Ship X Player out (because I said so)

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct Goldy goes, the past few weeks he has been spent at the start of the 3rd quater, Leuenberger spanked him last week and Kreuzer did it last night and it would be only one bloke in Currie, Pyke has managed to do it when Mumford was out last year, so it can be done.

Suckling would worth taking a risk on just take a look at Malceski, probably the greatest knee reco comeback story ever. Goldy threatend to leave last year when he was told McIntosh would be the #1 ruck at North.

So you do not rate Black or even Majak to be able to replace Drew in a few years time, last night Taz was about as useful as a wet paper bag. not to mention all his shoulder problems. you dont want to take a risk with Suckling, but your happy to put the future of the NMFC forward line on Taz's shoulders.

Cooney seems to be over his knee trouble and is in brilliant form at the present.

Your right though, thankfully we do leave this stuff to the list management people, as they sure know what they are doing, they are fantastic at bringing in players and letting them rot in reserves or even trading for duds, Do you remember McKinley, Hay, Shane Harvey, Urquhart, Ben Warren. Jesse Smith (who we left on our list when receiving treatment on his ankle, then up and left)
This thread gets sillier by the minute.

Lets see what we have here.

We get rid of Goldy and rely on two blokes who have played a combined 5 games of AFL Football.

For Goldy we get Suckling who if I am not mistaken will be coming back from a knee reconstruction next year. Of course there is also the small matter of the Hawks and Suckling being interested in this.

We trade Tarrant, who I would imagine is the best bet to replace Drew in the next couple of years when he retires.

Then we go after Cooney or Thomas. Cooney has to be highly problematic with his knee status. Why would we gamble on that? Thomas appears better value but he too is a little injury prone and will ask for very big dollars.

Thankfully we leave this stuff to the list management people.
Where and when did Suckling come into conversation?? Thats just ludicrous........get the 1st pick (Boyd) then do what you like with him. ie keep him,fob Tarrant off or trade him for top grade mid who'll help us out. We have enough big men now coming through our system, bring in another project ruck and give him his 3/4 yrs apprenticeship in the 2's.

That is what we should do. Won't happen, but should. He is serviceable I agree.

What makes you think Taz is improving Tron? Looks about the same as when he first played to my eyes.

He's improving, in mobility and in his marking. Always been a good kick, on both feet. Its his second year after serious injuries, and is averaging, what 2 goals a game? Pretty good for a key forward in second year. I don't think he'll be a star - not much of a body player - but we need him. Petrie a season or injury away from retiring, Daw still unknown, ditto Curran, Hanson a better backman. I'd like to see him after 50 games

I would trade him for the right price, but then again I'd say that about most of our players.

The Magpies and Carlton would take him and would consider giving up a first rounder as part of the trade.

He is like Bambi on here
Do you post here often?

We easily have the dumbest supporter group in the AFL.

It can be very tedious on this board.

Think he may have signed a two year deal at some stage this year, but I might be wrong.

Depends on what his status there is I guess and what we would expect to get.

The club has invested heavily in Tarrant, either rightly or wrongly, and I doubt if we would want to be paying for half of his contract ala Hale.

If they were thinking, that's it we need to cut our losses, then yeah they would have to off load him now.
But I wouldn't expect to get a hell of a lot in return, because we are going solely on potential still.

He's had some nice performances this year and until his injury set back, I thought was showing all the signs of fulfilling his obvious promise.

But if you look at it from a buyers pov, here's a guy x number of years on a list, multiple shoulder reco's, terrible injury record, with limited senior experience.

You're not giving too much up for that, so the best you can hope for is to do a package deal for a player.

We don't need picks and as mentioned many times, we have plenty of junior talent coming through as is.

His work rate is excellent, his hands are getting better and his intensity once the ball is on the deck is also improving significantly. He is taking time which is not surprising given 4 shoulder reco's and other issues and has not, IMO, reached his ceiling yet. I would only consider a trade if the net benefit addressed other issues, such as packaging him with a pick for a quality mid. Otherwise he is a keeper.

He has played 32 games of AFL footy.

Low games I agree. But he is not "young" and usually physical development hold many back when talking about games as the important factor in output.

I honestly think some teams would be prepared to trade something we want to get hold of a big KPF, and as we have too many already (even Currie can't get a game as a resting ruck) I think we should be aggressive in building the list.

Don't know if you remember a few games when we didn't have Tarrant this year but when he wasn't there our forward line stunk. Like crap. He gets to contests and splits packs. Granted he doesn't have the greatest of hands and doesn't clunk everything that comes his way but he creates a contest, which causes spillages which allows guys like Thomas, Harvey, Adams, etc. to pounce on and kick goals from. I'm certain this happened at least a few times against Carlton. You just have to look beyond the marks and goals tallies sometimes.

To trade for someone under contract you have to give up some value.

Assume we need a hardnut midfield, say for the sake of it - Griffen.

Now who of the list has value to another side, can facilitate the trade and we can easily more easily replace. So name the players who have that value.

And before you name VFL players remember after the Pederson trade, the value of VFL players has dropped like the Australian dollar.

Alternatively we can continue with the same squad, or much the same, as this year....
If Pedersen went to Collingwood instead of that pratt from West Coast Im sure he would have done well there, Pedersen showed more than enough with us that he had value on the trade table. He also knew like Azza his chances were going to be limited with Tarrant,Maj and Black higher up the list.

Low games I agree. But he is not "young" and usually physical development hold many back when talking about games as the important factor in output.

I honestly think some teams would be prepared to trade something we want to get hold of a big KPF, and as we have too many already (even Currie can't get a game as a resting ruck) I think we should be aggressive in building the list.
Regardless of his age he hasn't had a great deal of senior footy as a forward at any level. I'm not expecting a quantum leap in improvement, nor would I think any other club would as Grogg points out above, so his value will not be that high on his own.

I like the guy because he works his arse off, runs to good positions, is a good size and will get better in using his body and taking his marks. He seems to be a pretty smart player too. Getting rid if him for a second or third rounder at this stage is pointless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What IF Gold Coast offered up David Swallow in a 3-way deal (Zondor likes this!) to get the number one pick from GWS. Would you give up Goldy to GWS (they'd probably want more)?
No SW, get the 1st pick then we are in control of what happens throughout the trading week. We change the course if we offer the "Goldenstone"=goldstein

:p so many amusing trade threads here already, i dread the coming off season trade free for all
Perhaps we could package up Taz, Goldy and Cunners for pick one and Ryan Griffen?

Agree with you about the list, but your Melbourne's of the world only come along once in a lifetime these days.

You'd have to clear it with the player first if you were to shop him around in the hope somebody comes to you with a reasonable offer.

I just can't see any of that happening with Taz tbh, given his track record.

I honestly don't know how the OP thinks he hasn't improved over the years.

I honestly think that. He is still terrible overhead, and very slow at ground level.

He has improved in other less important ways, but for the purpose of being a gun KPF he is no closer IMO.

Agree with you about the list, but your Melbourne's of the world only come along once in a lifetime these days.

You'd have to clear it with the player first if you were to shop him around in the hope somebody comes to you with a reasonable offer.

I just can't see any of that happening with Taz tbh, given his track record.

That might be right, and could be the fact why we can't capitalize.

We would need to have a plan in place for sure before moving on Taz I agree. I think a star outside mid with excellent delivery should be high on our list.

The point of the thread is not to bag Taz, but to get what we need to take the next step. I think he is a valuable commodity, one we don't need and hence best to use while we can. But yep, it may be that it can't happen regardless.

Snip

Getting rid if him for a second or third rounder at this stage is pointless.

I would hope he is worth more than a second rounder.

If that is all we could get I agree we just persevere. The premise of my thread is to use him and someone else (or pick) to get far better than that and build the list with quality players.

Kicked 4 against Richmond, 3 vs Brisbane then getting hurt, has one quiet game and the calls to trade come out. Not really surprising. He has just turned 24, still young by KPP standards, has only played 31 games, half of those as a defender, and has had his early years ruined by shoulder issues.

It is unlikely he is going be a superstar, but there have been a lot of very good KPFs who bloomed at age 26+ who have been integral in premierships teams.

I would hope he is worth more than a second rounder.

If that is all we could get I agree we just persevere. The premise of my thread is to use him and someone else (or pick) to get far better than that and build the list with quality players.
We simply will not get a first round pick for him. Not gonna happen. That is not to say that in 12 months time that may be the case.

Whatever happens IF he was offered up as a trade option it would need to be with our first pick to get a player that will take us to the next level.

Regardless, using the word DUD in your op is opening you up to some warranted slagging.

That might be right, and could be the fact why we can't capitalize.

We would need to have a plan in place for sure before moving on Taz I agree. I think a star outside mid with excellent delivery should be high on our list.

The point of the thread is not to bag Taz, but to get what we need to take the next step. I think he is a valuable commodity, one we don't need and hence best to use while we can. But yep, it may be that it can't happen regardless.

Yeah I don't think you set out to bag Taz particularly and agree with the philosophy of you've gotta give to get, it's just that we probably wouldn't get what we perceive as his potential worth.

Agreed we should be targeting the bolded. Luckily we are sorted with McDonald so that's already a huge bonus for us, I expect Spud will retire and I have a sneaking suspicion there might be another senior guy hang the boots up. Speight's gone, Levi's a probability for mine, Richo's finished. I reckon we could lose at least 6 at the end of the year.

Given I'm expecting only a couple more wins for the season, we should have the best handful of draft picks we've had since our Brycey was in nappies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ship X Player out (because I said so)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back