List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we have 47 players and its looking like lists might have to be reduced to 40, so that's a minimum of 9 list changes as they changed it to having to take 2 players in instead of the 3.

A change of 11 or so is probably more advantageous for us as a club, hopefully there's someone who has the best interest of the CLUB at heart.

we have 47 players and its looking like lists might have to be reduced to 40, so that's a minimum of 9 list changes as they changed it to having to take 2 players in instead of the 3.

A change of 11 or so is probably more advantageous for us as a club, hopefully there's someone who has the best interest of the CLUB at heart.
Yep going to be some serious pruning.

Another lazy and reactive bit of commentary, no doubt. How many super early picks do Geelong, Richmond and West Coast have? And compare them to Giants, Suns and Blues.
Geelong has 3x 1sts, starting about 11 from memory.

Geelong has 3x 1sts, starting about 11 from memory.
And we have three number 1 draft picks (JOM, Patton and Scully). And we did have a pick 2 in O’Rourke. Plus Wingard, Scrimshaw, Day as first rounders. Lazy commentators seem to think draft position only counts if you were the club who drafted them. Our problem isn’t the lack of early picks, it’s just that the risks we have taken haven’t paid off. Had we taken early picks to the draft, there is every chance that would not have paid off either. The problem has been in execution, not in strategy

My predictions now:

Retirements:
Poppy
Stratton

Delistings:
Hendo
Howe
Glass
Nash
Minch
Brooksby
Ross
Walker
Golds

11 changes total. Still not sure what Howe's contract status is but I struggle to see him on the list next year. Wouldn't be surprised if the club was more savage than this though- especially if we think we can pick up a player or two from another club whilst keeping hold of our top picks.

My predictions now:

Retirements:
Poppy
Stratton

Delistings:
Hendo
Howe
Glass
Nash
Minch
Brooksby
Ross
Walker
Golds

11 changes total. Still not sure what Howe's contract status is but I struggle to see him on the list next year. Wouldn't be surprised if the club was more savage than this though- especially if we think we can pick up a player or two from another club whilst keeping hold of our top picks.

Of the delistings you've listed I'd still be keen to keep both Ross and Walker for another season as I believe at least one of them can play the mid forward role for us. It's hard to judge their development using scratch matches to do so though. I like Golds too if he can come back from the knee as he can offer us run and he knows how to find the footy.

My predictions now:

Retirements:
Poppy
Stratton

Delistings:
Hendo
Howe
Glass
Nash
Minch
Brooksby
Ross
Walker
Golds

Agree with the 2 Irish guys. Minchington, Brooksby, Henderson, Ross and Howe, Walker and Golds don’t know

Of the delistings you've listed I'd still be keen to keep both Ross and Walker for another season as I believe at least one of them can play the mid forward role for us. It's hard to judge their development using scratch matches to do so though. I like Golds too if he can come back from the knee as he can offer us run and he knows how to find the footy.
I half think we'll keep Walker- but tbh I think there must be something up for them to have been kept on the main list for as long as they have and not have been given opportunity. Ross was a top 5 VFL goal kicker last year but hasn't been afforded the opportunity with us- from the scraps of footage we've seen of him over the years I think he mightn't have an AFL standard work ethic/ might not work hard enough defensively. Walker keeps breaking down and I'm not sure how much time he will be afforded given there are apparently players above him in the pecking order- I think any other year both players would be afforded more time, but due to the list changes I think they're most likely to cop a boot

Agree with the 2 Irish guys. Minchington, Brooksby, Henderson, Ross and Howe, Walker and Golds don’t know
Walker see above. Golds I think would be stiff not to get a deal, but I think Covid has messed him around quite a bit here.
Sad to see the Irish lads leave tbh, I think they've both shown they have what it takes but just not for anywhere near long enough periods of time and I don't think we're in a position as a list to have those kinds of development spots on the list.

The players I'd lose, if you had to lose 10P

Stratton - Retired
Puopolo - Retired
Minchington - Stop gap year. Thanks
Brooksby - Stop gap year. Thanks
Henderson - Didn't he check out a year ago?
Glass - doesn't appear to be improving
Hanrahan - doesn't want to train hard enough?
Jackson Ross - Hasn't got a game yet, but want him to stay. Rookie?
Ceglar - Trade out
Frawley - 50 / 50

Jeez it's a hard job. I can think of reasons to keep Moore, CJ, Cousins, Hanrahan, Howe, Ross, Morrison, etc ... but can think of reasons for letting go all those players too.

I give up. Too hard. How many do we need to lose? Probably 10? Bring in 6 ?

26-29 years of age (9)
22-25 years of age (7)
18-21 years of age (16)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I half think we'll keep Walker- but tbh I think there must be something up for them to have been kept on the main list for as long as they have and not have been given opportunity. Ross was a top 5 VFL goal kicker last year but hasn't been afforded the opportunity with us- from the scraps of footage we've seen of him over the years I think he mightn't have an AFL standard work ethic/ might not work hard enough defensively. Walker keeps breaking down and I'm not sure how much time he will be afforded given there are apparently players above him in the pecking order- I think any other year both players would be afforded more time, but due to the list changes I think they're most likely to cop a boot

Walker see above. Golds I think would be stiff not to get a deal, but I think Covid has messed him around quite a bit here.
Sad to see the Irish lads leave tbh, I think they've both shown they have what it takes but just not for anywhere near long enough periods of time and I don't think we're in a position as a list to have those kinds of development spots on the list.
It is walkers second season. Be unlucky to be cut after a very promising first season and a shit show of a year this year.

It is walkers second season. Be unlucky to be cut after a very promising first season and a sh*t show of a year this year.
Looked quite good in the nab cup against Brisbane I think it was. Has talent for sure. Defs worth keeping on the list spot, he was rated as the number 1 prospect when he was 16, stalled a bit since then.

The AFL might cushion the blow this year, with smaller cuts to list sizes, and then ramp up for a couple of years. It will be too hard on clubs to prune so many players so quickly.

I'd reckon they want to trim 1m salary per club next year, and more the year after. What was their overdraft this year, $500 m?

The AFL might cushion the blow this year, with smaller cuts to list sizes, and then ramp up for a couple of years. It will be too hard on clubs to prune so many players so quickly.

I'd reckon they want to trim 1m salary per club next year, and more the year after. What was their overdraft this year, $500 m?

Very hard for the AFL to enforce any significant list cuts this year with clubs having no notice from last year and having plenty of players already contracted. Unless they provide some sort of payout allowance but then you're not really saving money anyway.

What are people hearing about Kosi next year? I mentioned earlier this year that some VFL watchers I'd spoken to thought he was miles off it, but I was shot down in flames by a number of posters. Wondering where that is at.
He has had a torrid time injury wise but it is fair to say he hadnt set the world on fire even in pre season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back