Send him to the draft?

• Yes

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 56.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No.

But Sam Power should fill out any paperwork incorrectly referencing "Roarke" Smith, especially if the deal is still in the balance with only minutes left. Then let the AFL sort out the mess. 😄

No.

But Sam Power should fill out any paperwork incorrectly referencing "Roarke" Smith, especially if the I deal is still in the balance with only minutes left. Then let the AFL sort out the mess. 😄
I don’t mind this… just write ‘Get Fu@ked’ across the paperwork in big red letters and hand it in.

Off to the draft he goes.
We have to indicate to the AFL that grooming a contracted player for 24 months is not acceptable.
The club also has to implement a policy that ensures trades do not strengthen our main competitors if like for like cannot be achieved. In other words, a no disadvantage rule.
We are not a charity.

Off to the draft he goes.
We have to indicate to the AFL that grooming a contracted player for 24 months is not acceptable.
The club also has to implement a policy that ensures trades do not strengthen our main competitors if like for like cannot be achieved. In other words, a no disadvantage rule.
We are not a charity.
I like the sentiment but the reality is that clubs don’t sit by patiently until after the grand final and then start asking players if they’d like to swap clubs this off season. They are targeting and grooming players 1-2 years out. Geelong did it with Bmith. We did it with Toyd.

Clubs have probably been probing our top 10-20 players every season to see if there’s any unhappiness or a chance they could be prised out. I hope and expect that we would be doing exactly the same with other clubs’ players.

The player managers would be the “facilitators” (I was going to use another word) in the middle of all this. Like real estate agents they probably make more money if the market is in a state of churn so it’s in their interests for movements to happen too. And they would possess a wealth of juicy information about both sides of the market.

Clubs and individual list managers cannot fix the system with brave unilateral action. It needs significant tuning if not a full overhaul. And that means the AFL must act. I think that is unlikely, and us walking Bmith to the draft won’t be a sufficient trigger for it. So all that would happen is we retain the moral high ground … and lose a first round selection that we would otherwise have got.

Also those clubs (you know the ones I mean) that are starting to benefit year after year from the current system will be pushing back hard behind closed doors in the unlikely event that the AFL starts floating ideas about egalitarian reform.

No.

But Sam Power should fill out any paperwork incorrectly referencing "Roarke" Smith, especially if the deal is still in the balance with only minutes left. Then let the AFL sort out the mess. 😄

As long as it’s not Rohan or Clay, I don’t want to take the risk of the Cats getting their filthy paws on our boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we send Smith to the Draft

Back