Sierakowski now a Roo!

Remove this Banner Ad

The query for mine will be his strength in the one on ones at AFL level and whether he is quick enough to get out of trouble with the ball. The latter he looks like he will be ok and he can use the ball.

He aint soft. He has been on the hawthorn weights program (no bulk) so he lacks a bit of upper body strength.

Seems to me that we were going to delist him.

Will follow him closely at the Kangas and really hope he goes well. Disappointed we have moved him on.

After three years on the list Sirra has buggar all upper body development. This is his weakness - a lack of strength. Probably not his fault, we tend to train players to be runners.

No issues. Not sure whose place in the team he'd take and there's plenty of cover for him.

Good luck to him at North. Glad we didn't swap for Campbell, his last good year was our last premiership year.

Don't rate him tbh. (Sorry North fans)

Thanks for your responses everyone. I would have thought that given he's a good contested mark he'd be a pretty good defender. I guess not.

Wouldn't play games for Hawthorn. Probably will for North, such is the difference of the two lists quality at the minute.

Just like David Hale would have only played 1 game for us this year.

Thanks for your responses everyone. I would have thought that given he's a good contested mark he'd be a pretty good defender. I guess not.

Just like David Hale would have only played 1 game for us this year.

Ruck is the only area you are stronger than us. An exception is what Hale is

I think Siera will be a solid consistent player for North. Like so many of our depth players I believe they just need the opportunity. I certainly have never noticed him being soft but probably not he aggression or hardness of a Lewis/Sewell, but not alot do.
He doesn't have many obvious floors but doesnt have x factor either. Although i am sick of the expression at Hawthorn - foot soldier - it probably does describe him well.
I sincerely wish him all the best. He is a good bloke and hard working, just lost some confidence and got a little frustrated late in the year when emergency, missing games at BHH etc. It can get to some players when it happens for so many weeks.

North fans have already nicknamed him "who?" which was the response they all made when they heard about the deal:p:D

Cheers to the poster who predicted this trade and let us know on here, albeit in code. I laughed when I heard the news. :thumbsu:

Jack Ziebell was on SEN this morning and mentioned that Will has led all comers in all the running and endurance training drills in Utah.:thumbsu:

Jack Ziebell was on SEN this morning and mentioned that Will has led all comers in all the running and endurance training drills in Utah.:thumbsu:

Why did we let him go then? Sounds like he must be elite in this area, when we are a team that needs more run.

:confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did we let him go then? Sounds like he must be elite in this area, when we are a team that needs more run.

Even if he is you should know better than to be confused about this CLA. It takes more than elite endurance to endear yourself to a football list. Just ask ole timmy clarke.

P.S its just that we have quite a few on our list of his type mate

Siera has been a massive surprise, i don't think anyone at the club expected him to beat bastinac,greenwood and grima in 2km time trials.
Seems he doesn't have many flaws, good kick,pace and endurance.

Siera has been a massive surprise, i don't think anyone at the club expected him to beat bastinac,greenwood and grima in 2km time trials.
Seems he doesn't have many flaws, good kick,pace and endurance.

Yep he always been a good kick and has reasonable pace and endurance (which he may have improved on) In fact he started the year off on fire and nearly got a game for the seniors before his form tapered off and he ended up getting traded.

It is probably about opportunity, we had Rawlings and Pratt retire and Urquhart is on the way out, there is an opportunity for him to walk in and secure a half back flank position. Would be difficult for him to push some Hawthorn half back flankers out of the side, your best defenders imo fill these roles.

It is probably about opportunity, we had Rawlings and Pratt retire and Urquhart is on the way out, there is an opportunity for him to walk in and secure a half back flank position. Would be difficult for him to push some Hawthorn half back flankers out of the side, your best defenders imo fill these roles.

True. He's developed well at Hawthorn. Was close to senior selection last season but his form really fell away. all the best to him at the Roos - he's worked bloody hard and deserves a shot at it.

A combination of factors.

As the 4P points out we already have a few 187cm-ish HBFs in the team. Even at VFL level, Mirra, who is a very very similar type of player, is ahead of him as a player and a year younger.

As FT has pointed out he lacks upper body strength. It is fair to say he does really have the body to take the serious hits dished out at AFL level as opposed to a player like Chaney.

He is not versatile. He is a HBF and that is about that. He does not do well out on the wing which is strange, as you'd think his running capacity would come in handy. Perhaps one day that might change. Also he is a bit light for an AFL back pocket type (ha! ha! showing my age ...) i.e. marking a small quick forward like Murphy does.

As other posters have already mentioned he is very one sided just like so many of our existing left footers. It might be ok as a forward to be one sided, or perhaps anything is ok if you are Buddy, but defenders particularly HBF's can get boxed in against the boundary and then they are stuffed e.g . Birchall and Suckling (particulary that incident in the QF where he just fell to ground in the tackle on the boundary on the AFL members/Ponsford stand HBF).

Most importantly, in my estimatation, is that Clarko (and every other Hawks supporter) believes we are currently in premiership contention mode, so we need to focus on players who can give us something on the field next year and for the next three seasons. Of course why they dropped Ladson is beyond me as he was a very solid depth player. :(

So ... I believe that they are loading up on players than can make a serious contribution in this time frame. Hence Bruce (why oh lord, why ???), Smith and Puopolo were added last year, and Gunstan in the latest trade period (although he might not make much impact until 2013-4). I would be surprised if we weren't looking a ready made player or at least early/quick developer (a mid perhaps) or two in this draft as well.

If Siera were on our senior list for next season then he'd have to be gifted some development games next year against some weaker sides.

Unfortunately, he would be too raw to provide reliable immediate depth against the better teams teams in the AFL, should all of our senior third tall and medium defenders fall over e.g. Gibson, Stratts, Murphy, Birchall, Suckling, Ellis, Burgoyne & Chaney, and we desperately needed another HBF. Even then he'd probably be behind Litherland & Langers for the call up.

To be realistic about his development, he'd probably need about three year of being eased into AFL footy to establish himself at that level. This like a lot of young players who take a few years post debut to find their feet e.g. Suckling, Schoey, Wx . At the end of that period you'd have to ask would be be good enough to be a regular 22 player for us or even in our best 30 of regular senior players.

I am fairly sure that Clarko et al. have decided that he probably would not make the grade as a best 22 player, so the club has decided that it would be better to use a list vacancy for another player would could fill another more pressing need over the coming years or has a real chance of one day being in the best 22.

After all, I am sure the club is persisting and will continue to persist with Hallahan, Langford, Lowden & Litherland because one day they believe they should be serious contenders for being in the 22. Whereas Grimely, Duryea, Schneider & Wangers are more in the wait and see category.

Clearly the club has decided that Siera is not quite good enough to persist with given the limited number of roles he could fulfill and the competition against him from our existing players.

As an aside, looking at our list we have exactly 30 players that have all proved that they can play competent AFL level footy (includes Gilham and Roughy coming back from injury, and also Bruce, but excludes Gunston). Which is about the number of properly blooded players a team needs to make a serious challenge for the flag.

I am unsure if that is a good reflection on Siera or a bad one on the fitness of our senior listed players:confused:

Thanks guys. It just interests me that we would let him go, and then supposedly show interest in The Mosquito.

Whilst we have plenty of tall medium HBFs Mosquito is reputedly more of a superquick small creative defender.

By my count we only have one of those on the list, namely Puopolo. Duryea might be being played as a small defender at BH but I can't say that he is superquick or even that quick at all that I've ever noticed.

So if this Mosquito player is really that good, then given our dearth of quick small defenders, he would be well worth a look. I can imagine anyone here complaining if we picked up another Puopolo.

Anyway the recruiters have to cast a very wide net and look at hundreds of players to narrrow it down to the two or three we might draft this year plus a few rookies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sierakowski now a Roo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back