Analysis Should we be pursuing a secondary market post-Hobart? If yes, then where?

Remove this Banner Ad

I recently attended a Mars Stadium development information session. The main speakers were from Development Victoria and the Ballarat Council. The lead DV spokesman suggested that North Melbourne might play a couple of games per season at Mars Stadium. I responded that the Western Bulldogs would seriously push back against that. With the pending loss of Hobart as a base, the North Melbourne Football Club must now start planning for what its future will be beyond Tasmania. The club has some serious decisions to make, but the issue is that these decisions must start being planned for now. As I see it, we have three options if we want to remain a Victorian based club (And in no particular order of preference, that is what I pose to you the forum members):

• Option 1. Do we simply return to Melbourne and try to eek out an existence at Marvel Stadium?
  • Option 2. Do we fight to re-claim Ballarat from the Western Bulldogs? Where it seems that their supporters seem to think that they are getting a bad deal. Apparently, they hate having to play games outside Melbourne. Further to this, the Bulldogs contract with Ballarat is due for renewal later this year. They could possibly pull the pin on the fact that the stadium isn't getting expanded to hold 20,000 as they've been pitching for. Future expansion is only planned for when a train station/platform is eventually built. They have some objection to having to drive an hour and a half to see their team play 2 well-sponsored home games per season in Ballarat. Trust me folks, some of their supporters are silly enough to believe that their club can win over the 600,000 Western Melbourne Sub-Continental immigrants (who follow cricket and soccer), play all of their future games for a profit at Marvel Stadium and dump Ballarat altogether. They see no merit or benefit in growing their club beyond Melbourne's tram tracks.
  • Option 3. Start a case now four years out before we are finally booted out of Hobart to establish a Mars Stadium like facility in Bendigo at the Queen Elizabeth Oval and adopt Bendigo as the Northern Victoria country heartland of North Melbourne? There is merit to doing this, it would ultimately pitch Ballarat against Bendigo as Bulldogs v North Melbourne territories. Having a second sponsored home base would continue to fill the club's meagre coffers, and it allows North Melbourne supporters in Victoria to at least drive or to catch a train to two games outside Melbourne each season instead of the current alternative which is expensive Kayo subscription or a plane ride to Tasmania.
Consider the potential of the QEO in Bendigo below against Mars Stadium as it has developed in Ballarat. What should we do? Study the images below and leave your thoughts.

queen-elizabeth-oval.jpg
The QEO above has certain advantages over Mars Stadium. It is centrally located in the city of Bendigo and only 1 km walk to the railway station up the roadto the right of the oval (View Street).

r9_418_3990_2667_w3990_h2667_fmax.jpg
Ballarat's Mars Stadium has evolved a lot since we were white-anted by the Bulldogs in 2015 It will be developed more in the coming years with its next stage of development to be completed in 2026. There are further upgrades planned beyond that, but those will not emerge until at least 2030. Presently its main disadvantages include poor lighting, an adjacent train line but no train platform planned for several years, and local council-imposes a limit on its capacity due to car parking limitations and lack of immediate train access.

Architectural-TP-Render-Images_Page_1.jpg
The image above shows the next stage of Ballarat's development by September 2026 where the old showgrounds are presently being demolished to build a new athletics centre and two new grandstands will replace the present standing hill at the main stadium. ... And yes all the buildings and grass within a 1 km radius will be painted white ;) Future upgrades planned beyond 2026 include an eventual train platform, removal of the roof on the small Eastern Stand (bottom right) to extend its seating to replicate the two new stands (increase capacity to 15,000) and upgrades to the stadium's lighting.

Last edited:
I'm pro Bendigo. Better to have a second home that's close enough to get a V-Line, makes geographical sense, and probably couldn't ever host a full-time AFL team (so no talk of relocation). It could be like Ballarat has been for the Bulldogs (although if they want out of Ballarat we should jump at that opportunity immediately).

Hearing we are going to Darwin for our new interstate home games and Gold Coast are going move out of Darwin and head further North to play their games in Cairns...Not gospel but early inside info.

Can't even begin to express how disappointed I'd be.

Are there AFL ready stadiums/facilities in the Gippsland region? Wouldn’t be against hosting a game or two that way and helping foster some local talent?

Hearing we are going to Darwin for our new interstate home games and Gold Coast are going move out of Darwin and head further North to play their games in Cairns...Not gospel but early inside info.
This was raised earlier in the year in the media and if it's for 2 games then I think it can work.

Anymore than that then we are imposing a heavy burden on the players in terms of travel, playing conditions and recovery.

Playing 2 home games in Darwin would work well if done right, play the games back to back like GC do and the players/staff stay the week up there and we have our bye the week after. 9 home games at Marvel is better with 2 in Darwin than 7 home games at Marvel and 4 in a secondary market even if its closer than Darwin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you consider how well we play Marvel and we are getting better there, each time we play there....

If you want evidence, look at our last 3 games at the venue - GC - win, Carlton -game we could have won, Richmond - win.

Imagine playing 11 home games there in 2025...

When you consider how well we play Marvel and we are getting better there, each time we play there....

If you want evidence, look at our last 3 games at the venue - GC - win, Carlton -game we could have won, Richmond - win.

Imagine playing 11 home games there in 2025...
This wont happen as we are still contracted to play in Tassie....

Absolute ****ing bullshit that they be doing this.

And I don't wanna see ''well other clubs do it'' as a bail out excuse. The loyal members in Victoria have been getting ****ed over for years and it seems this is gonna continue.

Hope this is wrong.

Absolute ****ing bullshit that they be doing this.

And I don't wanna see ''well other clubs do it'' as a bail out excuse. The loyal members in Victoria have been getting ****ed over for years and it seems this is gonna continue.

Hope this is wrong.

If this is true, is there any way we the members can challenge this and demand the club demonstrate why this is an economically more sound option than playing 2-3 games a year in Ballarat or Bendigo? Might be time for another, “Keep North South” campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If this is true, is there any way we the members can challenge this and demand the club demonstrate why this is an economically more sound option than playing 2-3 games a year in Ballarat or Bendigo? Might be time for another, “Keep North South” campaign.

I doubt it.

Unless there's a challenge to the board that pledges to keep all of North's home games in Melbourne and we vote on it.

Well, let's see: Northern Territory Tourism pays $500k per game versus Bendigo or Ballarat paying $0 per game. That's going to be a really quick demonstration.

What’s happening with the Hawks then because the early word had been that they were preparing to play some games up in Cairns after they leave Launceston? They already are through their AFLW team.

When the Tassie team come in with a spanking new stadium they will still only have 11 or 12 home games. With all the money invested I think that they’ll be looking to fill it with events as much as possible. I reckon we stay in Tassie and play 2 games there. We’ve already invested a lot of time and money and it’s something for the Tassie members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Should we be pursuing a secondary market post-Hobart? If yes, then where?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back