News Simpson sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

We had a horrific injury list for the last two years. If only there was a way to speed up recovery and regain fitness.
Yeah short memories and all that.

Didn't the eagles have to play blokes who basically no-one at the club knew their names and shit like that at one stage?

All will be forgotten in 18 months once the next big coaching job is available. Theres multiple head coaches at their 2nd job in the league right now, most didn't win a flag either.

Not many oversaw a period where their team won only 8 games out of 61.

West Coast recruiting, trading has been poor lately that's a fact. not soley on the coach they have had a poor injury run the last few years, I know what it's like we are having a disaster run ourselves in't not an excuse it's reality. the Pies are having it too a bit this year and they aren't in the 8.

Didn't they come out at the beginning of this year and say that their fitness and conditioning weren't up to standards? That's 100% on the coach.

Not surprising and I suspect a plan of direction agreed or understood 12 months ago.

The club nor WA state football could afford the massive soft cap penalty plus the contract payout a year ago. So parties agreed to reassess in 12 months time and see where they are at against KPI's set.

Well in one positive the list isnt decimated by injury as it has been. So thats a plus. It is getting younger and quickly.

Now simply is the right time for a new voice and message. And Simo has done a tough job over four tough years. You can see the stress has taken a toll. He deserves a great sendoff and a well earned break. If he ever wants to coach again there would be plenty of clubs interested.

Thanks for the memories and the flag. :thumbsu:

Serious they are a rabble right now. Pyke couldn't even get it right about whether Simpson will coach this week.

Pretty clear its not completely mutual either and not sure saying that Adam had no more to give. Cracks in the corporate facade.

This is really a bit un-Eagles like.

It was time but the state of their WAFL and AFLW sides show Simpson is just a symptom not the cause. Nisbett is gone but his mates are still running the place.
Didn't Gavin Bell come in as head of footy dept in 2021? The wheels have fallen off since then.

Familiarity breeds contempt, except where money is concerned. He's been on a good wicket dollar wise and very comfortable after that flag. The more familiar you are with a job, the happier you'll be ... at least in principle. But at some point things do come a cropper. This decision would come as no surprise to him after 11 years, he got them a flag and i gather he still wants to do it? Simpson knows his job and he's quite good at it, which is why his first instinct after getting the boot will be to look for basically the same job anywhere else. I expect him to be a candidate for the Port or North jobs sooner or later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They changed the rules for clubs like North/Suns but I guess contracts are different for the WA clubs because they aren't owned by the AFL.

Adelaide had the same issue until their licence was handed to the AFL a few years ago. Not sure about Port.
Board control was tied to both clubs move from West Lakes to Adelaide Oval, due to the AFL facilitating the loans to buy back the licenses from the SANFL, which happened at the same time

Adelaide due to get control back in 2028

I believe the rules were changed for clubs who took out loans / additional funding through the AFL during Covid

Adelaide, like WC, funded themself through Covid along with 4-5 other clubs

Last edited:
Word of advice to the Eagles - if Paul Roos offers himself as a mentor for a new coach, hang up the phone immediately, block him on LinkedIn, delete his number, etc.
Melbourne will disagree with you as would Sydney.

Word of advice to the Eagles - if Paul Roos offers himself as a mentor for a new coach, hang up the phone immediately, block him on LinkedIn, delete his number, etc.
Is that the same Roos who mentored Horse and Goodwin who both won flags.

Just because he made a little quip about your club doesn't mean he doesn't have any value.

HOW DOES A PROFESSIONAL CLUB NOT KNOW WHO WILL BE COACHING THEM THIS WEEK BEFORE YOU HOLD A PRESS CONFERENCE.

That is ineptitude the likes of which we haven't seen in the AFL in literal decades.

That should be sufficient for the West Coast board to be stood down.

Absolute scenes. Seriously.

Simmo should follow the Ray Patterson model from The Simpsons;

1720502272719.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back