News Simonds Stadium Stage 1 Redevelopment - Reg Hickey Stand and new gates

Remove this Banner Ad

Really looking forward to seeing the eastern stand full of cat supporters this weekend. But in my past experiences i know the sun is directly in the eyes when sitting on that side of the ground. Especially come the second half. This could be a major problem for spectators?????? thoughts :confused:

Yeah, was kinda thinking the same when it was being built, I'm on the other side of the ground, so we don't really get any sun but it gets bloody freezing on those nice winter days, so I guess everywhere has its negatives.

I went to Optus Oval for the first time last year and sat in the Legends stand, couldn't see half of the game due to the sun.

Shouldn't be too bad actually...

Quite a few Geelong matches are overcast, so it doesn't affect those games, but having been at Skilled in the afternoon on sunny days, I have seen good portions of the stand under shade.

Time will tell...

nananana catman said:
Apart from doing it from the Brownlow Stand. If only the olds would stop saying stupid things....

lol, you couldn't be more correct with that one. i was a little kid and i kept turning around to the old people behind me correcting their mistakes and thought they hated me. but apparently they didn't as they named thier kid after me! i feel priveleged but it still frustrates the hell out of me listening to them but i keep my frustrations to myself. one old guy next to me is ok because he can barely speak english so i have no idea what he is saying. sorry if this is on another thread but i heard they are having a special ceremony for the new stand. anyone know what time that starts?

hey guys just wondering what your thought on the new stand not increasing the size of the stadium ?
I realise with 30,000 members you can't make it too big but with 30,000 members meaning you would have a lot of supporters who aren't members so why not havea stadium 30+ ? this would also help in the revenue surely ?

I'm probably wrong on this, but I think I read somewhere that the club would like to have increased the capacity to around 35,000 but the AFL said 'No" as it would start to get too close to Telstra in size. Anyone else remember this or am I just making it up? :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pfft, competition for The Dome...why would anyone be worried that a stadium in Geelong would be competition for The Dome!!??! Surely that's conceding that TD is a crap stadium??

patdman said:
pfft, competition for The Dome...why would anyone be worried that a stadium in Geelong would be competition for The Dome!!??! Surely that's conceding that TD is a crap stadium??

Probably because if a struggling team was to play a home game against Geelong down here and get 35,000 theyd make a helluva lot more money than getting 35,000 to the telstra dome.

danny dickvos said:
Really looking forward to seeing the eastern stand full of cat supporters this weekend. But in my past experiences i know the sun is directly in the eyes when sitting on that side of the ground. Especially come the second half. This could be a major problem for spectators?????? thoughts :confused:
Back to the original subject, they kept showing Rodney Eade in the new grandstand, and he was obviously struggling with the sun. Mistake to move the coaches out there.

Jim Boy said:
Back to the original subject, they kept showing Rodney Eade in the new grandstand, and he was obviously struggling with the sun. Mistake to move the coaches out there.

Nah,make the opposition coaches suffer. ;)
Would tinting the windows help or aren't they allowed to because the TV networks wouldn't be able to see the coaches go ape sh*t when they're struggling ?

JUBJUB said:
Nah,make the opposition coaches suffer. ;)
Would tinting the windows help or aren't they allowed to because the TV networks wouldn't be able to see the coaches go ape sh*t when they're struggling ?
The coach's box at the MCG is tinted under the Southern Stand.

Jim Boy said:
Surely they could have the option of relocating back to the original coach's boxes, as they still stand where they have always been.

Yes it would be a longer walk from the rooms, but wouldn't that extra minute be worth saving four quarters of glare, vision problems and suffering in "the worst coach's box in the league"?

Give it 2 or 3 more home games and there will be no sun. Winter in Geelong and the Sun dont come together that often. OVercast is good rain is great especially if we are playing Freo like last year

Well, I think we played our first game there in round 6 last year, so I'm pretty sure they wre just adding the final touches before that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Simonds Stadium Stage 1 Redevelopment - Reg Hickey Stand and new gates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back