List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarkos press conference was very interesting.

Journos asking about Breust and Gunston and without denying emphatically he rattled on about not giving rumours air time. Journos then pushed further saying “wrighty said they wouldn’t be traded” and Clarko still wouldn’t be pushed into anything.

A person within the bubble has mentioned to me the Breust chat is being heard.

Strange also he would mention Cogs being dropped 🤷‍♂️.
Breust and Gunston aren’t going anywhere UNLESS someone throws us an offer that we can’t refuse.

Clarkson won’t shut it down completely for that reason, because if someone does throw us ‘overs’ and we accept it he at least won’t be on the record saying “we are not trading Bruest or Gunston”.
Even Wright is careful with his words and says stuff like “They’re both great players, I wouldn’t think so”.

So the players that make well above the current average can't take a 10% paycut why?
They all have taken a 20% pay cut already, the AFL is losing millions this year and we have a recession and record high unemployment, we could even be headed for a depression style economy in the near future, that's why lists and coaching staff are reducing, theyre trying to future proof the competition, theyre hoping to keep all 18 clubs alive in a shrinking economy, so when the jobseeker and job keeper boosts end in a few months, membership numbers will drop and crowds still reduced means more financial losses to come.

We had a minor recession in the mid 90s that killed Fitzroy and nearly killed off another half dozen clubs including our own.

Last edited:
List size of 40 would be great for us. Would require 10 to be moved on as a minimum just to take the mandatory 3 draft picks.

Presume as a rebuilding side we will want more than 3 picks. And if lists are cut to 40, better fringe players will be squeezed out of better sides.

If it’s down to 40, you’d reckon we move 12-15 on.

Looking forward to seeing the Giants list cuts as the first strong list to be eliminated this year.

I'm for a big cull as there'll be a lot of Go's at other clubs that should've stayed. We should also pick up a gem in the preseason draft.
I expect most clubs will do pretty heavy cuts before trade period (the players they know have no real value, as with North) and then further cuts post trade period, which is when the better ones will spill out. I think post trade period we will see some pretty handy players knocked off stronger lists and then have the choice of retaining fringe players like Hanrahan or Morrison or replacing them with fringe players booted out of Richmond, West Coast, Giants etc

If north’s culls are any indication there’s going to be lots of DFA available. What we do with the last 5-6 spots on our list will be interesting - either what we have, draft some speculative high risk/reward vic kids or pick up other clubs DFAs (which arguably will be better than some on our lists).

Also interesting what values clubs put on fringe players. Clubs have generally done poorly with trades with GWS but is this the year with salary cap and list pressure can actually get a bargain? Eg how much can they really ask for say Caldwell If he wants to go, given wasn’t getting a game for a 12th placed side and is uncontracted? May we see the PSD used? (And for once we are well positioned).

not sure what the knock on Chip this year has been

From what I have seen he has been ok especially given our midfield pressure has been so poo

I am more than happy to give him another year. After playing many years as a full back on the big boys I have personal experience - there isn't much you can do if there is no pressure on the ball carriers

Stratton, Poppy, Hendo, Glass, Nash, , Ross, Howe, Morrison, Reeves, Ceglar, Scully, Patton, TOB, Minch, Brooksby, Moore, Hanrahan and Hartley are all players I see very little use for beyond 2022, I know we can't get rid of all at once.

Obviously we'll lose Silk, Chip and potentially Big Boy in that time due to retirement also.

They all have taken a 20% pay cut already, the AFL is losing millions this year and we have a recession and record high unemployment, we could even be headed for a depression style economy in the near future, that's why lists and coaching staff are reducing, theyre trying to future proof the competition, theyre hoping to keep all 18 clubs alive in a shrinking economy, so when the jobseeker and job keeper boosts end in a few months, membership numbers will drop and crowds still reduced means more financial losses to come.

We had a minor recession in the mid 90s that killed Fitzroy and nearly killed off another half dozen clubs including our own.

‘except across the board pay cuts is what fuels a depression. Meanwhile the haves use it to restructure and get richer

‘you don’t need to go to the thirties to see that GFC ‘were all in this together’ recovery ‘well (some) people have to accept less

It's definitely conceivable we could rebound quickly (i.e in 2-3 years) and that is the really difficult thing for the club to grapple with over the next couple of offseasons.

We potentially have a list of very good players who will be in their prime in 2-3 years to build around, but each of them have major question marks.
- JOM - quick, explosive and competitive - but major questions about his disposal
- Titch - at his best an elite contested player who can win multiple clearances and spread to link up - has been a shadow of that player this year and even at his best was not an elite user.
- Worpel - Contested beast, but not an effective user (although he's young)
- Chad - Quick, evasive, good user and has some X-factor - but struggles when the team is down (due, I think, to his role)
- Sicily - elite intercept defender, but coming off an ACL
- Day - amazing first ten games, potential to be elite, amazingly may have the fewest question marks of anyone on this list (other than a lack of exposed form)
- Impey - looked like he was tracking towards elite in 2019, but now coming off an ACL
- Scrimshaw - looking very good, but we don't yet know what type of player he could become

Again, if all goes well, that is a really solid core to build around - but an awful lot of question marks...

Its not hard to find past opinions in bigfooty of question marks on Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Rioli, Lewis, Roughead, even Buddy

Even though I don’t really rate Hanrahan, I can’t see him being delisted simply due to the fact that we have no small forwards. Has there been any links to a small forward from another club?

If Smith leaves as a free agent and Henderson retires, we will have no outside midfielders. What’s the harm in keeping Will Golds on the list for another year?

Delist
Nash
Glass
Moore
Ross
Jones
Minchington
Brooksby

Re-sign
Scrimshaw
Jiath
Morris
Koschitzke
Walker
Greaves
Reeves
Pepper
Frawley
Morrison
Howe
Hanrahan
Golds*

not sure what the knock on Chip this year has been

From what I have seen he has been ok especially given our midfield pressure has been so poo

I am more than happy to give him another year. After playing many years as a full back on the big boys I have personal experience - there isn't much you can do if there is no pressure on the ball carriers

When you factor in the amount of inside 50s conceded to the opposition this year and time spent in their forward half, I think Frawley has been more than solid. He can easily play for one more year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not hard to find past opinions in bigfooty of question marks on Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Rioli, Lewis, Roughead, even Buddy
I'm pretty new to Bigfooty, but from what I've seen that doesn't surprise me at all. I do hope we see something approaching peak form from all of those guys in 2022, but it would take a reversal of the poor luck/management of injuries we've had the since 2019.

Some generational talents on your list too :)

Stratton, Poppy, Hendo, Glass, Nash, , Ross, Howe, Morrison, Reeves, Ceglar, Scully, Patton, TOB, Minch, Brooksby, Moore, Hanrahan and Hartley are all players I see very little use for beyond 2022, I know we can't get rid of all at once.

Obviously we'll lose Silk, Chip and potentially Big Boy in that time due to retirement also.
Goes to show how far away we are.

We've traded alot of quality picks for borderline A grade types. The strategy would have only worked if we landed a couple of FAs and a couple of the borderline As were moulded into elite players of the comp.

I'm not sure we have a top 50 player in the league aside from Sicily.

We have a few that when in form can maybe considered 40-50 range.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

‘except across the board pay cuts is what fuels a depression. Meanwhile the haves use it to restructure and get richer

‘you don’t need to go to the thirties to see that GFC ‘were all in this together’ recovery ‘well (some) people have to accept less
The afl can't pay beyond its revenue for very long. This year it is going to happen but it wouldn't want to happen for more than a a couple of year. The AFL is not an efficient industry. It needs to learn fiscal discipline in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back