Should we have used the Bling pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

No

Because our recruiters paid over the odds on every single player chosen last night and from our 2nd pick onwards we were paying huge premiums for the players drafted. Only Conca and the Ruckman were at about the right level. Batchelor was a 60+ pick, Helbig the same. Pick 30 we should have taken someone like Parker. I hope our drafted kids work out but last night RFC took massive risks and took players way to early- and that is something I was told by someone in the football industry less than 1 hour ago.

Re: Getting nervous about not using our comp pick!

we should be nervous using any of our picks after last night. not using the compo pick may be a blessing in disguise.

Can't believe the push to use the compo pick. If you listen to Emma Quayle, this year's pick 26 would have been pick 35+ in an uncompromised draft. I'll take pick 19 in a few years thanks.

There will be someone at #19 for you to fall in love with in 2012, amcre. :)

What is better?

Picks 6, 26, 31 in a diluted draft from finishing 15th

or something like

Picks 9, 20, 29 in an undiluted, reportedly strong draft from finishing 8th in say 2010.

Personally I'd prefer the second scenario, another good pick when they will be harder to come by, maintains the quality of youth coming in for sustained success. No need to take all the kids at once.

You sure? Wouldn't our compo pick have come after North's??

People are only saying we should use it because they don't know who will be in the draft pool over the next few years. Could be even better players availabale by then :)

Before. It is the reverse order of the team's finishing position, our compo pick was Hawthorn's so anyone who ended up below the Hawks who used a compo pick would have gone before us.

You could get someone really good, but you have to make the call to use the pick before round 1 of the H&A season so you wont have a good idea what the depth of talent is like before you get to make the call.

No

Because our recruiters paid over the odds on every single player chosen last night and from our 2nd pick onwards we were paying huge premiums for the players drafted. Only Conca and the Ruckman were at about the right level. Batchelor was a 60+ pick, Helbig the same. Pick 30 we should have taken someone like Parker. I hope our drafted kids work out but last night RFC took massive risks and took players way to early- and that is something I was told by someone in the football industry less than 1 hour ago.

FYI, it was said on radio (Greg Denham I think) this morning that the Bombers were going to take Helbig one pick later than when we took him. (They could've taken him with the pick we were offering for Houli). Lets face it, so much is speculation.

I think we made the right move in banking it.

One of the big focuses of this rebuild under Hardwick has been no short cuts.

Sure I would have loved to have added Harper or Lycett with the compo pick but in a couple of years that pick in the late 20's becomes inside the top 20 and in this draft that translates to a Isaac Smith, Jayden Pitt or Jed Lamb.

Right now it seems devastating to have missed out on adding another quality prospect but let's not forget we have a fair few promising prospects down at the club already.

The club is following a blueprint :cool: to quote Dimma. They are structuring the age of the players on the list in regards to future campaigns.

It was the right call to bank it - which we will all realise in a couple of years when we pick up a beauty inside the top 20 to inject some top line youth into our blossoming team!

Just think — normally when a guy gets drafted, people moan about who we could have taken instead.

The poor bugger we pick up in 2012 or 2013 will be compared to everyone we could have taken from the last three or four drafts.

Wrapt we kept the pick. It's value may be worth more in an uncompromised draft, and depending on what we require, we may be able to onsell it to secure a wanted player later on. All good.

Totally agree cb17. No need to get too excited. See how we go with what we got and see what we need in a couple of years. Whether that's a young KPP or midfielder or on-trade it for a mature AFL player, it doesn't really matter.

We would have jumped the gun a bit, I think.

The club are building a war chest for when free agency comes in. Money and picks. Wouldn't surprise if we traded for another bankable pick next year.

The club are building a war chest for when free agency comes in. Money and picks. Wouldn't surprise if we traded for another bankable pick next year.

Absolutely:thumbsu:

Good post

I don't think we can judge the clubs decision until the scenario plays itself right out.

If we use the pick down the road and select someone who goes onto be a 200 game, premiership player with us - We won't be complaining.

It's too early to make a judgement call on the clubs strategy.

So how are you feeling Amcre?:D

Terrible lol. We should have used it.

Harper imo is one of the most talented guys in this draft but was injured this year. Add him to our midfield/HFF and we look even more potent.

I am sorry but banking the pick will not give us pick 20 anyone expecting that is delusional. There are something like 6 compo picks atm and guess when the clubs will use them.....2012. Not to mention their will be another 5-6 because of GWS.

Really think that you need to look at the quality of the player that was available instead of the lowness of the actual pick though. Was happy with harper at 6 let alone bloody 26.......

BIG BIG MISTAKE!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could get someone really good, but you have to make the call to use the pick before round 1 of the H&A season so you wont have a good idea what the depth of talent is like before you get to make the call.
Recruiters already have a good idea of the depth of talent by watching the under 16s. They are raving about this year's under 16s, who will be 2012's u/18s.

Harper imo is one of the most talented guys in this draft but was injured this year. Add him to our midfield/HFF and we look even more potent.

I am sorry but banking the pick will not give us pick 20 anyone expecting that is delusional. There are something like 6 compo picks atm and guess when the clubs will use them.....2012. Not to mention their will be another 5-6 because of GWS.
Why's that amcre? Our compo pick will be able to be used before most. Pick 25 at the latest I'm guessing. And what if we trade it for one of GWS's 17-year-olds who would have gone top-10? Or Josh Toy? Keeping it gives us options. I am a huge Harper fan too but there'll be others like him. Besides, now that he's a North player, he's injury-prone, inconsistent and unable to adapt to team structures. ;)

even if we did use the compo pick, FJ mentioned the club was interested in Lycett and Darling, haven't heard anyone mention we were looking at Harper so he might not have come to us anyway.

The club had to make an early decision about who they thought might be available, and how this might compare to a low 20s pick in 2012, given all the circumstances, including that there were players taken out of this draft pool, 2012 is reported as a strong draft, the age and spread of the players on our list and the likely fact that we will finish higher in 2012, the club must believe, as do I, that banking it was the best option. It's time to have faith in them - to me it's a no brainer, they made the right choice given the circumstances.

Really think that you need to look at the quality of the player that was available instead of the lowness of the actual pick though. Was happy with harper at 6 let alone bloody 26.......

BIG BIG MISTAKE!

What a bullshit statement. Each club with compo picks had to nominate about a week or so out as to whether they were going to use them. How on earth would they have known that your love-child was going to be still available at pick whatever.

You talk through your arse mate.

:rolleyes:

BIG BIG MISTAKE!
Who says we'll use the pick in 2012? We can use it anytime between now and 2014. Say everyone else uses their picks in 2012 and we don't, come 2013-14 we'll be assured of pick 19. That would mean 2 top 20 picks are guaranteed before the season even began or any trading.

What a bullshit statement. Each club with compo picks had to nominate about a week or so out as to whether they were going to use them. How on earth would they have known that your love-child was going to be still available at pick whatever.

You talk through your arse mate.

Well pretty sure most people new this kid and talented others would be around at 26...hence this thread was started pre draft knob!

2012 there will be that many compo picks being used it will be a similar pick to this draft...say 25. Now I know this draft was compromised but it was also ridiculously strong....2012 may be strong but it would have been better to get another kid now who is gunning it in 2013/2014 when we are pushing for finals/premiership, than a first year player at this time who is just trying to get a gig in the side.

Looking at the strength of the top 30 in this draft it would have been better to use it imo. way to talk out of your ass with a statement about nominating a week out...how does that matter?

Well pretty sure most people new this kid and talented others would be around at 26...hence this thread was started pre draft knob!

2012 there will be that many compo picks being used it will be a similar pick to this draft...say 25. Now I know this draft was compromised but it was also ridiculously strong....2012 may be strong but it would have been better to get another kid now who is gunning it in 2013/2014 when we are pushing for finals/premiership, than a first year player at this time who is just trying to get a gig in the side.

Looking at the strength of the top 30 in this draft it would have been better to use it imo. way to talk out of your ass with a statement about nominating a week out...how does that matter?
It can be used up to the year 2014. We will get pick 19-21 somehow or another and it will give us a better kid than if we used it this year (given probabilities). I would rather we get a top player at pick 19 just before we rise up the ladder to give us a little boost where we need it. Remember... no shortcuts, the club knows this and I was saying it before they decided to bank the thing.

Well if thats the case, clearly the RFC doesnt rate him.

Cant believe l even had to write that. Should l draw you a picture?

Apparently they were speaking with him.

If they didn't rate him I would be very suprised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we have used the Bling pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back