Analysis Should we be pursuing a secondary market post-Hobart? If yes, then where?

Remove this Banner Ad

When the Tassie team come in with a spanking new stadium they will still only have 11 or 12 home games. With all the money invested I think that they’ll be looking to fill it with events as much as possible. I reckon we stay in Tassie and play 2 games there. We’ve already invested a lot of time and money and it’s something for the Tassie members.

I suspect the AFL might want to gut ours and Hawthorn's support in Tasmania to give the new start-up maximum support. When we made the call to stay in Melbourne rather than relocate to the Gold Coast, the AFL responded with the announcement that a Gold Coast team would be introduced a couple of years later. We still had a contract to play 3 games per season on the Gold Coast for the two years before they came in. The AFL scrapped that deal and had other random teams play those games instead. It was the same reasoning. Prevent any build-up of support for any other team.

My first preference is 11 Home Games at Marvel.

If this is unrealistic 9 Home Games at Marvel and 2 in a large Country Victoria Town (Bendigo, Albury-Wodonga, Shepparton all viable with small stadium upgrades)

Third preference is 9 Home Games at Marvel and 2 somewhere more distant such as Darwin.

We should not be seeking to play more than 2 home games outside of Marvel.

My first preference is 11 Home Games at Marvel.

If this is unrealistic 9 Home Games at Marvel and 2 in a large Country Victoria Town (Bendigo, Albury-Wodonga, Shepparton all viable with small stadium upgrades)

Third preference is 9 Home Games at Marvel and 2 somewhere more distant such as Darwin.

We should not be seeking to play more than 2 home games outside of Marvel.
With the amount of money needed to run a club a Country Victorian town would not be viable when compared to the money North are getting by playing 4 games it tassie. They may do 1 in a country town against an interstate club but that would be it...

What’s happening with the Hawks then because the early word had been that they were preparing to play some games up in Cairns after they leave Launceston? They already are through their AFLW team.
Knowing the AFL if the Hawks keep improving and drwaing in crowds then they will most likely get all their home games back in Melbourne either at Marvel or MCG depending on who they are playing...In this corporate world of footy money talks and the Hawks membership base is better that ours..

In an ideal world we play 11 home games at Marvel however unfortunately that's not going to happen in the immediate future.

I quite like the idea of selling a home game to West Coast and Freo and spending a week in W.A. we've got a big supporter base over there, if we're going to sell interstate games at least do it where we can reward our loyal supporters.

While I don’t think they’ve landed on a plan just yet, it is highly unlikely that the club will be able replicate the Tasmania deal in an alternative market. This mean we should get 1 or 2 home games back in Melbourne, giving those who live in VIC around 15 opportunities to watch North play live depending on the fixture. I don’t think there are alot of viable opportunities when it comes to secondary markets, so we will just have to make do of best available

Hearing we are going to Darwin for our new interstate home games and Gold Coast are going move out of Darwin and head further North to play their games in Cairns...Not gospel but early inside info.

I know at least 1 selfish member who thinks this is the greatest idea ever! Two weeks in Darwin + mid-July = perfection.

Half of Victoria are up here on winter holidays anyway, might as well cash in. The NT will never get their own team, North could really corner the market up here.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know at least 1 selfish member who thinks this is the greatest idea ever! Two weeks in Darwin + mid-July = perfection.

Half of Victoria are up here on winter holidays anyway, might as well cash in. The NT will never get their own team, North could really corner the market up here.

If there's not enough of a market for a full-time team to be viable, is it really that beneficial for us to corner said market?

Personally I'm not thrilled with the idea of playing games in Ballarat, Bendigo or wherever country venue, but you'd think , given the ground has been upgraded, they'd want as many games as possible at Ballarat. What do they play now? Three? What else is it used for apart from local footy and U18?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

If there was enough money in it, I reckon it'd be a great idea.

A couple of things to contribute from me:

• Can someone please post a link where it states our agreement is up in 2025 for Tasmania? I cant find it anywhere.
  • I'm pro Bendigo/Albury Wodonga for matches post the Tasmania arrangement. This makes the most sense for me.
  • I was told recently by a West Coast Eagles sponsor that there was essentially a handshake agreement between North and West Coast to sell them our round 1, 2023 home fixture. West Coast had agreed upon a VERY sizeable amount to hand to North. This was vetoed at the 11th hour by the AFL. Talks are ongoing for 2025 and beyond for this to potentially occur. The belief in WA is this will occur. They are also talking to St.Kilda about doing the same, as is Freo.

When the Tassie team come in with a spanking new stadium they will still only have 11 or 12 home games. With all the money invested I think that they’ll be looking to fill it with events as much as possible. I reckon we stay in Tassie and play 2 games there. We’ve already invested a lot of time and money and it’s something for the Tassie members.
The most consistent thing I hear Luke72 re North leaving Tas, is North’s “home” game v Tassie, will be played IN Tassie.

It’s very early days, but conversations are taking place at various levels.

Knowing the AFL if the Hawks keep improving and drwaing in crowds then they will most likely get all their home games back in Melbourne either at Marvel or MCG depending on who they are playing...In this corporate world of footy money talks and the Hawks membership base is better that ours..
I don't know about that. Hawthorn won 4 premierships and were at their most successful and popular crowd drawing best yet they kept playing games in Tasmania, even though they had a strong non-football revenue stream through their pokies venues. I don't think they will ever play 11 home games in Melbourne if they didn't during the 2012-2015 period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Can someone please post a link where it states our agreement is up in 2025 for Tasmania? I cant find it anywhere.
  • I'm pro Bendigo/Albury Wodonga for matches post the Tasmania arrangement. This makes the most sense for me.
  • I was told recently by a West Coast Eagles sponsor that there was essentially a handshake agreement between North and West Coast to sell them our round 1, 2023 home fixture. West Coast had agreed upon a VERY sizeable amount to hand to North. This was vetoed at the 11th hour by the AFL. Talks are ongoing for 2025 and beyond for this to potentially occur. The belief in WA is this will occur. They are also talking to St.Kilda about doing the same, as is Freo.

The AFL has resisted these opportunities in the past due to unfair competitive advantage in the fixture (as if the AFL doesn't rig the fixture for their own benefit). However, I think they will reverse course on this as it will become a politically expedient solution to the Perth clubs whining about unfair travel requirements across a season.

Personally I'm not thrilled with the idea of playing games in Ballarat, Bendigo or wherever country venue, but you'd think , given the ground has been upgraded, they'd want as many games as possible at Ballarat. What do they play now? Three? What else is it used for apart from local footy and U18?

Just two games of AFL per season and one AFLW which is due to be reviewed end of this season.

The most consistent thing I hear Luke72 re North leaving Tas, is North’s “home” game v Tassie, will be played IN Tassie.

It’s very early days, but conversations are taking place at various levels.
Yeah that wouldn’t surprise me. We have a history of walking away from areas we have invested time in. I think there’s an opportunity to make this work. Like most I would prefer it was only two games at most.

The AFL has resisted these opportunities in the past due to unfair competitive advantage in the fixture (as if the AFL doesn't rig the fixture for their own benefit). However, I think they will reverse course on this as it will become a politically expedient solution to the Perth clubs whining about unfair travel requirements across a season.

Correct.

If you truly look at it from an equality standpoint, the WA clubs are treated so so poorly.

If there's not enough of a market for a full-time team to be viable, is it really that beneficial for us to corner said market?

Yes, I think it is. The NT has produced some significant talent over the years and we need to seriously look at owning it. Other than the sugar-hit ($$$$) we get from playing a couple of games here we can then seriously justify having the NT zoned to our academy. Tassie coming into the league is giving us a great opportunity to look North.

How would our team look with May, Rioli(s), Motlop(s), Coleman etc all picked up for cheap as academy selections..

l think you will find negotiations are already underway between the AFL and North to stay there until the Tassie team is up and running. Kaching $$$$$$$ :grin:

Can someone remind what injuries FOS has had this year and why it's impacted him so much?
Thumb and finger injury caused him to miss early on and then had to go in and have surgery on the finger which was another 6 weeks out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Should we be pursuing a secondary market post-Hobart? If yes, then where?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back