Shiel signs with GWS, so who is the new doozy?

Remove this Banner Ad

simple because you can't. You cracked it because someone dared take a "cheap shot" and question the club not being able to get a signature but when you are asked to provide some input you couldn't.

It's okay if you want to opt out but don't ridicule others for having some input

It's simple, you couldn't make your own argument, so I out sadly demanded that I defend your own position for you, ignoring the key point I disagree with your position.

No matter what way you cut it, the greenwood trade would have been stupid

You can't get your head around that, and are pissed that we lost, preferring the club to overbid just so it wins

You would have loved the days of Miller I'm guessing, when we were throwing big money for the likes of DeAn Soloman

It's simple, you couldn't make your own argument, so I out sadly demanded that I defend your own position for you, ignoring the key point I disagree with your position.

No matter what way you cut it, the greenwood trade would have been stupid

You can't get your head around that, and are pissed that we lost, preferring the club to overbid just so it wins

You would have loved the days of Miller I'm guessing, when we were throwing big money for the likes of DeAn Soloman
No no no. Go back and read my posts where and let me know where I said I wanted him to come to our club. I used him Armitage and Hannebery as examples that we were linked to having a crack at but you have some bee in your bonnet that I wanted to pay 450k a year for Greenwood. Feel free also to go back through last years trade threads and you won't find me advocating him to come to RFC then either.

It's pretty simplistic to think that a player will go to the highest bid all the time. Most probably but not always. If that was true then so long as we don't offer the highest bid to Rance then he is gone. Not the case! He will go or stay depending on a multitude of factors with coin only being one of them. I dared to ask the question could our club get a signature and you took some offence to that. It's not my job to make everyone warm and fuzzy so if you have an issue then deal with it don't keep off on some tangent convincing yourself that I said something that I didn't or wanted to pay over for a player.

No no no. Go back and read my posts where and let me know where I said I wanted him to come to our club. I used him Armitage and Hannebery as examples that we were linked to having a crack at but you have some bee in your bonnet that I wanted to pay 450k a year for Greenwood. Feel free also to go back through last years trade threads and you won't find me advocating him to come to RFC then either.

It's pretty simplistic to think that a player will go to the highest bid all the time. Most probably but not always. If that was true then so long as we don't offer the highest bid to Rance then he is gone. Not the case! He will go or stay depending on a multitude of factors with coin only being one of them. I dared to ask the question could our club get a signature and you took some offence to that. It's not my job to make everyone warm and fuzzy so if you have an issue then deal with it don't keep off on some tangent convincing yourself that I said something that I didn't or wanted to pay over for a player.

Dude try your very first post

Biggest concern is the clubs ability to close a deal. The best deal we have done in recent years is Hampson. We couldnt close the deal on Greenwood or Armitage last year and i recall we were into Hannebery too. All playing somewhere else. No good having available salary space if we cant get the signature.

Also on rance there is one big issue which I raised and you ignored, incumbency - the original club always has the advantage, and it's one of the few times a player will accept less coin

The only other one is opportunity, which as I pointed out pages ago was much of a muchness between us and the pies

I have no issue with people questioning the club, or wanting it to do better. You made a specific claim however that the club wasn't good enough to land greenwood, and have provided zero examples of what they should have offered to get the deal done (other than a longer contract, which to a bloke off one good year is just as stupid as over paying him)

Say we should have offered $xxx over y years to abc, at least that gives us an example of where you see an issue and what more they should have done. Saying they just should make deals done and that's it is pointless

Dude try your very first post

So flaming highlight the bit where i said I wanted him. Is that too hard?

Don't read things into something that's not there. I used Greenwood Armitage and Hannebery as examples of last year, (geezars I am repeating the same thing over and over to someone that just can't get it) that we couldn't get the deal done in the thread discussing chasing Shiel and other Doozies.

Also on rance there is one big issue which I raised and you ignored, incumbency - the original club always has the advantage, and it's one of the few times a player will accept less coin

Franklin was reported to have been offered more to go to GWS than Sydney. Now this is an example so don't get all excited and read something else into it..............

I have no issue with people questioning the club, or wanting it to do better. You made a specific claim however that the club wasn't good enough to land greenwood

And Armitage and Hannebery but don't let these two blokes who have taken the next step this year ruin your argument. You just focus on an injured Greenwood who hasn't yet got the opportunity to play this year

and have provided zero examples of what they should have offered to get the deal done (other than a longer contract, which to a bloke off one good year is just as stupid as over paying him)

Again, :oops: as said before :oops: I am not a recruiter and not privy to what offer if any the club put on the table. Any examples are pointless unless you understand the specifics of what the player wants. Maybe he wants more game time, played in the middle or even forward or back. All these factors are required to be known otherwise the offer is pointless. Maybe he wanted a longer term or extension clauses in his contract for security. I don't know do you?

If you can't understand all this then that's your issue not mine pal.

So flaming highlight the bit where i said I wanted him. Is that too hard?

Don't read things into something that's not there. I used Greenwood Armitage and Hannebery as examples of last year, (geezars I am repeating the same thing over and over to someone that just can't get it) that we couldn't get the deal done in the thread discussing chasing Shiel and other Doozies.

Franklin was reported to have been offered more to go to GWS than Sydney. Now this is an example so don't get all excited and read something else into it..............

And Armitage and Hannebery but don't let these two blokes who have taken the next step this year ruin your argument. You just focus on an injured Greenwood who hasn't yet got the opportunity to play this year

Again, :oops: as said before :oops: I am not a recruiter and not privy to what offer if any the club put on the table. Any examples are pointless unless you understand the specifics of what the player wants. Maybe he wants more game time, played in the middle or even forward or back. All these factors are required to be known otherwise the offer is pointless. Maybe he wanted a longer term or extension clauses in his contract for security. I don't know do you?

If you can't understand all this then that's your issue not mine pal.

So you don't know what should be offered, you don't want the players, but the club failed?

You really are bagging the club just for the sake of it

Oh, and the swans massively outbid the gws, or have you forgotten the NINE year deal already?

I see where your coming from...but I think we get a little too caught up on how young our list is

By the end of the season 2018 the following 9 players (assuming the delistings and retirements are as per your post) will be the wrong side of 30 (8 of whom are currently best 22)

Grigg, Reiwoldt, Deledio, Houli, Edwards, Hampson, Maric , Chaplin, Morris

So I think to maximise the chances of success with the current playing group we need to be looking at players in the (22-25 yr age bracket) who will make an immediate impact over the next 3 seasons (as well as still preparing for the future in bringing in the younger players via the draft/GWS/GC)

Your forgetting about our FA agents to come in

Remember thats a lot of cap space that will be gone

Last edited:

Imo I think the question is fair and reasonable when talking about getting players to our club, but we must remember you have to pay more to get players to your club in a bidding market(call it a swap over club tax, which the incumbent club doesn't have to pay, and the player must consider the after tax money), but there is a limit to what you should pay and if clubs pay more than that well good luck to them. The problem arises when we ask this question, is could we have done better to attract them and did we offer a fair deal to the player, because you cant separate these 2 issues ie price of the contract offer and did we get them over the line? In the Greenwood situation, imo, we cant bemoan the fact we didn't get him over, then in the same breath agree that we wouldn't have won the bidding war and shouldn't have, with an offer of 450k+ from our club.

Prowler I like the question, just didn't agree with this example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see either WHE, Treloar or Hanneberry in the black and yellow next season... Anyone know their contract statuses? i.e. F.A. or trades to get it done?

Not sure what it would take, but I think we'd have to pay way over for Sloane or Danger.

Think Motlop would fit in nicely and make Sheds even more dangerous.

Bennell I could even live with. Surely some GC talents could find their way down to Punt RD...

C'mon Benny show someone the money!! For someone good that is!!

Changing the topic of players here.
Good source told me Zac Smith is disillusioned and wants out. Homesick and hates the culture.
I personally don't really like him , but we are desperate for a ruckman. Would he be cheap enough and what would he cost us in terms of a pick?

Lovely kid, had a few dinners with him when he an Gajr came to png last year, won't get into trouble for drinking that's for sure

Imo I think the question is fair and reasonable when talking about getting players to our club, but we must remember you have to pay more to get players to your club in a bidding market(call it a swap over club tax, which the incumbent club doesn't have to pay, and the player must consider the after tax money), but there is a limit to what you should pay and if clubs pay more than that well good luck to them. The problem arises when we ask this question, is could we have done better to attract them and did we offer a fair deal to the player, because you cant separate these 2 issues ie price of the contract offer and did we get them over the line? In the Greenwood situation, imo, we cant bemoan the fact we didn't get him over, then in the same breath agree that we wouldn't have won the bidding war and shouldn't have, with an offer of 450k+ from our club.

Prowler I like the question, just didn't agree with this example.
So what example should I have used? Last year It was reported we were interested in the three mentioned so they were the obvious choice. Probably got way of track with the other dude and his hate for Greenwood (who I have never said we should have traded for) but the point was made in reference to previous posts in the thread about chasing player X, Y or Z. We haven't had a great track record in getting players via trade period and I certainly don't and never have advocated paying overs for a player.

I'm sick of trying to defend my thoughts on this matter, that's my opinion and I stand by them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shiel signs with GWS, so who is the new doozy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back