Should Dangerfield have won the MVP??

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't get me wrong, I am a Richmond supporter and I love Dusty!!!

However I also regarded the MVP as the most valuable player not necessarily the best player!!!

In that regard is Dangerfield not the most valuable player for a team in the comp because without Dangerfield Geelong would be nowhere particularly without umpire assistance?

I would have thought the result yesterdays result against Sydney replacing their whole forward line typified its about Dangerfield not Dangerwood and really Dangerfield should be on 2 million a year and is he rorting the system carrying a lessor salary???

One thing is for sure, Lance is not near MVP!!:eek: and comments relative to Carey again have been proved ridiculous!!

To be honest I would like to see a best player award!!

Last edited:

Why?

For example some years some mids have won the MVP and frankly for their team I do not think they where near Most valuable player for the comp like when Nick Riewoldt was in his prime along with Carey!!!

I think its debateable who is the best Dusty or Danger atm but as far as MVP clearly is Danger because Geelong are far more reliant on him compared to Dusty who gets more support from Coach, Rance and co although that dynamic could change in the future!!

NO

He might have flashes of brilliance. But he also has flashes of inconsistency.

He was also suspended this season (and he's had more than one act which would have been suspendable if it were Joe Blow and not Danger)

Suspension has little to do with MVP though and surely with Selwoods decline Danger has to be the MVP even though maybe not best player this year!!

I actually thought Danger could have got the most votes for the MVP this year even if Dusty had more votes in the Brownlow simply because Geelong is so reliant on Danger!!

He's a good player, worth every bit of his 6-year, $800k contract. Puts a lot of current players to shame with their exorbitant contracts in comparison to the best player in the game.

DO you think Geelong will win a premiership because they have a player like Danger who should be on at least 1.5million playing for 800K?

Is dangerfield rorting the system by being on less money? So your pretty much saying it's unfair because Dangerfield agreed to play for 800K per year? Would you like a rule Brought in that says you have to pay your best player a minimum of 2 mill a year?
Lol rorting the system. Only on bigfooty...

Is dangerfield rorting the system by being on less money? So your pretty much saying it's unfair because Dangerfield agreed to play for 800K per year? Would you like a rule Brought in that says you have to pay your best player a minimum of 2 mill a year?
How much is his family being payed by the Geelong mayor since he moved over? AFL should investigate...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield is an exceptional footballer and IMO just shades Martin as the best player in the game. But the media narrative shifted strongly in Martin's favour in the lead-up to the MVP award and that helped create the end result (which IMO should have been much closer at the very least).

If I am to be honest I think Dangerfield had a better year last year than Dusty this year IMO. Having said that although Dusty has improved and still get better and both he and Danger are very good I just think the fact Dangerfield is so dominant for his club in their performance should be the criterion for the Most Valuable player.

I simply don't see the MVP as a best player award and frankly a lot of KPP should have won this award for their importance to the team structurally and their impact on the team apart from our individual output. But with Danger he has the output as a midfielder and with Geelong's team aging apart from some youngsters Geelongs end result is almost fully reliant on Danger so on that criterion Danger should get the gong for MVP and for many years IMO!!

Its a bit like when Goodes won the brownlow simply because at the time the rest of the team was nowhere near him for the Swans!!

Actually I think players should be independently rated money wise making up the salary cap for the club from the consensus of a wide ranging committee and market. For example if another club wanted Danger for 1.5 million regardless of him staying at Geelong for 800K that should be the salary price to stop organisations being player ponzi schemes and returning back to being competitive clubs!! For example assume all players are freely available each year on open market which players go where and who makes up the club mix based on market value. So if Dangers real value is 1.5 million that club who pays that what do they pay to each player relatively speaking making up the rest of their list??

For example Golden State Warriors win the NBA simply because of players accepting lower salary fitting a better list in the cap!!! First that had Curry on a lowball contract, now they have Durant lowballing

Last edited:
DO you think Geelong will win a premiership because they have a player like Danger who should be on at least 1.5million playing for 800K?
Geelong haven't ever paid a player $1M+, we didn't with Ablett, and we weren't going to with Dangerfield. For all the talk of 'one-man', 'two-man' teams etc, we are one of the few teams who have a stringent pay structure and don't blow half the salary cap into a single player. We could have easily offered Dangerfield 1.2M+ to get him as a free agent, but we decided to trade him in for pick 9 and Dean Gore - which ensured we didn't have to lose any up and coming stars like Mitch Duncan, aka the guy who dominated the midfield last night while Dangerfield was plonked in the goal square.

Duncan not making the AA squad of 40 at the least is probably the biggest **** up of the year to be honest.

NO

He might have flashes of brilliance. But he also has flashes of inconsistency.

He was also suspended this season (and he's had more than one act which would have been suspendable if it were Joe Blow and not Danger)

You should be in comedy.

You'd thrive as one of those Elliott Goblet 'Im taking this nonsense so seriously that it actually becomes funny' type stand-ups.

Geelong haven't ever paid a player $1M+, we didn't with Ablett, and we weren't going to with Dangerfield. For all the talk of 'one-man', 'two-man' teams etc, we are one of the few teams who have a stringent pay structure and don't blow half the salary cap into a single player. We could have easily offered Dangerfield 1.2M+ to get him as a free agent, but we decided to trade him in for pick 9 and Dean Gore - which ensured we didn't have to lose any up and coming stars like Mitch Duncan, aka the guy who dominated the midfield last night while Dangerfield was plonked in the goal square.

Duncan not making the AA squad of 40 at the least is probably the biggest **** up of the year to be honest.

Second biggest.

#tuohy

You know talk of Ablett JNR being better than Ablett SNR is ridiculous but arguably Dangerfield could be better than Ablett SNR as his career unfolds.

What Geelong pays versus the fair dispersion of talent are totally different concepts like with GSW!!

How should he be on 1.5? Fyfe and Dusty are on 1.2ish.

Also it is very possible and likely that Danger had a clause in his contract to automatically get what ever salary cap bump is brought in added to his contract.
Which would put him around 950k if they 800k was correct.

How should he be on 1.5? Fyfe and Dusty are on 1.2ish.

Also it is very possible and likely that Danger had a clause in his contract to automatically get what ever salary cap bump is brought in added to his contract.
Which would put him around 950k if they 800k was correct.

Because fair distribution is about market rates not manipulation through collusion!!

Otherwise it is not a sporting competition but a political one based on power relationships and negotiation tactics!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Should Dangerfield have won the MVP??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back