Analysis Should we be pursuing a secondary market post-Hobart? If yes, then where?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do the dogs get any financial benefits from playing there
I don't know the full details but you would hope to have a large piece of the signage fence advertising and maybe catering and pourage (alcohol) sales at the Ballarat stadium. The AFL swallows up all of that at Docklands.

They don't have to pay for Docklands.
I think they get something from Vic govt and Ballarat council, but not sure. The big thing is, They don't have to pay for Docklands. Even with AFL ownership and improved deals that place is ridiculously expensive.

Again, don't quote me on this, but I'm sure it's a long way from the bad old days when we were having to cut a $100k cheque to Ian Collins to play a low drawing opponent at Docklands. With the current deal, I don't believe that we have to literally pay the owners to play there anymore, but the profit margins mean that we make bugger all from any game with a crowd under 30k.

MCG tenant clubs are required to play games at Marvel and they don't want to play there. I have not checked the fixture but I am sure that Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond and Melbourne have played home games there this year. Essendon and Carlton want to play more games at the MCG. We should be getting those clubs to cut us a cheque so that we can can play at Marvel and they can play their games at the MCG. It would be a bonus if we drew some of those clubs as the away team so that we can get a few more games at the 'G.

I’ve been thinking about this topic a bit lately. I am Hobart based but also travel to watch the team at Marvel each year. I feel the best thing for our on field performance right now is playing the 4 games in Melb.

Bellerive used to be somewhat of a fortress when it was novel and we were a better team but we are more chance at 4 points under the lid these days. Plus while it’s not a long trip it’s still travel and sleeping somewhere other than your own bed for another month of the season.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll miss being able to watch them so easily and let’s be honest a little excited for a Tas team, but I just really hope the numbers are such, particularly with crowds returning as we improve, that we can make Marvel work and find another “home”. Maybe a couple of weeks straight in Perth each season is all we will need?

Whattttt
The
Fffffffkkkkk

Is there not a Victorian region (Gippsland?) that we could host a game?
Nahhh we have a grouse cohort of perth members. I like it. One game. We play good there 😂 plus its the same size as the G, need all the practice we can get.

We need to host GWS and Gold Coast at Arden St

Hasn't this already been knocked back in the past due to giving the WA teams an advantage?

Correct.

In late 2022 there was a handshake agreement between North Melbourne and West Coast to sell our round 1 home game to them.

We were essentially going to hub in Perth for rounds 1 and 2, as the Fremantle game was already scheduled.

It was done. Parties had agreed, dollar value agreed, (7 figures to North, WCE make on avergae just under 5 million per game anyway).

AFL Knocked it on the head due to competition rules at the 11th hour. There was a press release drafted.

This is from the horses mouth at West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If selling 1 game to WA gets us the same (or more) than we get from our Tasmanian deal, and we genuinely investigated all viable Victorian-based options (ala Ballarat/Bendigo/etc)... then I guess I can live with it.

I hate that this is our lot though.

Hang on - does that mean we only get 6 games now in Melbourne - after we have just been automatically renewed and we weren't told that we would lose 1/7 of our value? Hmmmm...

Edit - just listened to the clip - it would be 3 in Tassie and 1 in Perth next year.

Still let's wait and see.

Hang on - does that mean we only get 6 games now in Melbourne - after we have just been automatically renewed and we weren't told that we would lose 1/7 of our value? Hmmmm...

That's... actually a really good question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Should we be pursuing a secondary market post-Hobart? If yes, then where?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back