield whilst keeping Hawkins, Selwood and Motlop et al happy, dollars wise.

Chris Scott was asked about Motlop on talking footy on Monday night - Said he very much hoped Motlop would be at Geelong next year, but stopped short of ruling out trading him if a suitable deal came up.

Why is there still the odd comment about trading Vickery?
No way in hell should we trade him.
We are lacking for ruckmen, he is clearly the next best even if he isn't awesome. Our only others are Hampson who is a spuddler and cannot play forward, and McBean who can't ruck. Everyone else is just a pure forward/back.
I'd like to get Kreuzer but we HAVE to keep Vickery. I think he is unfairly maligned. I've had my annoyances with him but he can ruck, he can move around the ground, and is good for 2 or 3 goals a game. You might also notice his disposal count is usually pretty handy. We simply cannot afford to lose him. And as much as I'm liking big Griff and his progress, he is no. 3 behind Jack and Vickery in my eyes.
Sorry rant over.

Shame about Shiel.. had really hoped he would be blitzing it in Yellow and Black next year.

Let's just say Maric slows down, how do people feel about this 22 for next year as a hypothetical?
I'm bored on my break at work...

2016?

B/ Batchelor - Rance - Chaplin
HB/ Houli - Grimes - Yarran
C/ B Ellis - Vlastuin - C Ellis
HF/ Martin - Griffiths - Deledio
F/ Edwards - Riewoldt - Vickery
R/ Kreuzer - Cotchin - Hannebery
Int/ Miles - Lennon - Grigg - McIntosh

emerg/ Morris - Conca - Menadue

can't fit em all...

Remove this Banner Ad

Shiel signs with GWS, so who is the new doozy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back