Skill Errors and Bad Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee some of you blokes are dills. I'm not talking about the in close stuff. I'm talking about blokes who receive the ball out in the clear and cough it up. Blokes like Crawford receive the ball on the wing 20 metres from an opponent and kick it straight to the opposition. Hawthorn coughed the ball up 3 times in the first 5 minutes in such circumstances.

Both teams did it. LIke I said, too may unforced errors. It was not a game that showed off its classc ball hansling skills. How many spectacular marks did we see?
piss off troll.
We might take you seriously when you actually make a finals series.

Tremendous game of footy and one of the most enjoyable I've watched that my team hasn't been involved with.

The courage and physicality of the players in Hawthorn's defence and their ability to use the ball well and calmly from the backline was the difference IMO.

Re the umpiring, it blatantly favoured the Cats. 3-4 of their first half goals were from frees/penalties and at least two of those could be easily debated. The trend continued after halftime with the frees in the Cats defence against Franklin and Roughead and the crazy down-field for Mitchell's hit on Ablett.

McLaren was the main culprit. Full marks to Hawthorn for rising above it. Their players did not go overboard in disputing decisions and time and time again their players bounced back up for the next contest when knocked to the ground.

Outstanding effort Hawks.

Lol at the OP, and HARD!

Shut down mate! Now just shut the f**k up and everyone will be happy. (cept you but nobody gives a toss)

Oh, and Carlton played such a better game toda........oh hang on, forgot....Carltank don't play finals footy.

cracking game. a lot of pressure. you knew that was the hawks plan to win.

umpiring was just frustrating
Mclaren was, dare i say it, pathetic. to think the game nearly lost hird over this fool. i know who will still be remembered as a great in 10 years time and who won't

1-pulling brown back - didnt seem to mind the cats players playing on. joke

2-down field or advantage; pick one.

3-scarlett fell over = free kick

4-bateman pushed to ground, manhandled. grabs the guys ankle - nowhere near getting to a contest cos he was too busy holding bateman down, and that gets penalised.

5-the 2 1st quarter free goals to the cats.

6-whats buddy gotta do to get a free kick or touch someone without giving one away.

Sorry everyone, I was wrong. It was one of the most classic skill-laden GFs we've seen in a long time. We saw the game at its skillful best.

Wow, your OP makes me seriously wonder if youve seen a grand final before. Geelong eventually capitulated going into their forward fifty, yesah...regardless, disposal effiency of both teams?

geelong - 76.52, hawthorn 80.99 ,, doesnt seem that bad? anyway, why the envy mate? brightest of bright future at carltank!(?)

I didn't notice the umps too much today. They certainly didn't have any influence on the flow or outcome of the game. Shaun Ryan made an error awarding a free kick "down field" to Steve Johnson rather than Cam Ling, but it was hardly a hanging offense. Hardly noticed McLaren or Vozzo, and I am usually a harsh critic of both.

cracking game. a lot of pressure. you knew that was the hawks plan to win.

umpiring was just frustrating
Mclaren was, dare i say it, pathetic. to think the game nearly lost hird over this fool. i know who will still be remembered as a great in 10 years time and who won't

1-pulling brown back - didnt seem to mind the cats players playing on. joke

2-down field or advantage; pick one.

3-scarlett fell over = free kick

4-bateman pushed to ground, manhandled. grabs the guys ankle - nowhere near getting to a contest cos he was too busy holding bateman down, and that gets penalised.

5-the 2 1st quarter free goals to the cats.

6-whats buddy gotta do to get a free kick or touch someone without giving one away.

that assessment is pretty much on the money, and I'm glad to see that a few non-hawthorn people have been watching this game to see with their own eyes the sort of rubbish, one-sided umpiring we have received all year! seems that hawthorn deserve the assumption of guilt in all 50-50 situations...

(still. doesn't matter now, cos we won the bloody thing!! :D)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't notice the umps too much today. They certainly didn't have any influence on the flow or outcome of the game. Shaun Ryan made an error awarding a free kick "down field" to Steve Johnson rather than Cam Ling, but it was hardly a hanging offense. Hardly noticed McLaren or Vozzo, and I am usually a harsh critic of both.
Didn't u notice the other 3 goals the umpires gave Geelong.

A lot of soft decisions

skill errors = ottens sucks more than 12 yr olds i know
that was ridiculous

i say that umpriring has been dodgy since they changed the holding the ball rule - i think they were a bit harsh in the drastic nature of the change

The standard of play was fine, but the umpires were shocking. At one stage I thought they were all set to really ruin the spectacle, Hawthorn were getting shafted. Luckily the Hawks won anyway so the umpiring didn't affect the result so it didn't matter.

The down field free was a joke as was the one against Franklin were they said he pushed Scarlett over, ****ing pathetic that one.

Good teams overcome bias umpiring, the AFL wanted a "dynasty" and instructed their umps accordingly. Unlike the Pies in 2002/03 Hawthorn overcame the umps as well as their opposite team.

Good teams overcome bias umpiring, the AFL wanted a "dynasty" and instructed their umps accordingly. Unlike the Pies in 2002/03 Hawthorn overcame the umps as well as their opposite team.

What utter garbage.

If the AFL want "dynasties" so much, why do they even bother with a salary cap?

I would have thought the AFL would be more happy that there have been
four different Premiers in the last four years.

As for 02/03......so now the Pies only lost because of the Umps?

HAHAHAHAHA.

yep, mclaren was it?

the guy thinks he's bigger than the game, he's a stooge.

the sooner he gets cut the better.

he really is a pathetic joke and the worst umpire in the game.

:thumbsu: Well said Dan! I posted the same thing on the umpires board last week and was shot down by the umps and their fans.

He is so soft and overly technical that it destroys any sort of one on one contest:thumbsdown:

What utter garbage.

If the AFL want "dynasties" so much, why do they even bother with a salary cap?

Um, Brisbane was allowed an EXTRA Million dollars in their salary cap during the Premiership years....

As for 02/03......so now the Pies only lost because of the Umps?

Nah if we were good enough we would have beat Brisbane no matter what. We were NOT good enough to beat a team that could afford to pay an Extra Million Dollars in the salary cap.

This game was a good contest.

Umpiring was terrible in the 1st half. Didnt get a lot better. McLaren should never umpire another big game. Ever.

There were plenty of turnovers and skill errors both under pressure and without but quite simply every possession in a GF has added pressure.

Many people will remember and refer to this game as a great GF. It was good but maybe it was more about who was playing rather than what they did. It was scrappy at times, open at other times. There was plenty of missed opportunities and slow play. Hawthorn rushed 11 behinds. If the jumpers were different lets say it was Sydney V Fremantle then I am quite sure many people would be saying the game was error riddled crap with tactics that are outside the spirit of the game. There was a fair bit of sniping and a few heads shots.

I loved the game because it was a contest, a war of attrition, last man standing......all those cliches. For pure footballing skill and ability it was ordinary. There was limited Buddy magic, Scarlett was forced to play the traditional FB role, Steve Johnson got nowhere near the goals which is where he hurts the opposition and excites the crowd, Bartell went missing after quarter time.

There were touches of magic, Dews cameo in the 3rd quarter was sensational, Rioli everytime he got the ball, Mooneys goal from the boundary, Ablett and Franklin kicking successive goals which added a spark and threatened to lift the game to bigger heights, Youngs dash in the 1st half.

Overall the OP has a valid point.

Game was great to watch because you always thought that Geelong were going to come out and break the game open like they've done all year, this kept us all on the edges of our seats but instead Hawthorn just kept fighting and nullifyed Geelong from breaking the game open. The game was won by shear determination.

This would have to be one of the worst GFs in many years as far as poor quality football goes. I have bever seen so much fumbling under little pressure by so many on both teams. The disposal by Hawthorn in the first quarter was shocking. They coughed the ball up time and time again with handballs and kicks going astray more times than I can recall.

Geelong's forward work was dismal. Too much lairising in my opinion. Ottens not handballing over the top and missing from point blank was classic.

The umpiring decisions favoured Geelong. They got the ones that were doubtful and Hawthorn didn't.

This was not a great GF but it was good for the competition.

Go and watch the game again and count the unforced clangers.

Terrible thread

It was a great GF, every possession was hard fought and well earned. Pressure from both sides was fantastic.

The thread is valid
It was an average GF made more interesting by the fact the underdogs got up, huge crowd, (both Vic teams helps). It was a hard slog which fizzled at the end. Still better than last year but nothing compared with the excitement of the Syd v WC games

yep, mclaren was it?

the guy thinks he's bigger than the game, he's a stooge.

the sooner he gets cut the better.

he really is a pathetic joke and the worst umpire in the game.

The guy sticks out like dog's balls (maybe a physical resemblance as well?) with his undue and often erroneous interference. It is definitively not his role to do this in the way, and as often, as he does.

Maybe a petition is needed calling for him to be relegated to the Auskick games at half time.
Not fair on the kids I know. Where else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Skill Errors and Bad Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back