Skipworth -> Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

He'll be a decent pick up for the Dons. Honest, has had some pretty brilliant games here and there and will help fill the gap of experience (somewhat) left by Peverill and Jason Johnson.

Our midfield would be far better served by having him playing on a wing. Skipworth has the ability to play like a general at stoppages and has very good footy brain. How many times do guys like Watson win the ball, look for a handball and there is no-one there. Not once have I mentioned who is a better player.

lol...Skipworth would be lucky to get a game

Maybe this is why the OP thinks you need more depth.
Is it Stanton, Watson & McVeigh?

Because if that's your top 3 then you definitely need to add some depth.

*waits for the cry of Houli, Dempsey & whatever 19 year old who has played 6 games to be mentioned*

I think you mean to say we lack star power in our midfield, which is true. Depth is the players that aren't in the top 3.

Would love for Skippy to be around the club in a mentoring capacity but the fact of the matter is that if he is in fact picked up, he won't be seeing a lot of game time unless quite a few injuries occur. A the moment he is behind:

Mcveigh (clearly our best mid ATM, no matter what DWD says)
Stanton
Houli
Myers
Lonergan
Prismall
Winderlich
Reimers
Welsh
Watson
Lovett

As full time Midfielders/wingers, although he could come in if one of the younger guys needs a break or might have a niggling injury. He's a solid contributor and at 26 could be a very good depth player, but i hope the club aren't giving him the wrong impression in terms of game time, because he will be a fringe player there to give some maturity to a young side off the field more so than on the field.

Edit: (Didn't mention dempsey because he will play off the HBF)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy about this pick up regardless if he plays much football, his leadership, work ethic and mentoring of the young blokes (Scott Gumbleton, David Myers, Tayte Pears and Kyle Reimers) will be invaluable in fast tracking their development, who are crucial to our future success, would have been a shame to lose such a good influence back to his home in SA.

Very happy about this pick up regardless if he plays much football, his leadership, work ethic and mentoring of the young blokes (Scott Gumbleton, David Myers, Tayte Pears and Kyle Reimers) will be invaluable in fast tracking their development, who are crucial to our future success, would have been a shame to lose such a good influence back to his home in SA.

i dont think that we needed skipworth for his mentoring leadership etc.

yes he is a great influence on the younger players and they look up to him etc but i think with players like lloyd lucas fletcher welsh mcveigh we have enough leadership already.

if he turns into a solid best 22 player then it was a good pick up, if not then it was a bit of a waste imo.

i think he will be pretty good for us both on and off the feild, his verstatility means that we have another option as a small defender which could prove very handy seeings we got anihilated my small forwards this year, milne medhurst etc. but also he is another tagging option and can run forward and kick goals., imo he will be valuable on field but if he isnt leadership and mentoring isnt enough validation for having a player on your senior list

i dont think that we needed skipworth for his mentoring leadership etc.

yes he is a great influence on the younger players and they look up to him etc but i think with players like lloyd lucas fletcher welsh mcveigh we have enough leadership already.

if he turns into a solid best 22 player then it was a good pick up, if not then it was a bit of a waste imo.

i think he will be pretty good for us both on and off the feild, his verstatility means that we have another option as a small defender which could prove very handy seeings we got anihilated my small forwards this year, milne medhurst etc. but also he is another tagging option and can run forward and kick goals., imo he will be valuable on field but if he isnt leadership and mentoring isnt enough validation for having a player on your senior list

Disagree, While we already have a group of leaders, none of them have contact with the boys like Skip does. Considering he lives with them (Myers, Pears and Reimers), as they are all interstate boys and the 'go home factor' is getting bigger in this day and age, his leadership is vital. IMO he needs quite a lot of work to be in our best 22 but is a good depth player none the less.

Disagree, While we already have a group of leaders, none of them have contact with the boys like Skip does. Considering he lives with them (Myers, Pears and Reimers), as they are all interstate boys and the 'go home factor' is getting bigger in this day and age, his leadership is vital. IMO he needs quite a lot of work to be in our best 22 but is a good depth player none the less.

I think skipworth was drafted purely on good form in the VFL. If it was just leadership/mentorship around the club, he doesn't need to be on the senior list to offer that.

I hope he makes the step up this time, and can be a regular senior player.

Its impossible to say if he needs to do a lot of work to be in the best 22. I am sure Knights will give him a crack pretty early on just to see though.

I think skipworth was drafted purely on good form in the VFL. If it was just leadership/mentorship around the club, he doesn't need to be on the senior list to offer that.

I hope he makes the step up this time, and can be a regular senior player.

Its impossible to say if he needs to do a lot of work to be in the best 22. I am sure Knights will give him a crack pretty early on just to see though.

He kinda did need to be on the senior list because if we didn't draft him he was moving back to Adelaide. IMO he isn't in our top 30 players, whether it be skill wise or potential/looking toward the future.

The rumour is he has attitude problems at Adelaide. But all a player can do is go and dominate the VFL...which he did. Proves his head is back on the task.

Yeah nah, the 'rumour' is he was a spud at AFL level (too small, too slow, struggles to kick 50m) but probably too good for SANFL/VFL level (knows how to find it, good work ethic).

Dime-a-dozen nearly man.

Maybe Knights just saw that one game where he kicked 3 goals in as many minutes? Other than that, he was very frustrating. Always appeared to have the talent but couldn't put enough good games together. I hope he does well at Essendon though, I'm always happy to see one of our former players get another chance somewhere else.

Maybe Knights just saw that one game where he kicked 3 goals in as many minutes? Other than that, he was very frustrating. Always appeared to have the talent but couldn't put enough good games together. I hope he does well at Essendon though, I'm always happy to see one of our former players get another chance somewhere else.
Pretty sure he would have managed to catch a game or two during the 2 years he's played at our reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Skipworth -> Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back