Silver? Teal and Black and white

Remove this Banner Ad

vpi9s9.jpg

Holy crap, these look freaking iconic. I reckon these could just about be as good as it gets in terms of the fact we will never get to permanently wear any form of Prison Bars in the AFL, the black over white V immediately brings to my mind the PA Magpies jumper. Also craps allover our current away guernsey and massively supercedes anything else similar within the AFL, ala the bombers.

Port Adelaide Greys

Holy crap, these look freaking iconic. I reckon these could just about be as good as it gets in terms of the fact we will never get to permanently wear any form of Prison Bars in the AFL, the black over white V immediately brings to my mind the PA Magpies jumper. Also craps allover our current away guernsey and massively supercedes anything else similar within the AFL, ala the bombers.

We can wear a prison bar design, just not with black and white stripes. Even Eddie has said that's ok so it has AFL approval. ;)

I might be unpopular here

But why is everyone so desperate to wear the prison bars? Our gurnsey is one of the better ones atm and would be very appealing to new football supporters

That gray one looks sick though, I want that as an away top

Because the prison bars came to symbolise strength, ferocity, tradition and success. It is a unique symbol in international sport. The world of sport is full of stripes but no other team of any note in any sport anywhere had quite that design. So distinctive and recognisable, I was stopped in London in 1980 by people, presumably from interstate, who knew the jumper and Englishmen would ask me about it. Its like Sampson's hair and we all know it has inspired some ordinary footballers to do extraordinary things.

For many of us too, it brings back memories of our first ever game of footy at age 5 when Pappa took us to Alberton and we watched in awe as the giant warriors wore the prison bars onto the battlefield.

We can have all the "We are Port Adelaide" campaigns we like, but nothing shouts "Port Adelaide" like the visual image of the prison bars. The strength of the image has not dimmed in the last 15 years and is still loved by many and, just as importantly, hated by more.

Does that answer your question?

Because the prison bars came to symbolise strength, ferocity, tradition and success. It is a unique symbol in international sport. The world of sport is full of stripes but no other team of any note in any sport anywhere had quite that design. So distinctive and recognisable, I was stopped in London in 1980 by people, presumably from interstate, who knew the jumper and Englishmen would ask me about it. Its like Sampson's hair and we all know it has inspired some ordinary footballers to do extraordinary things.

For many of us too, it brings back memories of our first ever game of footy at age 5 when Pappa took us to Alberton and we watched in awe as the giant warriors wore the prison bars onto the battlefield.

We can have all the "We are Port Adelaide" campaigns we like, but nothing shouts "Port Adelaide" like the visual image of the prison bars. The strength of the image has not dimmed in the last 15 years and is still loved by many and, just as importantly, hated by more.

Does that answer your question?

I am aware of what the prison bars represents

But we are trying to grow our brand at the national level. We will never be the port adelaide magpies in the afl. We must grow with the rest of the country

I do think we should get rid of the 'power' part of our name and just be called 'port adelaide'.

I might be unpopular here

But why is everyone so desperate to wear the prison bars? Our gurnsey is one of the better ones atm and would be very appealing to new football supporters

That gray one looks sick though, I want that as an away top

Very true. I like what we have right now. It doesn't look like a red blue and yellow splash of shit. It's a neat guernsey and the best in the league. Like I said before I would like us to play around with black and charcoal. The Heats back in black jersey and Man City's away kit seem like a great fit for us. Hell lets copy the americans and make a special all black guernsey. I'm sure they'll sell.
600_bosh_lebron_wade_black.jpg

cristiano-ronaldo-559-yaya-toure-playing-with-the-new-manchester-city-black-jersey-kit-uniform-against-real-madrid-in-2012-2013.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved it at the time when I was a kid. I just think that colour is hard to use for traditional-looking merch (New Era caps for example).

Though I do love the teal on our on-field gear (but would love to see that silver mock-up in real life).

I love the silver top with black shorts but see it more as a second clash jumper while keeping both of our current guernsey's. Good opportunity for the club to sell more merch if nothing else.

As I mused elsewhere,

Home: Current
Away: Current
3rd/Alternate (ie away to North, Sydney, Geelong): Silver with white/black vee
Retro/Heritage: '57-'96 Prisonbar

I kind of want to see what it looks like with teal instead of white or black. I really like it with the black shorts though.

For a while all of our off field stuff was majority silver/grey

Mrs Tribey has a black Lonsdale jacket with silver and white striping on the arms/across the chest. Looks good as its a rich black with the lighter colours complimenting the overall design.

We're light years beyond the horrible dull black and plain, overpriced crap that Nike shat out with random Power fists, '1996' and other afterthought-inspired rubbish that was nigh-on unsaleable.

You only have to look at the PAFC hoodie and NE caps to see how black can be done well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Silver? Teal and Black and white

Remove this Banner Ad

Back