Toast Slammin' Sammy Kerridge

Remove this Banner Ad

I like him but as I have said before I don't see star potential in him. Doesn't have the genuine class or that real poise/time that the really really talented youngsters do. When you look at guys like Crouch, Wines, O'meara etc. you can tell they have that extra bit of time and have the star quality when they play as well. Not a knock on Kerridge, I just think he'll turn into a solid player but no star, that's all. His best quality is his discipline, he completely nullified Birchall apart from 1 or 2 occasions which was his job tonight.

There are what, two dozen players of that quality in the AFL?

We aren't going to have a team of Dangerfields or Sloanes.

Just looking at the stats. At the same age, Thommo had played 13 games to Kerridge's 3. Other than that, there's not a whole lot between their stats "at the same age".

The best comparison has been made by WW who suggested Kane Johnson. He started as a tall, hard running tagger and ended as a key midfielder.

There are what, two dozen players of that quality in the AFL?

We aren't going to have a team of Dangerfields or Sloanes.
I know that, Crouch, O'Meara, Wines aren't there yet, however I'm saying they have potential to be in the top echelon of footballers while for me, Kerridge doesn't appear to have that ceiling. I think best case scenario, a Brad Sewell type of footballer is what Kerridge could turn into, they are similar style footballers actually.

I like him but as I have said before I don't see star potential in him. Doesn't have the genuine class or that real poise/time that the really really talented youngsters do. When you look at guys like Crouch, Wines, O'meara etc. you can tell they have that extra bit of time and have the star quality when they play as well. Not a knock on Kerridge, I just think he'll turn into a solid player but no star, that's all. His best quality is his discipline, he completely nullified Birchall apart from 1 or 2 occasions which was his job tonight.

He doesnt have to be a star. There are plenty of players out there that play consistent footy and deliver ever week with out being the star. I liked what I saw in Kerridge.

The best comparison has been made by WW who suggested Kane Johnson. He started as a tall, hard running tagger and ended as a key midfielder.
Not an unfair comparison. Fingers crossed he turns out to be that good - Kane Johnson went on to play over 220 AFL games (including 104 for Adelaide). 200 game players do not come along every day - Rutten just became Adelaide's 11th 200+ game player, in a 23 year history.

Not an unfair comparison. Fingers crossed he turns out to be that good - Kane Johnson went on to play over 220 AFL games (including 104 for Adelaide). 200 game players do not come along every day - Rutten just became Adelaide's 11th 200+ game player, in a 23 year history.

Johnno quickly developed an ability to find and use space. Ironically VB was one who I thought would be a Johnno type but hasn't come on well enough IMO.

I know that, Crouch, O'Meara, Wines aren't there yet, however I'm saying they have potential to be in the top echelon of footballers while for me, Kerridge doesn't appear to have that ceiling. I think best case scenario, a Brad Sewell type of footballer is what Kerridge could turn into, they are similar style footballers actually.
Sewll is great in traffic, has good lateral movement and is deceptively quick- nothing like Kerridge. Kane Johnson also excelled in traffic and had possibly one of the best hanball in the game

Much improved game by Kerridge today - much improved. :thumbsu:

I think you're right about where he will end up - a solid player but no star. As King Elvis says though, there aren't a lot of them around.

He did do a good job though tonight on Birchall and got a reasonable amount of his own ball, plus a couple of goals for good measure in a pressure cooker game against a quality side.

The ball's in his court now. Play like that every week, and Petrenko will be playing at WWT each week.

If he'd kicked straight we'd be lining up to blow him by now.

The fact that he tagged a bloke well, and still got numerous shots on goal... that's pretty bloody good. Hopefully when VB is back... Reilly is out.

That's carrying your personal prejudice to ridiculous levels.

Reilly played very well today - one of our best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My hand is up as someone who has stated I'd not seen anything in him before.

Was good tonight. Very good overhead. Composed for set shots. Very good defensively. Pets should be worried.

Remember having a conversation with you about him and agreeing with your sentiments. Didn't see where he was going to fit into the side. Must admit I never even considered it might be as a tagger who tries to hurt the opposition the other way.

I wonder - when VB comes back, what will happen then? Will Kerridge continue the role and release VB to be a more attacking midfielder? Will VB plug one of our other holes? Or will Kerridge change roles/be forced out?

Remember having a conversation with you about him and agreeing with your sentiments. Didn't see where he was going to fit into the side. Must admit I never even considered it might be as a tagger who tries to hurt the opposition the other way.

I wonder - when VB comes back, what will happen then? Will Kerridge continue the role and release VB to be a more attacking midfielder? Will VB plug one of our other holes? Or will Kerridge change roles/be forced out?
Based on last night's performance, you'd have to hope that it's Petrenko who has lost his job, with VB displacing some other poor unfortunate - possibly Wright (given his lack of performance after being selected as sub).

you'd have to hope that it's Petrenko who has lost his job

Vader likes this :thumbsu:

In all fairness, Kerridge did what we're always asking Petrenko to do - nullify the quarterback defender and maybe kick a couple of goals. Remember that Petrenko wasn't injured, he was omitted for form: Kerridge won't be dislodged from that position if Pets can't do better than that.

Like King Elvis said, if he'd nailed the other two goals, the line would form to the left.

Why can't I ever link to people who have a space in their name?!?!?!

edit: hey, it worked

Kerridge was given Petrenko's task - small defensive forward. He achieved everything that Petrenko does in that role - and more. Not only was he good defensively, he also provided an offensive capability which Pets can't come close to matching. On that basis, Kerridge has taken Petrenko's position in the team - and I'm not sure that there is any other position on the ground where Petrenko has a realistic chance of being selected.

Kerridge was given Petrenko's task - small defensive forward. He achieved everything that Petrenko does in that role - and more. Not only was he good defensively, he also provided an offensive capability which Pets can't come close to matching. On that basis, Kerridge has taken Petrenko's position in the team - and I'm not sure that there is any other position on the ground where Petrenko has a realistic chance of being selected.
Probably only a chance if he plays in defence for the Eagles, Smith/Brown/Laird (assuming he comes straight back in)/etc. get injured AND Sando re-considers his thoughts on playing him in defence.

Kerridge should be in the team for a while now.

My hand is up as someone who has stated I'd not seen anything in him before.

Was good tonight. Very good overhead. Composed for set shots. Very good defensively. Pets should be worried.
I laughed at how he was visibly seeking permission from senior players to take set shots. Just kick it son!

And aren't you enjoying this immensely.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Slammin' Sammy Kerridge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back