Analysis Should we be pursuing a secondary market post-Hobart? If yes, then where?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd only accept this if the other three tassie games were back in Melbourne. Try and get an MCG home game or two.
I rekon it will end up at 2 games in Perth vs each team, from memory we make 5-600k per tassie game? so that's 2 mill give or take and if the reporting is it will be 1mill per game in Perth you can see where it is heading, 9 games in Melbourne 2 in Perth

Honestly better than Tassie. people are so rusted on to clubs there (aren't Collingwood, Richmond, and Hawthorn massive down there?) to the extent I worry if Tasmania's own team will end up a second side for half its ticket holders.

North are genuinely a fairly biggish side in WA; not far behind Carlton and Essendon and I'd say alongside Geelong.

Lots of people like the footy and if anything, the divide between the Eagles and Freo is the softest it's ever been. more people just seem to be into the game than as passionate about one or the other anymore.

Get over there when you're on the rise and it'll be a canny little move. I mean even 'new frontiers' like the Gold Coast, most people there just watch the Suns. they already have a team they support.

Do some cheap tickets and you'll do well. the appetite for neutral games was massive during Covid and frankly don't see it dying down. people love going to Optus and going to the footy. make the tickets affordable and you could carve a very nice niche. all these expansion markets are just too hard to make a serious dent in. Hawks don't own Tassie and yet they've been there for 20 years and had some of the greatest players and teams of the last 30 years down there every couple of months. winning over Darwin or Alice where it's just excited young kids or Cairns or Townsville where its noveltyville won't work.

Do it now while you're an up and coming team and get people emotionally involved in the rise.

IF we can get the same $$ playing two home games in Perth as 4 in Tassie and IF that means two more games in Melbourne as home games (with approx same financial outcome) , possible more membership though so another plus - then I am all for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems those in charge have no other play in their playbook other than ‘sell games’.
What would you do out of interest? The only non-selling option I can see is copping a 100k fine to move a game from Marvel to play at the MCG against a bigger drawing club (i.e. Good Friday). At least this delivers something to 8k members in WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Should we be pursuing a secondary market post-Hobart? If yes, then where?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back