smalls draft or rookie chances

Remove this Banner Ad

jock_burns

Debutant
Suspended
Sep 9, 2004
Other Teams
kangaroos
What is everyones opinion about who may have a chance.

Bowe 174
Phillips 174
Anderson 174
Nahas 175

Better still is there any room for these sought of players and others coming through they seem( AFL Clubs) to be looking taller and taller

There is room for that sort of player still but have to be exceptionally quick, great front and centre players, and also have a penetrating kick. I reckon none of these blokes are quite there.

Driscoll?

Bill Drsicoll captain of the Ballarat rebels had a quiet championships but has kicked a lot of goals this year in the TAC, only 174 cm but a huge talent.

For a small to be drafted from my point of view they have to have the following strings to their bow

1- Goal sence, they have to be able to crumb of the packs (ie Matera, Milne and Mahoney)

2- good marks for their size (ie Matera, Mahoney)

3- courage in packs, they have to have the ability to get the ball out of a pack (ie James, Plattern, Mitchell). To do this they need to be able to keep their feet as much as possible

Pace and being able to kick the ball 60 meters is a bonus (side note is that all AFL should be able to kick 50m)

Based on this I find Phillips and Driscoll are a lot better alternatives.

footyman said:
oh there are so many lines i could use here...but i better not.

im going to stop bagging nahas and give him some praise ;)

ahaha good to hear footy man, didnt praise him but atleast you didnt bag him

missionpossible said:
For a small to be drafted from my point of view they have to have the following strings to their bow

1- Goal sence, they have to be able to crumb of the packs (ie Matera, Milne and Mahoney)

3- courage in packs, they have to have the ability to get the ball out of a pack (ie James, Plattern, Mitchell). To do this they need to be able to keep their feet as much as possible

Pace and being able to kick the ball 60 meters is a bonus (side note is that all AFL should be able to kick 50m)

Fortunato Caruso has:
Goal sense - he has kicked 26.13 for the year... 5th overall
Good mark for his size - no slouch with his hands
Courage in packs - hes had 260+ possessions... only 36 handball receives
Pace - Can run the 100 pretty quick... low 11s... great endurance
Kick - Both sides of body... absolutely brilliant
Height: 167cm.... give him one more year

missionpossible said:

Yeah this is Phillips to a tee but Driscoll lacks the marking ability.Phillips also has a touch of flair in his game that makes him good to watch.Also add to this list Matthew Campbell from N.T he is currently playing league for North Adelaide but is only 168cm.Had an average carnival but was tagged in each game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

grub29 said:
Yeah this is Phillips to a tee but Driscoll lacks the marking ability.Phillips also has a touch of flair in his game that makes him good to watch.Also add to this list Matthew Campbell from N.T he is currently playing league for North Adelaide but is only 168cm.Had an average carnival but was tagged in each game.

If my mail is correct Matthew Campbell was sent home from the carnival alang with corrie and McLean for being caught out on the grog at 5am in the morning. He would have to do a lot to remove this from recruiters minds.

Has any body heard of joel ohalloran from subiaco football club
picked in the 18,s squad but withdrew with injury very good in frt of goals
approx 180cm good hands i havent heard any thing since possibly a good pick up late in the draft? any opinions very good both sides of the body

Below are details of all currently listed players of 175cm or less, from this it does seem to suggest that the bulk of small players are on the wrong side of rookies age group with only 4 players 21 or younger. It would seem in my opinion that you need to be bloody fantastic to get a gig at these heights in todays game

RFC David Rodan 08-October-1983 171
WCE Phillip Matera 27-November-1975 171
Hawks Kristan Height 22-June-1983 172
Roos Brent Harvey 14-May-1978 172
Carlton Eddie Betts 26-November-1986 173
WCE David Wirrpunda 03-August-1979 173
Freo Peter Bell 01-March-1976 174
Freo Jeff Farmer 24-June-1977 174
Geelong Shannon Byrnes 07-April-1984 174
Hawks Chance Bateman 21-June-1981 174
Hawks Shane Crawford 09-September-1974 174
Hawks Harry Miller 11-June-1985 174
RFC Andrew Krakouer 04-February-1983 174
Freo Byron Schammer 21-June-1985 175
Freo Dylan Smith 18-July-1982 175
Syd Jared Crouch 05-March-1978 175
Syd David Spriggs 25-January-1981 175
WCE Michael Braun 24-March-1978 175

Matt Wade, didn'thave a good carnival for tassie he is only 174, kicked 7 goals for tassie in a tac cup game good around packs and stoppages, nice left foot a bit slow but might go late in draft or rookie. his old man played for hawthon Scott only played about 30 games but, matt will get a close look at

grub29 said:
but Driscoll lacks the marking ability.
You musn't have seen a lot of driscoll mate becasue he is a great mark, probably nearly his greatest strength.. Seen him take a lot of marks over much taller and stronger opponents.

grub29 said:

Matthew Campbell returned to the North Adelaide league side on the weekend. He runs hard all day, is very very quick, lays a lot of strong tackles, fights hard and chases to keep the ball in the forward 50 and has a good goal sense and plenty of flair. He is not very strong overhead however, and doesnt yet have the capacity to play in the midfield for large periods of the game.

I don't think he will be picked up to be honest but he might be worth a shot as an Aaron Davey type player late in the draft.

gosubi said:
Has any body heard of joel ohalloran from subiaco football club
picked in the 18,s squad but withdrew with injury very good in frt of goals
approx 180cm good hands i havent heard any thing since possibly a good pick up late in the draft? any opinions very good both sides of the body

joel ohalloran very smart footballer equally as natural on both sides of the body hittin targets 50metres plus, definately will be considered late in the draft, has an eye for the goals dangerous up forward

jock_burns said:
What is everyones opinion about who may have a chance.

Bowe 174
Phillips 174
Anderson 174
Nahas 175

Better still is there any room for these sought of players and others coming through they seem( AFL Clubs) to be looking taller and taller

Played against both Phillips and Nahas many times... Phillips plays tougher than his size shows. He's deceivingly strong and I could see him cope in the midfield.

Nahas is much more an outside player, and a very good one, but probably doesn't have the body to be drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

smalls draft or rookie chances

Remove this Banner Ad

Back