Simon Taufel - What A Shocker !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Went to Wellington NZ for the weekend and caught a fair bit of the 3rd Test in Trent Bridge b/w the Poms & the Kiwis on the cable TV.

What astounded me was the number of poor decisions umpire Simon Taufel made during the game. Strauss was given out LBW to a ball that would certainly have hit the stumps but was pitched well outside the line of the leg stump, Thorpe got given out caught behind when the ball clipped his thighpad, Scott Styris was given out caught behind attempting a square cut and clearly missed the ball by a few inches, Craig McMillan was given out LBW to a a shooting leg cutter that the Hawkeye view showed that it would have only just nicked the leg stump - where's the benefit of the doubt ?? They are four that I can remember but I'm sure there was another two to go with that lot.

To add insult to injury, the commentators were saying that a Taufel interview in one of the tabloids quoted him as saying that he took into account how enthusiastically they appealed. Well gee whiz Simon, ever thought you might get bluffed a lot using that method ??

All in all, this was a shocker of a match for Taufel and his reputation as one of the leading umpires in the world really took a beating as a result.

Actually the article in question was a big interview in the Daily Telegraph, one of the big broadsheets in England, it's funny becasue the bloke interviewing him said 'by my calculations you had a 92% success rate in the last Test' & Taufel replied 'oh I made it 96%, I reckon I got one wrong out of 28', the article was saying all this stuff about how hard he trained & how much he worked on his game ect & then he had a shocker on the Saturday & the Sunday.

Serves him right.

He gave a couple of LBWs to balls that clearly pitched outside leg stump as well.

Originally posted by DIPPER
Actually the article in question was a big interview in the Daily Telegraph, one of the big broadsheets in England, it's funny becasue the bloke interviewing him said 'by my calculations you had a 92% success rate in the last Test' & Taufel replied 'oh I made it 96%, I reckon I got one wrong out of 28', the article was saying all this stuff about how hard he trained & how much he worked on his game ect & then he had a shocker on the Saturday & the Sunday.

Serves him right.

He gave a couple of LBWs to balls that clearly pitched outside leg stump as well.
I dont subscribe to those sorts of stats, it's like saying a field umpire has a 96% success rate of calling marks, when 98% of them are clear cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Taufel - What A Shocker !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back